TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tranny Recall

sharabi

Tranny Recall  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you 07/08/09 GT500 owners (2009 GT500 that was manufactured before Aug. 15th 2008) would like to see the tranny issue mounts to a recall by Ford

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It should be a recall

They should fix everyone, without need to observe conditions. I don't care what they call it, but if the car hasn't got the new stuff, every customer that simply wants the new stuff, should get the new stuff. No questions asked.

I don't care about the semantics about "recalls are safety", etc... Who cares.....fix the damn cars. We all purchased Fords most expensive high performance cars (exception of GT), and this is complete BS the way that they are handling it.

Unless Ford thinks some of our older flywheels are better than others. The only reason some will last longer is driving style and maybe some other random factors like how long they sit, humidity, etc... That means that all of the original stuff sucks and should be replaced.

They should fix everyone, without need to observe conditions. I don't care what they call it, but if the car hasn't got the new stuff, every customer that simply wants the new stuff, should get the new stuff. No questions asked.

I don't care about the semantics about "recalls are safety", etc... Who cares.....fix the damn cars. We all purchased Fords most expensive high performance cars (exception of GT), and this is complete BS the way that they are handling it.

Unless Ford thinks some of our older flywheels are better than others. The only reason some will last longer is driving style and maybe some other random factors like how long they sit, humidity, etc... That means that all of the original stuff sucks and should be replaced.

+1

I feel i have a problem but on hold and i do not want it to unfold when my warranty ...or for that matter the extended warranty is up and then am on my own for 6k$ plus labor.

Sorry folks, but even though we believe/think that it should be a recall, FoMoCo will never call for one unless there is a direct, real, and viable safety issue related to the defect/failure. Recalls are only called for safety defects and are usually developed in conjunction with the Department of Transportation.

I'm quite certain that in the end, your poll will reveal that somewhere around 99% of those who partisipate in this poll will vote yes; because what GT500 owner wouldn't yes?

But with all due respect, at the end of the day all you will have is a statistical poll in favor of a recall and nothing else.

The best thing to do is just take your car in and get the TSB done on it; end of story. It's not that difficult to convince your dealer to do the TSB. Just take the car in and tell them you are having issues with shifting and/or the clutch.

Sorry folks, but even though we believe/think that it should be a recall, FoMoCo will never call for one unless there is a direct, real, and viable safety issue related to the defect/failure. Recalls are only called for safety defects and are usually developed in conjunction with the Department of Transportation.

I'm quite certain that in the end, your poll will reveal that somewhere around 99% of those who partisipate in this poll will vote yes; because what GT500 owner wouldn't yes?

But with all due respect, at the end of the day all you will have is a statistical poll in favor of a recall and nothing else.

The best thing to do is just take your car in and get the TSB done on it; end of story. It's not that difficult to convince your dealer to do the TSB. Just take the car in and tell them you are having issues with shifting and/or the clutch.

It is statistical poll.........i know that. but my car doesn't exhibit the symptoms so why to take it in now.

However the concern is real and if significant number of owners voting yes on a recall you can obtain a letter with our signatures on it and take it to Washington DC and let them here our voice ....it is up to them to call it recall or not but i will follow all the avenues to make sure that am not going to be left stranded without any help....pushing shoving can work within the system if somebody is not willing to listen.

I think owners are missing the obvious; this is a defect that is common, well known by ford, and very expensive to repair. And it is no certain thing to be fixed correctly by ford dealers prior to the expiration of the warranty period. I think that we will eventually see a large class action lawsuit, probably involving many state attorney generals before it is all over. It is only a matter of time before the lid blows off of this one....too bad for ford, they have certainly had plenty of time and opportunity to deal with this correctly. A lawsuit would certainly reveal how many cases of this are really out there, and there are thousands. Ford's refusal to just fix all of these cars borders on fraud under these circumstances, and I do not throw around words like these lightly. Anyone who defends ford's approach to this issue is truly defending the indefensible.

I agree, the dealers and Ford have the opportunity to make things right. This is not a 15,000 dollar car that is almost out of warranty. Most people who have these cars know cars, are loyal customers, love Fords, and have a lot of car buying decisions ahead of them. Doing the right thing may hurt short term Ford, but long term would go a long way in restoring customer satisfcation. What is worse is not only is there no recall, but it is such a fight to get it done. I have to prove the issue and I am prepared to conference in the designer of the flywheel in my meeting with the dealership. What if I did not meet Bill in Dearborn, what if this Forum did not arm us with all of this information, we would be at the mercy of the dealers. I think they are being very short sighted and making bad decisions, not to mention it is dangerous. Ironically there was a movie made awhile back called "Class Action". It discussed how decisions are made by bean counters, that customers safety and doing what is right is an after thought. Ironically if you have DirecTV and do a keyword search for shelby (in the description not the title) the movie Class Action is found. No idea why, I search for Shelby every other week and it just started coming up.

I think owners are missing the obvious; this is a defect that is common, well known by ford, and very expensive to repair. And it is no certain thing to be fixed correctly by ford dealers prior to the expiration of the warranty period. I think that we will eventually see a large class action lawsuit, probably involving many state attorney generals before it is all over. It is only a matter of time before the lid blows off of this one....too bad for ford, they have certainly had plenty of time and opportunity to deal with this correctly. A lawsuit would certainly reveal how many cases of this are really out there, and there are thousands. Ford's refusal to just fix all of these cars borders on fraud under these circumstances, and I do not throw around words like these lightly. Anyone who defends ford's approach to this issue is truly defending the indefensible.

Am afraid that me and many others that do not have the symptoms, do not drive the car hard enough, or too often will be left without cover once the problem surfaces since it is a matter of time only.

Ironically there was a movie made awhile back called "Class Action". It discussed how decisions are made by bean counters, that customers safety and doing what is right is an after thought. Ironically if you have DirecTV and do a keyword search for shelby (in the description not the title) the movie Class Action is found. No idea why, I search for Shelby every other week and it just started coming up.

:hysterical:

i think we deserve to have the tranny's replaced under the warranty. i bought the car cause i like it , i like Mr Shelby and am loyal to Ford so i did my part they should do their part too.

early build 8-15-06, 17,000 spirited miles and still no issues....but extremely nervous. drove an 09 and the clutch pressure was much easier than mine. it felt like abut 15 pounds of pressure and mine feels like 35. but mine still shifts smooth and strong.

they should do the recall but most likely wont.

Not so easy. I've taken my to the dealer 3 times and they will not change it. In their opinion nothing is wrong! :headscratch:

that is where collective collaboration for us on this great forum is so important....i am not saying legal action ...Heck no ....all am trying to get is a listening ear from a decent person at Ford that might of have a say in that company hopefully we get remedy.....and hell no.... TSB is not remedy after all what am reading....

Ford owe us that much....

I'll put this out one more time. If ANYONE is having trouble getting their TSB done I have a name and number that goes directly to the Executive Staff at Ford HQ. PM me for the info. I won't post it here out of respect for the individual in the Exec offices who will take your call. She will hook you up with a dealer of your choice, and they WILL DO THE FULL TSB, for sure! I don't get on this site much anymore, so just send a request to shelbygt500@java-cafe.com if you want the contact info.

The TSB will need to be done to each and every '07,'08, & early build(read before October '08) '09, eventually because it is a fundamental design flaw in the fly-wheel, which when it fails affects the clutch, Input shaft, tranny compnents.....and on and on... The way folk's cars manifest the problem, and when they see the problems is directly correlated to how you drive the car, and under what conditions. For example, a lot of fast starts, and bumper to bumper traffic in the warmer parts of the country will see the failure scenario sooner. Obviously the people who don't drive their cars won't see it until later.

And if you should get a petition put together, I can get that looked at too, quite directly.

Although I agree the tranny issues have been a royal PITA (I should know), it doesn't warrant a recall. It's not a safety issue. Recalls are extremely expensive, and that's the last thing Ford needs right now. Many people may not ever see any issue with their tranny. Why force a replacement if someone is not experiencing issues?

Should they do the work if you have symptoms? Yes. Is it a recall issue? No.

Although I agree the tranny issues have been a royal PITA (I should know), it doesn't warrant a recall. It's not a safety issue. Recalls are extremely expensive, and that's the last thing Ford needs right now. Many people may not ever see any issue with their tranny. Why force a replacement if someone is not experiencing issues?

Should they do the work if you have symptoms? Yes. Is it a recall issue? No.

I have read of cases where the tranny fails unexpectedly, at which point the driver is left unable to shift gears. This could indirectly be a safety issue if it occurs while on the road and the driver loses focus on driving while attempting to monkey around with the gear shifter and clutch in their $45K+ "pride-&-joy"; quite a distraction IMO.

I have read of cases where the tranny fails unexpectedly, at which point the driver is left unable to shift gears. This could indirectly be a safety issue if it occurs while on the road and the driver loses focus on driving while attempting to monkey around with the gear shifter and clutch in their $45K+ "pride-&-joy"; quite a distraction IMO.

You have a point there, but recalls are typically reserved for direct safety issues, e.g. cars exploding, wheels falling off, etc.

Ford knows there is a problem and they should just tell there dealers that if you bring in for the TSB than no questions asked. I have a early model and I know I need to have this done but I don't have the symptoms yet.

I know if I take it in they won't touch it. This is wrong because they know there is a problem.

I am not so sure that ford should suggest a trany rebuild. Just replace the whole thing they could still use it as a re manufactured part and still sell it.

They also need to stamp the vin on the side for us just like the original.

Thanks for the info 08redgt500 I jotted down your address for later

Art

You have a point there, but recalls are typically reserved for direct safety issues, e.g. cars exploding, wheels falling off, etc.

Not always true. Ford did a recall for the cam position sensor on all 7.3L psd trucks. My 01 F350 was one of them. The sensor would crap out and the engine would die with no warning in the middle of traffic. My truck shutting off in traffic is no different than being stuck in neutral in the middle of an intersection with my GT 500.

One funny thing on the CPS recall. Ford cut the retail price of the sensor by 75% just before the recall. The also cut back the labor amount allowed so they could shaft the dealers.

On the GT500, I'm surprised an enterprising attorney hasn't already filed a class action suit.

Archived