TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"These are selling on e-bay for...."

iceman

I'm sure we've all been a victim of the e-bay pricing justification at dealers. At one point I think it was ORF that took the time to track all of the data and make nice and neat for us. I've considered doing it too but have just reviewed closely and have noticed that there are a number of cars for sale that I would love to have but none at a price I am willing to pay....Anything close to MSRP has a reserve not met note along side the price.

So I started to look at bid history for these and have found any number of things to use as cause for concern as many have posted the same people bidding all over (ah la mallofgeorgia) but that could be an investor wanting to re-sell at a bigger price...OK fine.

What about the same fools on nearly every one that out bid themselves 4 times in a row to jack up the price and show a bid history? I'm sure this is to draw in the weak minded who want it becuase others do too.

In anycase what ever the issues I am still hearing the on e-bay line from dealers when I am there in person. So if e-bay drives market price. What if I, you, we started also offering cars for sale on e-bay at MSRP and sayng they sold? Does this then drive price down becayse on e-bay sales are showing done at MSRP? I can't prove it but am 99% sure there is at least some funny business going on with the pricing there....What if the public got together and played the game on e-bay also?

I know it costs to post etc. and likely we couldn't get together to do it but just a thought - what if we made it look like a bunch of MSRP sales went down....does that drive cost as it does for helping to justify the high mark ups? I'm happy to see what looks like little activity on there right now for the silly prices (15-20K over buy it now) for the right to build one and then sometimes more for one already built.

Don't take this as being upset with those that paid more to get it. I may end up doing the same. I just want the justification to be I want it that bad and not e-bay said so.

So since this forum is free let's all make a 25 buck initiation fee and use the $ to post MSRP and blow ads on e-bay of other members cars and then "have the right to close early because the car is for sale locally" which always seems to happen when some one not in on the joke wants to buy or pay more than MSRP.

Rant off.

What about the same fools on nearly every one that out bid themselves 4 times in a row to jack up the price and show a bid history? I'm sure this is to draw in the weak minded who want it becuase others do too.

Just to clarify, what you are seeing isn't one person out bidding themselves. If the bid is at $50K and Person A decide to bid $55K, Person A's bid could show as $50,100. I think the increments are $100. Now Person B comes along and decides they would go as high as $52K. The auction would show Person A as wining bidder at $52,100. Person C decides to bid $53K, the auction would show Person A as high bidder at $53,100. It would continue like this until someone out bids Person A's $55K bid. The history would show what appears to be Person A out bidding himself.

That's just a quirk with EBay's bidding history report.

I do agree, though, that there is a lot of shill bidding going on, as well as a lot of "item removed because it is no longer available" games.

The auctions to watch are the ones with no reserve and actually sell to someone with more than 10 or 15 feedbacks, and not one of the GT500 bidaholics, a la mallofgeorgiainternetsales..

Or...two people working as a team. One person lists a car at a Buy-It-Now price that's $10k below MSRP. His Buddy immediately "buys" it for that price.

Well...okay. $20k below MSRP.

5 or 6 of those sales would be pretty funny. Kind of a "reverse" shill bidding.

Well when I bought my car, I found it on Ebay, but didn't buy it on Ebay. It was one of those that "just disappeared" off there, it had bids on it as well as the "buy it now" which I took. At that particular time there were no other white ones available "on the ground" as they like to say, except one in Texas which had over 200 mi. on it and he wanted 18K over. I asked him if he was gonna put new tires on it for that price and he thought I was kidding.

Then I saw that "mallofgeorgia" guy on there who boasts he has sold more Shelbys than anyone. Which apparently if you go back in completed items you'll see he is correct, as well as he bought more than anyone else. It looks like early on when dealers were only going for like 10K over he was buying any car that sold for less than 58K, then just resold them. When I bought my car he was bidding on "every" car which was an actual auction. Which may have added to the high dollar problem of buying a car, but it sounds like he's just a guy with alot of money, or a good bank, making 15% on a sale, which is probably more than they make on a normal car sale. Good business maybe, bad for us guys wanting a Shelby.

When you look at the Ebay sales and you see the same guy put 3 or 4 bids in a row, that usually means the guy that was above him had his set price at a level in which the multiple bidder snuck up on with 3 or 4 bids till he beat it.

Well when I bought my car, I found it on Ebay, but didn't buy it on Ebay. It was one of those that "just disappeared" off there, it had bids on it as well as the "buy it now" which I took. At that particular time there were no other white ones available "on the ground" as they like to say, except one in Texas which had over 200 mi. on it and he wanted 18K over. I asked him if he was gonna put new tires on it for that price and he thought I was kidding.

Then I saw that "mallofgeorgia" guy on there who boasts he has sold more Shelbys than anyone. Which apparently if you go back in completed items you'll see he is correct, as well as he bought more than anyone else. It looks like early on when dealers were only going for like 10K over he was buying any car that sold for less than 58K, then just resold them. When I bought my car he was bidding on "every" car which was an actual auction. Which may have added to the high dollar problem of buying a car, but it sounds like he's just a guy with alot of money, or a good bank, making 15% on a sale, which is probably more than they make on a normal car sale. Good business maybe, bad for us guys wanting a Shelby.

When you look at the Ebay sales and you see the same guy put 3 or 4 bids in a row, that usually means the guy that was above him had his set price at a level in which the multiple bidder snuck up on with 3 or 4 bids till he beat it.

Thanks - I see the mall of GA guy is back at it bidding on any/everything under about 60K. I assume he is reselling them and as you say good for him and bad for us.....I still think there are some questions on e-bay reality but it does sound like more of this may be on the up and up than I originally thought. I think I am waiting for the end of winter unless something drastic happens. I have to think i can get one for 10-15K over with out much trouble if I have to down the road. I will only buy now if the price comes back down and I'll hope to be able to get it for MSRP next yr....If not then i have to make a choice I guess.

Archived