TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Making Someone's Day!

2007_Shelby_GT

This weekend I did a quick road trip down to Tampa. (Naturally, I had cleaned and detailed the SGT before departing, so it was looking good!) Of course I had to make a pit-stop for fuel, and as I was finishing up, a fellow came over from another pump and asked, "Mind if I take a few pictures?" No problem, knock yourself out! He said his wife was a huge Mustang fanatic and was just dying to have one, especially if it was a Shelby! I asked where she was and he said she was in the store with the kids and he wished she would hurry up or else all she would see would be the pics! Well, I wasn't in a hurry, so I said I'd wait for her to come out. When she finally appeared, (only about 5 minutes had passed), he called her over. You should have heard her squeal with glee! She was just gushing with excitement, and when I told her to take a seat behind the wheel, she nearly fainted! Her husband got some pictures of her in the car, their kids drooled and gently stroked the paint, and everybody went away with huge grins on their faces. I don't think that I've ever had "Thank you" said to me so many times! It made their day, and certainly made mine!

Score another one for Shelby!

Sam

AKA:

Those are the best stories. I was at a car show and a Dad and toddler came up. Dad was a big fan of the Mustang and even bigger fan of Mr Shelby. He was in total awe when I opened it up and let him sit behind the wheel. He even took pictures of his toddler behind the wheel. He couldn't stop thanking me. I can't tell you how good it made me feel too.

This weekend I did a quick road trip down to Tampa. (Naturally, I had cleaned and detailed the SGT before departing, so it was looking good!) Of course I had to make a pit-stop for fuel, and as I was finishing up, a fellow came over from another pump and asked, "Mind if I take a few pictures?" No problem, knock yourself out! He said his wife was a huge Mustang fanatic and was just dying to have one, especially if it was a Shelby! I asked where she was and he said she was in the store with the kids and he wished she would hurry up or else all she would see would be the pics! Well, I wasn't in a hurry, so I said I'd wait for her to come out. When she finally appeared, (only about 5 minutes had passed), he called her over. You should have heard her squeal with glee! She was just gushing with excitement, and when I told her to take a seat behind the wheel, she nearly fainted! Her husband got some pictures of her in the car, their kids drooled and gently stroked the paint, and everybody went away with huge grins on their faces. I don't think that I've ever had "Thank you" said to me so many times! It made their day, and certainly made mine!

Score another one for Shelby!

Sam

AKA:

Thanks for sharing. Great story.

HSURB

I agree totally with you, small acts can make big pleasures to anyone. :dance:

Actually I lived a special day for myself on last Saturday. I went to a car show here in Luxembourg, an international motorshow, where they exposed a lot of nice cars. But the summum for me that day, was the moment when I saw the 68' Shelby GT500 convert. :drool: I could'nt believe what I saw there, such a great car registrated in Luxembourg. I had the occasion to meet the owner and we talked a lot. I took a few pics from the car, an it was for me a really special moment. So I can understand when somebody comes to you or your Shelby and wants to take pictures and asks you questions.

Thank you Carroll Shelby for these special moments.

Here is the link for the website of the 68' GT500:http://auto.rtl.lu/automotosport/fotoen/1962/photo/59?back=

Greetings

:shift:

Great story. I have done the same thing on several occasions. I never hurts to be nice to you fellow man (or woman). Especially if they are fellow Mustang and/or Shelby fans. Here is my most recent run in. We met two different families with young teen age boys at the Factory Tour this month. One was from Germany and the other was from NJ.

I drove my black SGT to Vegas to take pictures of it at the factory :camera:. I was lucky enough to get the parking stall that looks right in the front door. :dance: :happy feet: The day we went, I was the only Shelby product in the parking lot so I drew a lot of attention after the tour. When we were signing the shop wall, the boy from NJ overheard me say something about my car to my wife. He asked if I actually owned one. I said not only do I own one, it was parked right outside the front door. His feet looked like the Roadrunner cartoon as he left the shop. His folks apolgized for him and spent their time in the gift shop before coming out. What did they expect, it is a Shelby after all? :shrug:

Once most people left, I opened my hood and doors so they could take all of the pictures they wanted. Much to my wife's surprise, I handed my keys to each son and let them fire it up. To really appreciate a SGT, you need to hear that special sound. The German boy's grin looked painful it was so big when he turned the key. Score a big one for international relations. To me it was a small gesture but I'll bet they are still talking about that guy from Utah they met in Vegas. :superhero:

Yea, that was probably one of the best moments in all 15K+ smiles of owning/driving this machine!

But of course, as we all know, there's always been at least one "moment" everytime we back these beauties out of the garage :D

I'll bet that everyone of us has had constant streams of stealth "lookers" lurking in following cars, on sidewalks, in parking lots, etc. You know "those" moments: The silent, quick looks that you catch out of the corner of your eye or in the rearview mirror. It's like some scene in a movie that is running at normal speed, then suddenly time slows to a crawl. You see them - they have that classic glazed look, slight jaw-dropped/open-mouthed smile, silently speaking the word "Shelby", and occasionally pointing as they watch you slip past. Old-timers nudge their buddies, sons, daughters, or wives, probably telling a story that begins "I remember back in 66'..." Younger crowd doing the same, except the line may run "That is one sick ride!"

I didn't buy this car for the attention, but I can honestly say I certainly don't mind it a bit!

Sam

AKA:

STEALTH LOOKERS........nicely put. I like it. They are everywhere. I just didn't know what to call them. I didn't expect all of the attention when I bought my SGT but it is fun. Now that winter is hereand my car is under wraps, I'm going to miss it until next season. :(

This is about 2 shows. One was just after I got the SGT and 2 Boys about 10 or 11 were walking around the car. They stoped at the rear and got down on there knees and were bowing. I asked there mother what us up and she said they loved anything that had to do with Carroll Shelby.

Other was 2boys about 7 that their mother was going to take their pic in front of the car. I opened the drivers door and told her they could take turns getting the pic taken in the car. Their faces lit up.post-11234-1227740935_thumb.jpg

Even my Grandson likes it. Take a Kid to a car show!

post-11234-1227740935_thumb.jpg

I too have had many people just drooling over the SGT. People just love the appearance of this car bar none. I personally think it is the most beautiful looking Shelby ever built.

PS: Needs more NA HP!

:hysterical::hysterical: Made my day Swede

Jim

That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

I've had several glazed over stares at my car

and a couple of MUCH older women asking me

for the keys......I had to tell them that I lost

them.

I to have had a couple of women ask for a ride. I tell them that they have to ask the wife. My seat has the steering wheel and that is where the key goes. Nobody gets that seat but me! If they want a ride in the other seat they have to ask the wife

That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

I've had several glazed over stares at my car

and a couple of MUCH older women asking me

for the keys......I had to tell them that I lost

them.

They would get a flat out NO! Sorry buy no one other then my service tech drives my baby but me.

I've had my white SGT since april of 07 and almost everytime I drive the car someone has something to say. Southern CA is filled with girls named Shelby and they frequently express that even if my wife is in the car. Gas stops along PCH get lots of walkups. Many times I've let people sit in and take pictures of #182. I bought the car to socialize and fulfill a childhood dream to own a Shelby. As the caretaker of this piece of history, I feel obligated to share what is temporarily in my possesion.

After more than a year of this, my wife says I'm possesed when behind the wheel but understands and is supportive of this habit/ hobby. The car and the people assosiated with Shelbys are all connected and I'm sure you get it.

As always, I want another and what ever man can conceive and believe, he can achieve. See you in Vegas.

Mike

Newport,CA.

Mike,

I've been accused of being possessed too. My wife says my whole atttitude changes as soon as I slide behind the wheel and turn the key. Whenever I accerate too hard (whatever that is) :shift:, my wife looks over to see that :censored: eating grin on my face and makes some comment :rant2: . I think she is hoping just once the grin won't be there. Wrong!!

As you say we are caretakers of a piece of American and automotive history. I waited 40 years for my dream to come true. I love to share my passion for Shelbys with everybody.

That was a great story! It is amazing how much attention these cars draw. I took my second trip to Lake Arrowhead, Ca this weekend with my wife. What a blast it was driving along the mountain roads! Without pushing the car too much, I got a good feel for the potential that the SGT has. After reaching the crowded village and driving around a while, I finally found a good parking spot. An hour or so later, we returned to the car. As we approached, my wife and I noticed two teenage kids hanging around the car. I knew that they were admiring it, but my wife thought different. She thought I was going to have a fit. When we arrived at the car, mom, dad and the whole family were in awe over the car. As we chatted a bit dad was just shaking his head and an embarrassed mother admitted taking pictures of the car. They all went on their way with smiles on there face. This scene replays itself time & time again everywhere I go. America loves the Shelby and so do I!

Nick

Archived