TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Quality Control on Shelby

GT500RagTop

See this link on quality control for Shelby. Not sure if guy is blowing smoke or if its legit. The mod seems to know him.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400

Did anyone else notice how this guy went back & edited all his post to 2 or 3 words? The 2nd post by someone else was a reply to what he originally wrote & even then he never listed any of the problems he was told about his car? Maybe the moderator went in & changed his comments because it's negative info on a very highly board for info..... but not as good as this one!

Did anyone else notice how this guy went back & edited all his post to 2 or 3 words? The 2nd post by someone else was a reply to what he originally wrote & even then he never listed any of the problems he was told about his car? Maybe the moderator went in & changed his comments because it's negative info on a very highly board for info..... but not as good as this one!

Coldwater, It does not sound like you read the entire thread or reason it was not posted at first. Later in post it clearly says the more serious flaws in car.

The reason it was not posted here on a much larger site was simply for it to not be as exposed. We surely would not want the masses to know the Shelby is not perfect right? The car has some pretty major issues as do some others. From a very good source This car:

1) Dent in top of Rt quarter panel

2) 2 Dents in top of LT quarter

3) Major Major flaw is a masking tape line going down center of left quarter approx 18" long where you can feel the edge with your finger

4) Dirt spots under clear coat

5) Dirt in new clear coat

6) very poor sheet metal alignment on entire car.

7) Hood has been replaced

8) Rt fender shape does not match door properly

9) Over spray between rt fender and "A" pilar

10) Rt door does not match rt 1/4

11) Body lines on Rt door and 1/4 do not match up along with mldgs for convertible top

12) Deck lid is crooked match on both quarter panels yet top of deck looks ok

13) Major orange peel on car

14) Windshield was marked with Engineering hold because of cars problems

15) Left Fender bottom does not align with door

16) Car has serious road vibration

17) Dirt in front bumper cover

18) Masking tape line on LT quarter at deck lid

19) Tail Pipes are very very crooked & the alignment tabs will not allow them to be adjusted properly

20) Car was a Monday build..........

21) Ford is dragging their feet on a resolution

22.5) Tell me you would want this car & I can pass it on to owner

22.9) Ford has already attempted to repair some of this cars problems mainly paint and alignment issues prior to leaving plant. He would like to know if FORD was aware of this cars issues why did they let it go?

The person who owns this car is a long time Stangs Unleashed poster. Now that you have doubted him he said it was ok to post this lovely cars problems here. What would you do if this is the quality SHELBY you receive?

My 500 is black and I am quite impressed with the fit and finish. I would like to compare mine with another however as it almost sounds like insulation is missing in the back or there is an opening somewhere as every little road gravel sound like driving on bolders....

Coldwater, It does not sound like you read the entire thread or reason it was not posted at first. Later in post it clearly says the more serious flaws in car.

The reason it was not posted here on a much larger site was simply for it to not be as exposed. We surely would not want the masses to know the Shelby is not perfect right? The car has some pretty major issues as do some others. From a very good source This car:

1) Dent in top of Rt quarter panel

2) 2 Dents in top of LT quarter

3) Major Major flaw is a masking tape line going down center of left quarter approx 18" long where you can feel the edge with your finger

4) Dirt spots under clear coat

5) Dirt in new clear coat

6) very poor sheet metal alignment on entire car.

7) Hood has been replaced

8) Rt fender shape does not match door properly

9) Over spray between rt fender and "A" pilar

10) Rt door does not match rt 1/4

11) Body lines on Rt door and 1/4 do not match up along with mldgs for convertible top

12) Deck lid is crooked match on both quarter panels yet top of deck looks ok

13) Major orange peel on car

14) Windshield was marked with Engineering hold because of cars problems

15) Left Fender bottom does not align with door

16) Car has serious road vibration

17) Dirt in front bumper cover

18) Masking tape line on LT quarter at deck lid

19) Tail Pipes are very very crooked & the alignment tabs will not allow them to be adjusted properly

20) Car was a Monday build..........

21) Ford is dragging their feet on a resolution

22.5) Tell me you would want this car & I can pass it on to owner

22.9) Ford has already attempted to repair some of this cars problems mainly paint and alignment issues prior to leaving plant. He would like to know if FORD was aware of this cars issues why did they let it go?

The person who owns this car is a long time Stangs Unleashed poster. Now that you have doubted him he said it was ok to post this lovely cars problems here. What would you do if this is the quality SHELBY you receive?

TwinTurboBoss,

Sorry I struck a nerve of yours, let me explain.....

when I first clicked on that link I was able to see some post (not all appearently) & the ones I did read from that point forward of where the link took me didn't even come close to listing all the problems you have outlined or even some of them. YES those are VERY SERIOUS PROBLEMS & I would be furious also IF that's the way it was delivered to the dealer & to me. I'm not sure why your coming off so strong on what I wrote, I'm not hiding any info from other members GOOD or BAD NEWS.

I tried to click on that link again after reading your post & now it wants me to sign up first (sorry, not going to do it) so if you say all that was posted somewhere on that board at the sametime I wrote my comments, I'm sorry I struck your never but based I what I read that's the way it looked... I NEVER did see his list & I do my best to read or scan all threads for info before I post to make sure someone else didn't already address the issue.

Regardless of what was said the issue still remains as to why this happened, how it happened & why the orginal Stangsunleashed member kept quite about it while we continue to share all sorts of info for all to know about? Maybe this car is from the Speed TV show that crashes cars for movie stunts or was a test vehicle? Don't know but would like to know if the member is willing to come to us & tell us & not go thru as a communicator?

TwinTurboBoss,

when I first clicked on that link I was able to see some post (not all appearently) & the ones I did read from that point forward of where the link took me didn't even come close to listing all the problems you have outlined or even some of them. YES those are VERY SERIOUS PROBLEMS & I would be furious also IF that's the way it was delivered to the dealer & to me. I'm not sure why your coming off so strong on what I wrote, I'm not hiding any info from other members GOOD or BAD NEWS.

I tried to click on that link again after reading your post & now it wants me to sign up first (sorry, not going to do it) so if you say all that was posted somewhere on that board at the sametime I wrote my comments, I'm sorry I struck your never but based I what I read that's the way it looked... I NEVER did see his list & I do my best to read or scan all threads for info before I post to make sure someone else didn't already address the issue.

Regardless of what was said the issue still remains as to why this happened, how it happened & why the orginal Stangsunleashed member kept quite about it while we continue to share all sorts of info for all to know about? Maybe this car is from the Speed TV show that crashes cars for movie stunts or was a test vehicle? Don't know but would like to know if the member is willing to come to us & tell us & not go thru as a communicator?

When I went to the link I didn't see any of the issues as described here either. I thought that I had missed something?? After reading the findings, if it were me, there is no way I would have taken delivery. Not satisfied, don't want it, get me what I ordered.....

When I went to the link I didn't see any of the issues as described here either. I thought that I had missed something?? After reading the findings, if it were me, there is no way I would have taken delivery. Not satisfied, don't want it, get me what I ordered.....

Glad to here it just wasn't me that didn't see it also. Gald you chimed in StangFinally with that comment, I was starting to wonder if I wasn't going blind from Ruf posting that thong again :hysterical:

My 500 is black and I am quite impressed with the fit and finish. I would like to compare mine with another however as it almost sounds like insulation is missing in the back or there is an opening somewhere as every little road gravel sound like driving on bolders....

I noticed the same thing, about the road gravel. I think it's because of the extra meat on the tires. As for fit and finish, I could not be happier. When I put the car up in the air and looked really close, I could find a few imperfections in the body. Good thing is less filler. I would not trade for any other 07 GT500.

TwinTurboBoss,

So if this guy's car had so many obvious flaws, why did he take delivery? My car was 6 weeks overdue as well, and I assure you that I went over my car with a fine toothed comb when I went to pick it up.

Maybe the flaws really aren't that noticeable (not that there should be ANY, of course) and are only noticeable to the kind of person who cleans the waterspots off of the undercarriage of his car. :doh:

Coldwater, Sorry if it sounded directed at you. I was going to keep my mouth shut on the issue. Appears FORD is not real excited about coming to an early ending to the mess. Sent you a PM with other details.

Got the PM.... No hard feelings here, I just want to help the guy that is having the problems now that I know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey says... See if he has contacted Darryl Hazel to get this resolved? I hear he is the type of person who can pick up the phone & make something happen once he hears about.

As far as Jollys comments on inspection, maybe it was parked outside late at night when it was picked up & after the paperwork was signed. Remember some dealers we have heard of will pull out all the stops to gain maximum profit, including night time delivery tricks to hide little flaws so the customer takes it before he realizes that the goods have been damaged because he or she is just happy it came in?

This car is not likely indicative of the larger pool so far, but should never have gotten out of the factory!!!

This is Fords halo car, and as such was meant to sit in showrooms with pride of place. If the average buyer wandered in fresh from the competition, and saw this sort of crap, they would be gone FOREVER(yes it happens, an aquaintance was shopping(CTS-V) at a Caddy dealer, saw the orange peel in an XLR and left for the BMW group where he bought and paid for on the spot an M5!!)

Do something about it FORD!

The only problem I've found on my car (July build) is the pass. side exhaust tip is mis-aligned.. He can cry all he wants about the orange peel, I doubt anything will be done about it. There is some orange peel in my paint. But many have told me its a nice paint job, Which I think so too.

FWIW, Ford is not happy with AAI's paint system either.

I used the orange peel as an example. The door is awful and panel gaps and that sort of thing are entirely unacceptable for this car, IF those problems are not generally noticable on other Mustangs built at the same plant. Don't forget this car is looked at by at least one(striping) and as many as three(not to mention a quality dealer prep) other teams beyond the V-6 that went down the line in front of it. This is part of Fords cost for selling a 40+k Mustang.

And as I suggested long ago, Ford may find that the average buyer of this car, and particularly early one, who are enter/reentering the Mustang hobby may be somewhat less tolerant than someone who has already come to grips with the tradeoffs that come with building such high performance into a basic, non-bespoke platform.

Jolly,

Here are a few pics of the Shelby Convertible bad build flaws. These are what I would consider Major major flaws in Fords new Flagship "Halo" car they call it. On a quick walk around you may not see it. Look a little closer and they pop right out at you.

Check out the masking tape line down center of drivers quarter panel

How about the pass door fitment to quarter panel? See the upper body line is way off yet the lower part of curve fits fine?

There were engineering holds written all over this car yet Fords plant manager approved it for release. Thats the little blue dot you see on windshield.

Ford has a published figure on paint thickness and this car already exceeds that. I would not want to own it in a few years when the paint starts to blister/peel/discolor or whatever.

I am trying to get pics of front bumper cover but owner says he is having a hard time for pics to turn out with a digital camera. A person within ford says he is pretty sure the hood has already been replaced, the hood bolts have the paint all chipped off indicating this is such.

The car was literally welded together crooked indicated by trunk lid fitment and door to quarter fitment.

Owner says if he does not hear back from Ford in next couple days he will send all to every mag in country along with pics. He is also trying to find an attorney as Ford is saying nothing except for a sorry from Ford rep. A sorry? Do something about it FORD!

Thanks for the post TwinTurboBoss. This car looks like a piece of :censored:. I wonder if this particular vehicle wasn't shipped out accidently, when it was supposed to go in the parts bin. :doh: I can't believe Ford would have shipped this car in this condition, but they obviously did.. :fan:

Two things:

1. This guy is partly to blame for his situation. Who buys a $50K - $60K car and doesn't look it over carefully before he strokes the check? :kuko:

2. This guy posted on the other forum that he was cleaning the water spots off his GT500's undercarriage, and he didn't want to drive it in the rain after that so his dealer could take a look. My thinking here was this might be an unusually particular individual, and in my experience you have to take such people's complaints with a grain of salt. Obviously this isn't the case here. My apologies if I offended anyone.

Please let us know how this fantastic and unfortunate Ford failure turns out. :sos:

Thanks for the post TwinTurboBoss. This car looks like a piece of :censored:. I wonder if this particular vehicle wasn't shipped out accidently, when it was supposed to go in the parts bin. :doh: I can't believe Ford would have shipped this car in this condition, but they obviously did.. :fan:

Two things:

1. This guy is partly to blame for his situation. Who buys a $50K - $60K car and doesn't look it over carefully before he strokes the check? :kuko:

2. This guy posted on the other forum that he was cleaning the water spots off his GT500's undercarriage, and he didn't want to drive it in the rain after that so his dealer could take a look. My thinking here was this might be an unusually particular individual, and in my experience you have to take such people's complaints with a grain of salt. Obviously this isn't the case here. My apologies if I offended anyone.

Please let us know how this fantastic and unfortunate Ford failure turns out. :sos:

Jolly,

I will keep everyone posted as I find out more info. Have been waiting for more pics to post. He has heard nothing from Ford and his dealer does not return calls. Would be interesting to find out if any other converts have this problem. Who else has a Shelby Convert?

Reason he was so worried about this car is of the 3 Shelby's he was purchasing, this one was one he planned on keeping in wrapper for at least 10yrs and was planning on driving the other 2. Sounds like the order for 3rd car has been cancelled.

Obviously something happened to this car, with the hood having been replaced and all the dirt in the paint, tape lines etc. Are they sure nothing happened to it in transit? Having worked in the car business before I know things like that can happen and cars end up in a bodyshop after they left the manufacturer but before they get to the dealer. I imagine they've looked into that, but if the flaws are as bad as they sound, they should have neen caught by the factory's quality control people.

Obviously something happened to this car, with the hood having been replaced and all the dirt in the paint, tape lines etc. Are they sure nothing happened to it in transit? Having worked in the car business before I know things like that can happen and cars end up in a bodyshop after they left the manufacturer but before they get to the dealer. I imagine they've looked into that, but if the flaws are as bad as they sound, they should have neen caught by the factory's quality control people.

It was no doubt all done at factory. The Engineering Hold "Paint" on windshield is a dead giveaway plus the fact in time of when It left plant to when it arrived at rail yard. Also the fact the pass side door to quarter is so far off with no indication of a collision. A person at plant admitted to this car having problems from the get-go.

More pics just arrived need to download them and will post a few.

the side of my son's 03 sport trac had a flaw on the side of the bed under the clear coat that could be seen at certain angles. I do not think it is that unusual for body dings at the factory to be fixed and painted over. What is unusual is for this car to have so many, and for the fixes to be so poorly done. Dealer had no problem with offering to repaint the side of the truck, but, then someone hit him in the rear at 35 mph and the whole bed had to be replaced and painted, and that took care of that :doh: Overall, the ford body shop actually ended up giving us a better paint job than it had from the factory.

Just got off the phone with my dealer this afternoon about my week of 11/7 delivery. He said the regional rep mentioned there might be another delay or hold so it could be later in November I actually get the car. No other specifics were given. Could this be it?

Anyone got a new number where Ralph Arning can be reached? The old one I got on this forum a few weeks ago seems to have been changed or something.

Just got off the phone with my dealer this afternoon about my week of 11/7 delivery. He said the regional rep mentioned there might be another delay or hold so it could be later in November I actually get the car. No other specifics were given. Could this be it?

Anyone got a new number where Ralph Arning can be reached? The old one I got on this forum a few weeks ago seems to have been changed or something.

I told you if we called him to much something like this could happen :doh:

I told you if we called him to much something like this could happen :doh:

I figured that as well, that's why I only called once and talked to him. Very nice guy. He told me to call back when I got my VIN and he'd give me all the pertinent dates. Well, got my VIN, tried to call and nothing. :shrug:

I figured that as well, that's why I only called once and talked to him. Very nice guy. He told me to call back when I got my VIN and he'd give me all the pertinent dates. Well, got my VIN, tried to call and nothing. :shrug:

it kinda sucks that your delivery date is getting pushed back; makes it harder to get it home to a warmer climate. keeping my fingers crossed for you

John

Archived