TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust Questions

OK, I guess I'm hearing too many regular GT's that sound better than my SGT does out there now...Only problem is that I live in an area where we have yearly emissions inspections, and I don't want to have to try to crawl under the car and replace the non catted x pipe with the stock catted x pipe just for inspection and then do it all again after an inspection....so what other options are there that give the SGT a nice growl? Oh, one other thing that I don't want to lose are the double wall tips on the stock mufflers, but I also don't want to have to cut them off of the stock mufflers either...any replacements that are double wall like the stocks??? I know a lot of you have gone mufferless, but what about the tips? Did you find some that match the stock tips? If so, where?

Any help would be appreciated...

Unless your brave enough to let someone else drive it while you stand outside the car your only hearing the car from the inside. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but remember, they sound different inside and out. Therefore, its understandable why your hearing "regular GT's that sound better". Those regular GT owners may be posting on other mustang forums asking for advice on how to get their GT to sound like your SGT.

I enjoy the sound of the SGT from the inside. Ive also heard a few other SGT's from the outside, I think they sound just like they should.

Just a thought.

I have the Corsa ultimate touring axle back exhaust. They have double walled exhaust tips and have a lifetime warranty, they have on there web site a sound clip on a GT500, their car I assume, has mods because it's not quite as loud on my car. I do have my car exhaust video taped when I take off very aggressively and a couple of drive-by's. If someone could PM me on how to down load the video on this site I would be more than happy to do it.

I got them at Streetsideauto.com best price I could find, around $680.

Unless your brave enough to let someone else drive it while you stand outside the car your only hearing the car from the inside. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but remember, they sound different inside and out. Therefore, its understandable why your hearing "regular GT's that sound better". Those regular GT owners may be posting on other mustang forums asking for advice on how to get their GT to sound like your SGT.

I enjoy the sound of the SGT from the inside. Ive also heard a few other SGT's from the outside, I think they sound just like they should.

Just a thought.

Not insulting my intelligence Reino, I know it's quieter inside the car, but the only time I really notice the SGT sounding really good is when I'm getting on it pretty good...Then, yes, it sounds fine! I just miss the lower growl when she's idling and in the lower RPM's...My 96 GT with Flowmasters sounded good all the time, but I also know that was a totally different exhaust system as well with the mufflers closer to the interior of the car rather than at the rear of the car....

OK, I guess I'm hearing too many regular GT's that sound better than my SGT does out there now...Only problem is that I live in an area where we have yearly emissions inspections, and I don't want to have to try to crawl under the car and replace the non catted x pipe with the stock catted x pipe just for inspection and then do it all again after an inspection....so what other options are there that give the SGT a nice growl? Oh, one other thing that I don't want to lose are the double wall tips on the stock mufflers, but I also don't want to have to cut them off of the stock mufflers either...any replacements that are double wall like the stocks??? I know a lot of you have gone mufferless, but what about the tips? Did you find some that match the stock tips? If so, where?

Not sure if you saw this thread or not...I was following it for some time but haven't been keeping up with it lately. Craig

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34668

Carl,

I went with the SLP Loudmouths. Cats weren't touched, this was axle back, just removed the mufflers. Interior wise, not to much louder than stock, except when WOT! Sounds awesome with the windows down, which now is just about always! (No officers of the law have approached me about overly loud exhaust!) Only a couple of negatives: 1) An occasional squeak from the exhaust when going over bumps that I think I can eliminate with a little under-the-car time. 2) A strange harmonic vibration/whine that occurs right around 2900 rpm. It sounds like it's coming from the back parcel tray area, but I haven't been able to lock it down yet. My nephew has a GT with the same set-up and he reported this as well. It's annoying, but since I'm not often steady at 2900 rpm, I've tended to ignore it. 3) The tips on the SLP's are really nice, but don't look like the stock tips. They are slightly smaller in diameter, and are angle cut, with the SLP logo on the top. The stock tips have a more tucked-in look, that is they are tucked into the rear valance better than the SLPs and fit/fill the cut-outs better.

All in all, this is a good mod and is easily removed/reinstalled in about an hour or so to fit your mood! I can post pics later.

Sam

AKA:

If you think ours are quite then you need to listen to the GT500. I was at a car-show last week and parked next to a GT 500. His car sounded like a family sedan compared to ours. Maybe we are just getting hard of hearing Carl.

Aw Man! That isn't what I wanted to hear! LOL But, that could very well be part of the problem too...old ears...of course, 30 years of firearms qualifications for law enforcement without using ear muffs, probably didn't do me any good either...Would someone answer that darn door bell???

Pics of SLP's:

From the back, note they don't fill the cut-outs like stock:

back.jpg

From the side, angle cut, nice finish, adjustable length, (about 2-3 inches):

side.jpg

From the top:

top.jpg

Underneath, easy install/removal, uses stock hangers:

underneath.jpg

Upclose, SLP logo on top, rolled edges, double-wall tail pipe, all stainless steel:

upclose.jpg

Sam

AKA:

Pics of SLP's:

From the back, note they don't fill the cut-outs like stock:

back.jpg

From the side, angle cut, nice finish, adjustable length, (about 2-3 inches):

side.jpg

From the top:

top.jpg

Underneath, easy install/removal, uses stock hangers:

underneath.jpg

Upclose, SLP logo on top, rolled edges, double-wall tail pipe, all stainless steel:

upclose.jpg

Sam

Interesting, but it looks like I could visit a local muffler shop, have them bend a little pipe and buy some stock type tips for a whole lot less than what SLP wants for that setup...Guess I'll have to look into a muffler delete option...at least I can keep the originals should I desire to go back to stock. Thanks Sam!

AKA:

I just removed the Borla S mufflers that I bought and installed my new Ford Racing mufflers in their place.

These new ones sound amazing. The old Borlas didn't sound much different than stock.

These Ford Racing mufflers, however, give my SGT the deep, mean sound I've been wanting.

Ken

I just removed the Borla S mufflers that I bought and installed my new Ford Racing mufflers in their place.

These new ones sound amazing. The old Borlas didn't sound much different than stock.

These Ford Racing mufflers, however, give my SGT the deep, mean sound I've been wanting.

Ken

Which Ford Racing mufflers did you install?

• 1 month later...
Here is my M-5230-5GT w/ 8' resinators WOT at the track, these are not CA legal

th_DSCN0092.jpg

Actually, after watching that, I LOVE the sound of the Supercharger coming at you versus the sound of the pipes going away!!! I need a part time job so I can save some money and get me a Supercharger!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived