TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Details to Help defend ShelbyGT500

CobraCrazy

This post on Speed channel message board has me a bit riled up; and of course he uses our beloved C&D as his source for GT500 stats! Does anyone have some of the other mags results handy so I can refute some of this BS? Thanks

CC

It's an overpriced, overhyped, poor excuse of a sports car. Let's compare some numbers. I'm using the Car and Driver Road Test Digest from the 9/06 issue. It list the GT500 at an estimated price of $45,000. Let's assume you can really get it for that price. I know for a fact that some dealers are getting double that. Compare it to some other cars in it's price range. For about $5,000-$10,000 more, you can have a Vette. The Vette will beat it hands down. For the same price of the GT500, you can buy a 2 ton luxury car in the Chrysler 300C SRT8. The Mustang does the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds, and 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. The SRT8 does it in 13.2 seconds, and 4.7 seconds with 75 less horse power. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 matchs the GT500's 0-60 numbers and is only .4 of a second slower in the 1/4 mile. The Jeep is $5,000 dollars cheaper, has 75 less horse power, and it's brick like aerodynamics slow it in the 1/4 mile. The Mistbishi EVO cost $9,000 less. The Subaru WRX STi cost $12,000 less. They perform the acceleration numbers in 4.8 and 13.6 seconds for the Mitsu, and 4.9 and 13.4 seconds for the Suby.

Both of the 4 cylinder Japanesse cars will handle better than the GT500. The SUV and the full size family car are just behind the GT500. In all of the cars I mentioned, the numbers are close enough that the difference is the driver. Was I wrong?

This post on Speed channel message board has me a bit riled up; and of course he uses our beloved C&D as his source for GT500 stats! Does anyone have some of the other mags results handy so I can refute some of this BS? Thanks

CC

It's an overpriced, overhyped, poor excuse of a sports car. Let's compare some numbers. I'm using the Car and Driver Road Test Digest from the 9/06 issue. It list the GT500 at an estimated price of $45,000. Let's assume you can really get it for that price. I know for a fact that some dealers are getting double that. Compare it to some other cars in it's price range. For about $5,000-$10,000 more, you can have a Vette. The Vette will beat it hands down. For the same price of the GT500, you can buy a 2 ton luxury car in the Chrysler 300C SRT8. The Mustang does the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds, and 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. The SRT8 does it in 13.2 seconds, and 4.7 seconds with 75 less horse power. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 matchs the GT500's 0-60 numbers and is only .4 of a second slower in the 1/4 mile. The Jeep is $5,000 dollars cheaper, has 75 less horse power, and it's brick like aerodynamics slow it in the 1/4 mile. The Mistbishi EVO cost $9,000 less. The Subaru WRX STi cost $12,000 less. They perform the acceleration numbers in 4.8 and 13.6 seconds for the Mitsu, and 4.9 and 13.4 seconds for the Suby.

Both of the 4 cylinder Japanesse cars will handle better than the GT500. The SUV and the full size family car are just behind the GT500. In all of the cars I mentioned, the numbers are close enough that the difference is the driver. Was I wrong?

SRT8 - You can make a turd go faster than a speeding bullet.

Guess what, it's still a turd.

If he can't see the style and badass'ness of the GT500 or Mustangs in general then he just doesn't get it, won't get it, and it's useless talking to someone of that mindset.

I'd rather have a GT500 than an SRT8 or any other car he mentioned even if they could beat the GT500 by 5 car lengths in any race.

(that includes the Vette. I owned one once.... <shiver> what a pile that thing was.)

If the car was named GT500 or Cobra no one would care about this car... Add the word SHELBY and POOF everybody wants one... :shrug:

Not quite true, I'd have taken the Mustang GT if the GT500 hadn't become available, and adding Shelby only adds to, it doesn't detract from the car.

The GT500 is an all out updated version of something, I wanted as a kid walking/riding around in Long Beach CA. :bike:

I really didn't care if FoMoCo called it a Mustang SVT/Cobra, or Bullitt, or Shelby, or GT500. :P

DLW

CC

An awesome ride like the GT 500 needs no defense. :rockon::shift:

CC

Sounds like he is a bench racer. I bet he is either younger than 16 and has never driven or no older than 20 and drives a Civic with a Fart Can. I am sure he has never driven a 500 hp car.

I can't sit here and say the GT500 will beat everything, but, there is not much that will outdo it in overall performance. Especially the "make your nuts get bigger" performance catagory.

CC

I don't think you need to defend the GT500, misery loves company and ignorance does too.

The goon that posted this probably drives a pink VW Beetle, or Bug or whatever you call it and he's proud as a pig in Sh*t to be seen in it.

Let this :censored: 'in monkey believe what he wants to believe as we sit back and watch Evolution take us into the 9's with our PIG (or BOAT) or whatever the fairys want to call it and I'll just keep on modding mine until I'm pretty sure I can beat him in his new Pink Super Beetle (even if he is wearing his lucky purple Speedo's).

CC

Don't even try to argue with someone like this...you can't win. Yes, a Vette can run the GT500. You can't give a single number for a time...it depends on driver, altitude, ambient temp, and other factors...but if you put the Vette and the GT500 together, the Vette would win. Who cares...I don't like Vettes. Let him buy his Vette, and you buy your GT500. Everyone is happy.

I'm getting bored of these arguments...you can bench race this thing to death, but you'll never convince anyone of anything. Yes, there are some dealers selling them for $90,000...but there are also some selling them for MSRP (I have one on order at MSRP).

Dave

If the car was named GT500 or Cobra no one would care about this car... Add the word SHELBY and POOF everybody wants one... :shrug:

I disagree. Take the Shelby letters off and give me back the money for them..I don't need it to say Shelby. If you'd look at the polls taken, you'd see that your statement is incorrect.

Dave

OK I get the point: why bother with the moron--so I won't.

I think it's worth defending. The poster (moron) obviously has an agenda. He/she/it chose one of the least representative performance tests out there. There are plenty of other road tests that show it's real potential. to suggest that the difference between a 13.7 second car and a 12.8 second car is just the driver hasn't spent too much time the track. Keeping in mind that the numbers he cites were all achieved with "professional" drivers makes a one second gap as driver error a ludicrous assumption. What's more, this car is severely detuned from the factory in all manners from boost levels, fuel/spark curve, to the exhaust. This car is an absolute beast just waiting to be uncorked.

You are just now starting to see GT500's out there that have received very minor mods like a good tune and better exhaust and voila, you now have an 11 second car with a full factory warranty (exhaust won't void the warranty, but just don't forget to reverse the tune before taking it in to service) that gets 20+ mpg and won't beat you up driving on the street and has airconditioning. It will, with these relatively inexpensive mods, give a Z06 a good run for the money - for far less $$. Yes, let's be honest (and fair) - given that the Z06 also had, and still does in some places, a substantial ADM, the ADM issue is a wash when comparing performance/$$ between these two cars. The Z06 does have an advantage of having been on the market for a while, so it's ADM's have cooled somewhat.

I had a customer in the showroom today that seemed to want to play like he was ineterested in buying the car, but at the same time did nothing but try to bash it (any other car salesmen/women out there know exactly the type I'm talking about). I had to set him straight (basically went over the points made above).

:soapbox:

Yes, I take it personally when idiots come in and bash Mustangs. It will be debated forever what the "value" is in the GT500, but Mustangs in general are without doubt the best new car bang for your buck anywhere.

I think it's worth defending. The poster (moron) obviously has an agenda. He/she/it chose one of the least representative performance tests out there. There are plenty of other road tests that show it's real potential. to suggest that the difference between a 13.7 second car and a 12.8 second car is just the driver hasn't spent too much time the track. Keeping in mind that the numbers he cites were all achieved with "professional" drivers makes a one second gap as driver error a ludicrous assumption. What's more, this car is severely detuned from the factory in all manners from boost levels, fuel/spark curve, to the exhaust. This car is an absolute beast just waiting to be uncorked.

You are just now starting to see GT500's out there that have received very minor mods like a good tune and better exhaust and voila, you now have an 11 second car with a full factory warranty (exhaust won't void the warranty, but just don't forget to reverse the tune before taking it in to service) that gets 20+ mpg and won't beat you up driving on the street and has airconditioning. It will, with these relatively inexpensive mods, give a Z06 a good run for the money - for far less $$. Yes, let's be honest (and fair) - given that the Z06 also had, and still does in some places, a substantial ADM, the ADM issue is a wash when comparing performance/$$ between these two cars. The Z06 does have an advantage of having been on the market for a while, so it's ADM's have cooled somewhat.

I had a customer in the showroom today that seemed to want to play like he was ineterested in buying the car, but at the same time did nothing but try to bash it (any other car salesmen/women out there know exactly the type I'm talking about). I had to set him straight (basically went over the points made above).

Yes, I take it personally when idiots come in and bash Mustangs. It will be debated forever what the "value" is in the GT500, but Mustangs in general are without doubt the best new car bang for your buck anywhere.

Way to stand up for the car, Rat!

Dang right, lets take car of this bozo :gang: The Huey aint been out in months. :rant:

Both of those cars in your avatar yours? If so, nice stable. Got anything else?

Way to stand up for the car, Rat!

Both of those cars in your avatar yours? If so, nice stable. Got anything else?

Thanks, they are. 33 Ford Pickup (rodded and modded) 38 Chevy 5 window, 46 Ford Sedan, 54 Chevy Pickup, 64 Prostreet Falcon Blown Cleveland 750 plus hp, 65 Falcon SuperGas car, 66 Mustang Fastback modded, 66 Fairlane soon to be a 427 clone, 99 Lightning, the two avatar cars and a 2004 F-150 FX4. Some are not complete but none of them have been left alone. It takes me forever as I try to do most of the work on them. Its a chore keeping the running ones running. :shift:

Thanks, they are. 33 Ford Pickup (rodded and modded) 38 Chevy 5 window, 46 Ford Sedan, 54 Chevy Pickup, 64 Prostreet Falcon Blown Cleveland 750 plus hp, 65 Falcon SuperGas car, 66 Mustang Fastback modded, 66 Fairlane soon to be a 427 clone, 99 Lightning, the two avatar cars and a 2004 F-150 FX4. Some are not complete but none of them have been left alone. It takes me forever as I try to do most of the work on them. Its a chore keeping the running ones running. :shift:

Wow, I guess you really are a carnut.

ratnacage--

Well put! Thanks for the reply. I often enjoy and agree with your posts.

carnut,

Can I come over to your house to play? You're living my dream. My first car (actually my second but the 1st was a 60 VWbug I drove for three months so I hope it doesn't count and won't keep me out of automotive heaven) was a 66 Fairlane GT with a 390. I wanted so bad to drop a 427 into that car, but always spent too much of my money on gas- cruising CY avenue looking for girls (this was in Wyoming--so very few girls & lots of cruising--and please no sheep jokes).

CC

ratnacage--

Well put! Thanks for the reply. I often enjoy and agree with your posts.

carnut,

Can I come over to your house to play? You're living my dream. My first car (actually my second but the 1st was a 60 VWbug I drove for three months so I hope it doesn't count and won't keep me out of automotive heaven) was a 66 Fairlane GT with a 390. I wanted so bad to drop a 427 into that car, but always spent too much of my money on gas- cruising CY avenue looking for girls (this was in Wyoming--so very few girls & lots of cruising--and please no sheep jokes).

CC

Ok, no sheep jokes, I understand, I was born in Montana. I see you're in Colorado, heck yeah, come on down. A 66 GT, that is a handsome car. I bet you wish you still had it. :doh:

My clone is starting with a 66 XL 500, the 289 and C4 go in the trash. The car is a straight Arizona car, absolutely flawless sides and trim. I haven't decided yet whose FE Block to use as I want to end up with about 550 ci. I want to find an old injection system (Hilborn) and convert it to modern FI technology, will need a killer auto, maybe a worked on C-6 with over/unit on the back. Mini-tubes maybe. 4 wheel discs all around. Black paint with red leather. I've begun collecting pieces but likely will be next year before I get real serious on it. :cheerleader:

Have to finish the engine transmission upgrade on the 66 Mustang first, killer 347 stroker with a Baumann built AODE and a little sniff of gas. :rockon: They are just sitting on the garage floor waiting for me to get done with the wife's preholiday honey do's :shrug:

Archived