TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mechanic's Opinion of our Transmission

Bloomy63

I came back from vacation yesterday and was getting caught up on all the threads I missed while I was gone and see a number of them are about the clutch/transmission TSB and associated problems.

A month or 2 after my repair, I ran in to the tech that did my repair. After thanking him for the successful repair, knowing this was his first GT 500 transmission, I asked him his opinion of it.

He said I'll never have to worry about breaking a gear, but the syncronizer system used is designed to be smooth operating, not meant to be beat on, and definatly won't take power shifting.

Shortly after he completed my repair he got another GT 500 in and it would not go into any gear. Upon opening it up it was apparent that it was power shifted and he was pretty sure that's what caused the damage to the syrcros. They were basically destroyed. Not to mention, the markings were still on the car from it being at the strip, he couldn't believe they didn't clean them off before bringing it in.

This is the opinion from an experienced mechanic, not an engineer, but I just wanted to pass this info along for what it's worth.

Are the new syncronizers with the TSB different then the original?

What syncros are in the Vette? Viper? and are their failures similar? (it appears that the failures with the vetts are similar so what do they do to fix them?)

I wonder if this is some of the cause of the problems we are having with this transmission.

One would expect a car of this caliber to withstand spirited driving. I've never raced mine, but have driven it like it was meant to be driven. And it still fell apart. They put brand new syncros in mine for the TSB and I baby drove it 4 blocks and it quit...they opened it and the input shaft and syncros were toast....brand new and toast. There is definitely a problem there.

However, in the beginning of the early 07's, all of us that had the early ones enjoyed the fact that the GT500 was sort of a blank canvas in which to build the GT500 we each wanted. In doing so we all found small short comings for want we wanted....well yes, no one can build a perfect car for track, driving, drag racing and drifting. But I have say, full out and out drag racing was never even a remote thought in the designers process. As was full on road racing with a stock GT500.

This tranny and system should have had R&D and head room that the engine has in it. Why put an engine that is easily capable of making a reliable 750HP with a drivetrain that will not stand up to 500hp? Unbelievable over-site.

As I've stated before, Ford should have got in front of this from day one and made it right, instead they are looking to the new buyers and the warranty to run out on the ones that have the problem. Well mine will be fixed and hopefully give me many years of driving pleasure, but for those that didn't have it done and now are looking at possibly $5-10 thousand dollars for the fix...all I can see is a very ugly class action law suit in Ford's future, and even if they lose and fix every last one of them, the damage will have been done and a possibly great car with a great name and heritage will have been tarnished by some accountant in some office that has no idea the passion most of us have for this automobile, Carrol Shelby and Ford. That's too bad.

I'm a pretty easy guy to please, but I am looking forward to a class action suit if Ford doesh't get this problem fixed. The Clutch, trannie, flywheel or whatever it is causing the drive train problem on these cars is complete junk. And thats on the good ones.

Feel free to flame away. My next performance car will be a foreign brand.

Bet I'll make a bunch of friends with this post!

I haven't even driven my new GT500 (an 08) and already I'm having second thoughts and concerns!

I knew about the TSB on the tranny/clutch but didn't realize it was such a wide spread problem. I even had the dealer write the TSB number on my bill of sale and write that I had full warranty coverage for 3 years on it.

I'm hoping that I get to enjoy this car and that my purchase doesn't turn into massive regret.

The bad part is Ford didn't make any of the parts that we're having problems with. But they are taking all the heat for a problem that they had nothing to do with. As far as foreign cars go. I waited twice at the track last Thursday night for about two hours total. Because three foreign cars broke and dropped parts and oil all over the track. That's not odd, almost every time i go at least one or two screw up the track with oil and parts. The funny part is i was faster then 99% of them and i drove my car home. I just wish they could keep them together so i can get more runs in. If you buy one PLEASE don't come out to my track. Because that crap is getting old. :rolleyes:

I want to add something here.

My tech told me when I did the TSB that my synchros were perfect and all the other GT500s that came in were power shifted and they had damaged synchros. I knew he was right since I do not power shift.

As for the whole "Power Shifting" thing, ever notice you ask two different people what it is and you get two different answers.

I have seen lots of people attmept to do it or "think" they are doing it but have only seen one person do it correctly. As in shift the transmission under power with no clutch pedal at all. Every car is different at which point you can shift into gear safely without damaging synchros. In order to learm what it is you will have to do some damage to your tranny unless you are That Good.

I dont want to learn where it is on my GT500. I know where it is on a 91 Ford Fiesta but I got that car for 120 dollars so I could learn stick when I was 16 years old.

I also believe that its only good for shaving tenths of a second off your time(if you know how to do it correctly) but to do it just to do it is pointless.

I came back from vacation yesterday and was getting caught up on all the threads I missed while I was gone and see a number of them are about the clutch/transmission TSB and associated problems.

A month or 2 after my repair, I ran in to the tech that did my repair. After thanking him for the successful repair, knowing this was his first GT 500 transmission, I asked him his opinion of it.

He said I'll never have to worry about breaking a gear, but the syncronizer system used is designed to be smooth operating, not meant to be beat on, and definatly won't take power shifting.

Shortly after he completed my repair he got another GT 500 in and it would not go into any gear. Upon opening it up it was apparent that it was power shifted and he was pretty sure that's what caused the damage to the syrcros. They were basically destroyed. Not to mention, the markings were still on the car from it being at the strip, he couldn't believe they didn't clean them off before bringing it in.

This is the opinion from an experienced mechanic, not an engineer, but I just wanted to pass this info along for what it's worth.

Are the new syncronizers with the TSB different then the original?

What syncros are in the Vette? Viper? and are their failures similar? (it appears that the failures with the vetts are similar so what do they do to fix them?)

I wonder if this is some of the cause of the problems we are having with this transmission.

No, they are the same.

Power shifting to me is, you use the clutch but never let off the gas. I shift mine all the time with no clutch. Buy i have years of experience driving trucks. Most of our trucks you cant shift with the clutch. Its easier to drive with out it.

Naw!

M3/M6 maybe.

Don't get me wrong. I love my car. I just think the trans/clutch thing sucks and it should be a recall and fixed. Mine is deemed problem free and characteristic of a normal functioning car. It is junk compared to any other car I have owned and I've owned plenty.

If it goes I hope it does before June 09 when my 3 years are up. :)

Power shifting to me is, you use the clutch but never let off the gas. I shift mine all the time with no clutch. Buy i have years of experience driving trucks. Most of our trucks you cant shift with the clutch. Its easier to drive with out it.

The only person I have ever seen do it correctly in more than one car was a friend that drove commercial for 15+ years. That is how it was explained to me and how its done by him.

I have seen too many "wanne-bees" ruin their transmissions "thinking" they knew how to do it. :banghead:

I do need to add one more post... :baby:SORRY I think one of the main problems is. Fords hydraulic clutch system. Because its not adjustable and this is the first time Ford used it on a double disc clutch. Clearances need to be almost perfect, if not then the clutch will not release. Ive had many problems with Fords hydraulic clutch not release. If we were able to adjust this clutch. I bet this problem would not exist. Just not enough throw on the clutch peddle and no adjustment. So if the flywheel warps a little then you have no way to adjust for it. But i'm just an old wore out mechanic any who.... I do know if i had to flip the bill, i would find a way to make this clutch adjustable. The only way you would know if it would work, is to try it. We have had many issues with our F650's doing the same thing. I made all of them adjustable and they have been running 100k per year with out any more problems. I don't believe this trans has any problems other then finding a good tech that knows how to work on them. Most dealer have to many indians and not enough chiefs. :D

The only person I have ever seen do it correctly in more than one car was a friend that drove commercial for 15+ years. That is how it was explained to me and how its done by him.

I have seen too many "wanne-bees" ruin their transmissions "thinking" they knew how to do it. :banghead:

I have read it described as just bumping the clutch but not depressing the clutch pedal. I wonder if that type of shifting is even possible with a hydraulic clutch.

The new 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo has powershifting built in to stay in "boost" during shifts.

Humm. I wonder if the GT500's fly-by-wire throttle might be part of the synchronizer wear problem, as it seems to elevate the RPMs during a shift instead of letting the engine spool down to a lower speed for the next higher gear. The elevated RPMs would make the synchronizers have to work extra hard, as they would during a power shift, to synch the next gear ratio on an upshift.

I'm a pretty easy guy to please, but I am looking forward to a class action suit if Ford doesh't get this problem fixed. The Clutch, trannie, flywheel or whatever it is causing the drive train problem on these cars is complete junk. And thats on the good ones.

Feel free to flame away. My next performance car will be a foreign brand.

Bet I'll make a bunch of friends with this post!

FormerGmc, keep in mind that I'm no "Bashing" you here but really <_< a friggin foreign brand car?????? I mean come on, there is really nothing that can compare with a GT 500, a supercharged Viper, or a modded Z06 or the ZR1's. Hey good luck to ya in "that" endeavor :poke: , just hope that I don't run into you out there, I make it a point to smash overrated foreign cars :spiteful: . I truly do love American muscle and sports cars, and respect other stuff, but they really don't cut the mustard IMHO. H.

As I said, I love my car but you are kidding yourself if you think M3's, M6's and a host of others don't cut the mustard. My neighbor has a 650 4 door Mercedes tank that blows the doors off of my car. I know cuz he's done it 3 times.

Ford needs to fix this trans problem. That is my only complaint.:)

As I said, I love my car but you are kidding yourself if you think M3's, M6's and a host of others don't cut the mustard. My neighbor has a 650 4 door Mercedes tank that blows the doors off of my car. I know cuz he's done it 3 times.

Ford needs to fix this trans problem. That is my only complaint.:)

Sold my 08 GT500 3 months ago for $41000 and don't miss the 4000lb sled. When Ford comes out with a alum 5.0 with 375hp and weights in @ 3400lbs i will buy it. Glad not to have to mess with the clutch problem or any other. Sorry but Ford needs to put the future Shelby's in weight watchers . There are ALOT of fast handling cars on the market . I hope Ford brings out the GT350 with these specs .

Sorry to break the news, but this car isn't heavy for what it is. If you looking for a stripped down light weigh then have at it. You just need to remove a few things. ABS system, PS, PB, AIR, PS, PW, TILT and Cruse, Leather Seats, Insulation, Interior Lights, Extra Scoops. Spoilers, Ect. I'm sure you could find more if you really wanted to. Aluminum Block is about the only part were they could of dropped some weight. Other then that, Its a fully loaded four seat hot rod. If you don't like the loaded part. Then get to work. The older terms were a little lighter, but a smaller car. I have a very hard time getting into one. Plus this car looks better. If you get out run by a foreign car, let me know if you want me to teach you how to drive. Because all of them ive raced so far ive beat. Last Thursday it was a Viper. Its nice to go out run cars that weigh less and cost more then my old mustang..... :lurk:

Sold my 08 GT500 3 months ago for $41000 and don't miss the 4000lb sled. When Ford comes out with a alum 5.0 with 375hp and weights in @ 3400lbs i will buy it. Glad not to have to mess with the clutch problem or any other. Sorry but Ford needs to put the future Shelby's in weight watchers . There are ALOT of fast handling cars on the market . I hope Ford brings out the GT350 with these specs .

Good luck with that.............most of todays econoboxes weigh 3400 lb plus...........Mistubishi is 3600+, with the exception of the zo6 with that expensive/crash me once and write me off frame, everything is heavy. Expected with what everyone wants.........quiet car, nice stereo, loaded this, loaded that all equals weight. Challenger is 4200 but you knew that right?? Terminator was 3665 but you knew that too right?? GT500 coupe 3850

The bad part is Ford didn't make any of the parts that we're having problems with. But they are taking all the heat for a problem that they had nothing to do with. As far as foreign cars go. I waited twice at the track last Thursday night for about two hours total. Because three foreign cars broke and dropped parts and oil all over the track. That's not odd, almost every time i go at least one or two screw up the track with oil and parts. The funny part is i was faster then 99% of them and i drove my car home. I just wish they could keep them together so i can get more runs in. If you buy one PLEASE don't come out to my track. Because that crap is getting old. :rolleyes:

You are completely correct, but Ford put their name on it, and as a huge Ford fan as I am, this is something they should have seen in R&D. It more a rush to get it out the door than build the car right in the beginning.

The reason why I'm writing now is because I have wonderful automobile that is sitting in the shop and can't be driven, or else I would have been on a beautiful top down sunset cruise... :banghead:

Archived