TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tranny recall

sharabi

tranny recall  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you 07/08 GT500 owners would like to see the tranny issue mounts to a recall by Ford

• Yes
    • No

Please participate in this poll since it will give an idea about the consensus among the owners of GT500 about the tranny issue that has been surfacing with an exponential rate.

Some may say it is not a driving risk to have a recall on the issue...but to others if you cannot engage the gear when you should it is enough distraction to pose a significant danger while driving...any thoughts?

What about the early 2009 builds that have the old nodular steel flywheel that warps and the old iron center spline on the clutch that rusts ?

I mention this because these 2 parts *can* and WILL cause damage to the Transmission once the problem surfaces.

I have not seen 1 report of this causing a death or accident.

IMHO it's just some bad engineered parts that seem to lock up when parked or they stick in a certain gear while driving....again no life threatning issue unless the tranny locks up while driving it, then it would be a full blown recall by Ford & (NHTSA) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

TSB's are cheaper & it fixes the problem with those specific parts that are bad & causing the problem...no need to replace the whole transmission

What about the early 2009 builds that have the old nodular steel flywheel that warps and the old iron center spline on the clutch that rusts ?

I mention this because these 2 parts *can* and WILL cause damage to the Transmission once the problem surfaces.

Would you please add it to the question....i cannot see how to edit it.

IMHO it's just some bad engineered parts that seem to lock up when parked or they stick in a certain gear while driving....again no life threatning issue unless the tranny locks up while driving it, then it would be a full blown recall by Ford & (NHTSA) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

TSB's are cheaper & it fixes the problem with those specific parts that are bad & causing the problem...no need to replace the whole transmission

Coldy the TSB is not doing the job...it is adding to the fear that you go in with one problem and come out with 3. If you track the threads, and am sure you do, you will just find that. those are high performance and not a daily drivers, so it is good that no one lost life over counting to three before getting the gear engaged. Do we need to have one death (god forbid) to have a recall....they screwed up with the tranny/flywheel and they are screwing up with TSB. and i am concerned that i may end up paying for a new tranny 4 years down the road when ford should pay for now.

Once the poll is set up...the questions are locked. If you want me to delete the thread so you can start a new one...I will. Let me know.

please do grabber...your point is valid and you can take the lead and post it your self if that is ok with you with the format that will help us with this serious problem.

TSB's are cheaper, only because many of the faulty cars get past the warranty and then Ford doesn't care (not that the TSB was born of care, but rather necessity. Or way to many lemon law GT500's would have come back.)

But TSB's only get done if the problems surface in the warranty period. Since everybody agrees that every GT500 will eventually have a problem, then why not fix them all? Mine has very subtle drag I can hear once in a while, when I park in my garage. Ford dealer said "nothing wrong".

So my car has a reduced value if it gets beyond the warranty, and I sell it. When buyer asks, and I haven't had it done, so I take a price hit.

I release my clutch very quickly, so virtually no slipping. With my driving, the problem may never surface, but what about the next owner?

Ford should simply inform all owners of these cars that an issue has been discovered, and at the option of the owner, the parts can be replaced at their convience, or offer an extended warranty of like 5 years / 100K on the faulty components.

I have a Lexus, that when they discovered a wear location on the radiator, they extended the warranty. They sent me a letter, which I put in the glovebox. Then when it was out of warranty, I saw the reduced coolant in the bottle, looked and saw the leak. Took it in, and they fixed it, washed it, and vacuumed it all out. Even Armor All'd the tires. At 65K miles I felt like I was taking a new car delivery, simply picking it up from radiator replacement, well after warranty.

The repair is only as good as the repair person is, if they are not a very detailed technician they could be causing these additional problems by not taking the extra time to pay attention to detail when re-assembling these transmissions.

I am not worried, I won't live in fear, and as I have read here many times over the years, the actual truth of the whole story is often condensed or exaggerated based on ones own perspective and/or experience.

TSB's are cheaper, only because many of the faulty cars get past the warranty and then Ford doesn't care (not that the TSB was born of care, but rather necessity. Or way to many lemon law GT500's would have come back.)

But TSB's only get done if the problems surface in the warranty period. Since everybody agrees that every GT500 will eventually have a problem, then why not fix them all? Mine has very subtle drag I can hear once in a while, when I park in my garage. Ford dealer said "nothing wrong".

So my car has a reduced value if it gets beyond the warranty, and I sell it. When buyer asks, and I haven't had it done, so I take a price hit.

I release my clutch very quickly, so virtually no slipping. With my driving, the problem may never surface, but what about the next owner?

Ford should simply inform all owners of these cars that an issue has been discovered, and at the option of the owner, the parts can be replaced at their convience, or offer an extended warranty of like 5 years / 100K on the faulty components.

I have a Lexus, that when they discovered a wear location on the radiator, they extended the warranty. They sent me a letter, which I put in the glovebox. Then when it was out of warranty, I saw the reduced coolant in the bottle, looked and saw the leak. Took it in, and they fixed it, washed it, and vacuumed it all out. Even Armor All'd the tires. At 65K miles I felt like I was taking a new car delivery, simply picking it up from radiator replacement, well after warranty.

if you drive the car at all, I think a 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty is plenty of time to see if their is a problem with any mass produced car. If your one who can afford to let it sit & rot over 5 years & choose to not renew/purchase an extended warrantee packge then that's your fault. No car or part last forever no matter how well engineered it is.

TSB's are also cheaper when the dealer says there's no problem and they don't have to fix them.

See my thread about the clueless service manager. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36593 It really shows the difference between Lexus' idea of customer serivce and what Ford considers customer service.

The repair is only as good as the repair person is, if they are not a very detailed technician they could be causing these additional problems by not taking the extra time to pay attention to detail when re-assembling these transmissions.

I am not worried, I won't live in fear, and as I have read here many times over the years, the actual truth of the whole story is often condensed or exaggerated based on ones own perspective and/or experience.

But there is a trend here...we are not talking about isolated incidents in a local geographic area...rather it is across the board with many owners, all have one thing in common, they go in with one problem and come out with more.

except it seems there are no dealers that can get it right!!! I sure am reluctant to take my shelby in to have the fix done knowing I maybe in for several more visits or weeks of headache. Come on, they should have been able to do it right the first time!!

Ford should own up to the problem and do a recall by replacing Trannies instead of doing "fixes", these will ccost them more in the long run. But hey, they treat customers like crap and then they want customer to bail them out! They can go out of business for all I care!

They haven't learned a thing from folks like BMW, Lexus and others......I own these brands and it is NEVER an issue! My daughter's 328XI developed an intermitent vibration at 16, 000 miles, took it to the dealer, 15 minutes latter we "walked" out of there on a 328 loaner, an hour latter they called and told me that a new tranny was on it's way to do the repair. Work done in 72 hours flawlessly. And when we picked up her car it was washed and waxed and carpets shampooed and a box of chocolate on the drivers seat with a nice "we are sorry note". Guess what my daughter will continue to buy?

If BMW or Lexus made an American Muscle car, that's what I woudl buy!

Archived