TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hello from a new member, and a quick question

CLEAN

Hey guys and gals, first time poster here. I'll get right to it, I rented a GT-H last year and spent a week w/ it in Florida, LOVED the car. I've thought off and on about picking one up, but a few things have held me back. I wouldn't mind a stick, and I'd like to do a few mods to the car. I thought about the Shelby GT, but really don't care for the Silver stripes, the faux hood scoop, or the black wheels. Obviously these things are easy enough to change out, but then I'm out more money than I would have been than if I would have just bought the GT-H. Another option I've thought of is just picking up a black/black GT, and basically building a clone of the GT-H, but w/ some appearance mods (spoiler, wheels, grille, hood). I wouldn't try to pass it off as a GT-H, but I would probably closely copy it, as I love the black and gold. I guess I'm still deciding on one of 2 uses for the car....1) I can build a clone and feel free to mod it to my liking, and beat on it if I so desire, and feel free to take it to more places than I otherwise would if it were an original, or 2) buy an original GT-H, live w/ the A5, be somewhat more cautious about the stewardship of the car, but get to join the GT-H family and own a piece of history. Has anyone here been confronted w/ a similar decision? I have another car for the work commute, but am looking for something for Fridays, weekend trips, and cruises, and if it were an original GT-H, I would probably show it some if there was interest from folks wanting to see one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and I'll thank you not to bash my GMness :-). Thanks again, happy to be here.

Welcome & Good luck in your hunt for a Hertz . Just a heads up be ready after your 10th post around here..

Hmmmmmmmmm, good or bad?

Another question, what documentation should I be looking for when going for a GT-H. I've read about stuff from Ford and Hertz, but haven't found a complete list.

Also, do these cars still carry any remaining factory warranty if they're withing age/mileage limits?

I'd say buy a GT-H and drive it. The prices are down in the 27K-32K range right now, so the time is right. I'm not sure that you can duplicate the appearance right now for close to that. So might as well just get one, enjoy it, and hopefully it will go up in value when you're done with it. Why are you stuck on the stick? Stock for stock, the auto cars are actually quicker than a stick. You can also add a tuner and really get it to shift much better and quicker. Welcome and go find your GT-H!

Hmmmmmmmmm, good or bad?

Another question, what documentation should I be looking for when going for a GT-H. I've read about stuff from Ford and Hertz, but haven't found a complete list.

Also, do these cars still carry any remaining factory warranty if they're withing age/mileage limits?

Hopefully good. The car should carry the remaining Ford warranty. These cars were all ordered as basic G.T`s & shipped to SAI then upgraded to the Shelby Hertz. Each car has Shelby plaque with a production # on it . A lot of owners try to get the paperwork from Hertz which gives the history of the car.

I'd say buy a GT-H and drive it. The prices are down in the 27K-32K range right now, so the time is right. I'm not sure that you can duplicate the appearance right now for close to that. So might as well just get one, enjoy it, and hopefully it will go up in value when you're done with it. Why are you stuck on the stick? Stock for stock, the auto cars are actually quicker than a stick. You can also add a tuner and really get it to shift much better and quicker. Welcome and go find your GT-H!

I like the sticks simply for the driver involvement it affords. Plus, w/ a car that sounds this good, I'd love to be in control of the exhaust note if that makes any sense. You're right about the money thing. I could clone it for a bit less, but for that little difference, I could have the real deal. I'm leaning towards getting an original, I always have, but at the same time, I want to be able to enjoy it and not have to worry about it everywhere I go.

And just to tell my quick Shelby story, I had either 253 or 263 out of Orlando in July '07. Had it for a week. Took it to the space center for a few days, then cross state and down to Fort Meyers. Not sure how many miles I put on it, but it was at least 2 tanks of gas. Didn't beat on it, had the family w/ me, but it was in pretty good condition when I had it, the expected minor dings, but nothing major. Everything was in working order. Good gawd it sounded good!

Buy the GTH. You can do some tasteful mods that could be put back to stock. The 2006 is really tied to to the 1966 heritage which I think is just awesome. I also say enjoy and drive it.

Yesterday I drove around for a Sunday drive. A person asksed me what I paid to rent the GTH. When I said I own the car, they about fell over. Pretty cool to share the history.

Jeff is also correct, the prices are down. Good time to buy. Seen some nice ones for sale. Make sure you get the HERTZ and SAI paper work

Good luck with your choice.

i agree w/ H0050 get the original gt-h. it will be well worth it all around. even if you drive it everyday.

there are not that many out there, if you are car crazy like the rest of us then there is no other option than an original. my 2 cents.

gene

I would also recommend the GT-H. Little piece of history there. There is also the option of buying a Mustang GT and modding it as a CS8. It has the same hood as the GT-H, similar suspension upgrades and the option to supercharge as well. You could do it yourself or have a Shelby Mod Shop build it for you. You could also forgoe or alter the stripes to your liking. The Shelby CS8s are not entered in the registry like the GT-H but come with a dash plaque if all the parts are purchased as a set. Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Welcome!

I can tell you if you get a GT-H you will love it. And I agree that the auto is much better, although I love driving a stick. I absolutely love mine. If you're stuck on a stick get a SGT and put on the CS6 hood. That's what I love most about my H. And the 20" Alcoas I just slapped on. Whatever you decide I'm sure you won't regret it. FWIW, I drive mine everyday and don't watch the miles. Oh, and if you pick up the H, I'm sure we can help you collect all the documentation.

Another item: If the car you purchase is a GTH, ckeck with the owner as they may have already obtained all the paper work from SAI and Hertz as the first private owner.

If the car was never owned by a private owner, then you can contact SAI and Hertz for the documentation and place it in the registry under your name.

Again, good luck

Thanks for all the advice guys! I've lurked a bit and tried to get up to speed on the Mustang/Shelby world, but I could certainly use some good advice once the time arrives.

Once you decide post your decision. We have a number of people in the car business that can locate the remaining cars for you.

That would be great! I'll be having to get out of my vette to make it happen, so it would be a bit more complicated than a cash purchase. I'll have to see where the market is on that, also not sure if the time of year, or GM's current predicament will affect it's value significantly.

Thanks again all, hopefully this will work out over the next few months.

Yeah, just go with buying a GT-H rather than spending the time cloning one, it is better to say that it is the "real" on instead of tellin people about what you did to make it look like one, or, if you just can't find a GT-H, get a Shelby GT, you dont have to have silver stripes, you can get it in whatever color you want, as for the hood scoop that you dont like, some of them have the "GT-H Style" hood.

Yeah, just go with buying a GT-H rather than spending the time cloning one, it is better to say that it is the "real" on instead of tellin people about what you did to make it look like one, or, if you just can't find a GT-H, get a Shelby GT, you dont have to have silver stripes, you can get it in whatever color you want, as for the hood scoop that you dont like, some of them have the "GT-H Style" hood.

Gotta have the Shelby hood, the fake riveted on scoop is retro to a fault to my eyes. You're saying I could get a black Shelby GT w/ gold stripes from the factory/Shelby, or are you talking aftermarket?

clean,

you can get a 2007 black shelby gt. then you would have to order a hood w/hood pins if wanted and the trim piece. then have the silver stripes removed and have the gold added.

Right. Yeah I remembered after I posted it that they only did the black cars for 1 year. Has anyone heard if Shelby will continue to do them w/ the new bodystyle?

Oh, the Shelby GT comes factory with just gold stripes? I thought that you could order it with any color you want, like the KR. At least, thats what they guy at our Ford dealership told me. :headscratch:

Guy at the Ford dealership lied to you then. All Shelby GT's only came with Silver stripes accept for the BJ wich was only Black with Red Stripes. Only the Hertz cars came with Gold Stripes.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience after owning my GT-H for over a year is that the Warranty on 06 Shelby GT-H cars may depend on how the car was purchased. If the car is purchased through an Auth Ford dealer it should have 'Ford Certified Pre-Owned Warranty' which entitles owner to basic powertrain coverage, 6 years from New Vehicle Warranty start date or 75,000 miles, whichever comes first. Technically, GT-H cars are not given the same 36 month warranty coverage where all components are covered the first 3 years or 36,000 miles. ( I found this out the hard way!!). However, I have found that some dealers will treat you as if it does have full coverage either because they don't know or just want to out of goodwill. ie. my battery was replaced after 4 months ownership.

According to Ford Customer Service, whom I've discussed this with recently regarding another mechanical issue, it is due to the fact that these cars were first in the Hertz rental fleet before being purchased by the public that Ford will not honor a full warranty covering ALL components......which was a shock to me since I was led to believe that the car had the same warranty as any other Ford product with less than 3yrs/36000 miles. Since my car was Pre-Certified and purchased through a Ford Dealer, I at least have the basic powertrain warranty and roadside assistance. Anything else depends on the dealer's discretion.

I do not know if the Pre-Cert Warranties are transferrable to the next owner or not. I would check this out before buying. And, according to Ford's Customer Service people, not all GT-Hs are covered under any Ford warranty so this is definitely something to consider before buying. Ford Customer Service phone number if interested is: 800-392-3673

Good Luck,

Hal B. #0430

Archived