TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Inputs for jacks to purchase.

Well, since last time at my local dealership my front bumper got scraped while performing a simple oil change I've decided to change my oil from now on but I need some input as to what jacks are you guys using that is low enough to go under our SGT. I've looked at some at Northern tools and Sears but I'd like to hear personally as to what you guys are using. I thought about ramps but then I'll be limited as to what I can do. I'd like to take off my wheels and wash the inside of them and the wheel well.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

CostCo has a nice low-profile jack. I'm thinking about buying one for myself.

I bought the Costco jack about a year ago. Works great and is Ford Blue. What's not to like :shrug:

Jim

Well, since last time at my local dealership my front bumper got scraped while performing a simple oil change I've decided to change my oil from now on but I need some input as to what jacks are you guys using that is low enough to go under our SGT. I've looked at some at Northern tools and Sears but I'd like to hear personally as to what you guys are using. I thought about ramps but then I'll be limited as to what I can do. I'd like to take off my wheels and wash the inside of them and the wheel well.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I use rhino ramps with 2in wood in front of ramp for easy drive up and there's enough room to do whatever you please to do. I also jack up from front crossmember and use sears jacks and place them under chassis where sissor jack would go.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Chris,

You can use 2 short lengths of 2x8's and cut one end at 45° for smoother approach this will raise the overall height to allow a floor jack to slide under easier... also easier to see where to place lift point of the jack

Experimented with my older car ramps but the approach angle even with long extensions was too close to the lower fascia plus a bit challenging to safely run it up on the ramp without someone outside to guide you. Also an issue with adequate width of the ramp.

Likely there are newer ramps that may work well.

Lg

Used to have a Costco jack but it failed after about 14 uses. It seemed like it was really well put together, I think I ended up with one of the bad ones. It was one of those aluminum Jacks all silver in color. Bought it a couple of years ago to work on my 66 GT-H car. I really like it because it had a lift height of 22". I have not been able to locate a replacement so now I borrow my neighbor's jack. I also built up some 2 x 8's and created a two step ramp so that I can get the jack underneath the car.

My freaking eyes, at least up close, don't work so well anymore so I really have to get the car up high off the ground so when under the car I can see what the hell I am doing. LOL. The aging process just sucks!

Still looking for a good hydraulic jack with ample lift height at least 20" so if anyone has a good lead please pass it on.

Cheers.

I also have the costco jack, the aluminum jack in all silver. Had it for about 2 years or so and have never had a problem. I use it about 1-2 times a month and love the thing. Highly recommended.

OK then, I did get a lemon.

Costco's in AZ aren't carrying the jack anymore Reino you luck dog. Hope it last's a long time for you. Sounds like you use it a bunch.

Thanks for the info.

Used to have a Costco jack but it failed after about 14 uses. It seemed like it was really well put together, I think I ended up with one of the bad ones. It was one of those aluminum Jacks all silver in color. Bought it a couple of years ago to work on my 66 GT-H car. I really like it because it had a lift height of 22". I have not been able to locate a replacement so now I borrow my neighbor's jack. I also built up some 2 x 8's and created a two step ramp so that I can get the jack underneath the car.

My freaking eyes, at least up close, don't work so well anymore so I really have to get the car up high off the ground so when under the car I can see what the hell I am doing. LOL. The aging process just sucks!

Still looking for a good hydraulic jack with ample lift height at least 20" so if anyone has a good lead please pass it on.

Cheers.

I know what you mean about the eye problem. At 62 I have the same problem and bifocals don't seem to help. Sorry about your problem with the jack. Take it back. Seriously, Costco has about the best return policy I've ever seem, even with electronic items. Perhaps they'll give you a credit for another from their internet site. Good luck.

Jim

OK then, I did get a lemon.

Costco's in AZ aren't carrying the jack anymore Reino you luck dog. Hope it last's a long time for you. Sounds like you use it a bunch.

Thanks for the info.

Sir, I would try taking it back and see what they say. I dont know about jacks but do know they have a great in store warranty on electronics, which should have many more issues then jacks, I would think. I know a guy who had a TV for almost 2 years and it stopped working, he took it back and they replaced it, no questions asked.

What Pastor said, I should read all posts before I reply. Might save me a few key strokes.

American forge and foundry makes a model 200T that i have found perfect for the SGT.

I can get straight under the front bumper,no scraping, and it only takes about 4-5 pumps and your up.

This is a 2 Ton Jack (very heavy) I purchased mine through amazon.com for the best deal.

Low profile and heavy duty!! what more could you ask for?

http://www.automotivetools.com/cgi-local/S....html?E+scstore

Here is a pic of the jack im talking about. Remember, check Amazon.com for competitive pricing.

I got about a day involved in research and i think if i remember right i paid about $180.00 with free shipping.

• 1 month later...

I know this an old thread but I just got around to taking photos

I have a Griots floor jack Made in Spain Griots

web.jpg

I have U.S. Jack jack stands Made in the USA U.S. Jack

web.jpg

I have Blitz Tirehugger wheel chocks Made in the USA Blitz

web.jpg

Be safe !

Andrew

Archived