TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How much does a stock SGT wheel weigh?

Gentlemen,

Has anybody weighed one of the 18" x 8.5" Bullitt wheels that came from the factory on our Shelby GTs? I know the GT500 wheel weighs 28 lbs. The forged Ford GT wheels (4 fronts-18" x 9") I am ordering for my Shelby GT only weigh 20 lbs. :happy feet: To figure out how much unsprung weight I am saving I need to know the weight of my stock wheels. Hopefully somebody knows this number so I won't have to dismount a wheel and remove the tire to weigh it myself. Thanks.

Chip

Gentlemen,

Has anybody weighed one of the 18" x 8.5" Bullitt wheels that came from the factory on our Shelby GTs?

Chip

Is this our wheel?

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99012321

If so....22 pounds.

Kevin

BINGO!! I love this site. Thanks Kevin.

Chip

Quite welcome, Chip, and I concur - this is a great site with wonderful folks onboard.

Would you define "unsprung weight", please, and how it might differ (or be more important?) than plain old "weight"?

Kevin

Look up the shipping weight of both wheels. The difference should be pretty close to the actual difference in weight of the wheels.

I weighed the stock wheel, inflated at one point. If memory serves me right, which it probably doesn't LOL, I think it was 52lb's. I know the 20" chrome razors inflated, were lighter by 2 to 4lbs per wheel.

Quite welcome, Chip, and I concur - this is a great site with wonderful folks onboard.

Would you define "unsprung weight", please, and how it might differ (or be more important?) than plain old "weight"?

Kevin

Unsprung weight is weight or load that is not being supported by the vehicle's springs; examples are wheels, tires, rotors, etc. The lighter all this unsprung weight is, the quicker your suspension can react to changes in road conditions, etc., not to mention that you overall vehicle weight (i.e. mass) is reduced which provides for quicker acceleration, etc.

Archived