TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Romeo Niche Line

gt50035

First, a big thank you to hopsgt500 for posting that George Whiting one of my engine builders is retiring. His last day is next Wednesday, 11/23. Without this post my story would not have been possible. I contacted engine builder Tom Henson through this forum as suggested by hopsgt500 and he was gracious enough to respond quickly and facilitated a special visit for me to meet George before he retires and my other engine builder Bill Sheffer.

A special thanks to Jennifer, the niche line manager for allowing me to visit the plant on such short notice and to Ron the line coordinator for greeting me at the gate and welcoming me into the facility. Also, a big thank you to Tom Henson for coordinating my visit and to his build partner Matt for the directions through Detroit on the fly (and for running to Wendy's for lunch)!! Basically I drove 4 1/2 hours yesterday morning and arrived at the plant around 11:00am. Ron and Jennifer welcomed me to the Niche line and had me pull my car into the facility for the other builders to see.

I had the pleasure of meeting several niche line members including my builders George Whiting and Bill Sheffer. I can't say enough great things about all of these folks. It was a special treat to meet such a fine group of individuals that share in the excitement of the GT500 with all of us and take a tremendous amount of pride in building these fine motors. They are professionals building the finest production motors in the world!

Once again, a big thank you to all of the niche line folks, Jennifer, Ron, Tom, Matt, Jerry, Mark, Jason, (and everyone). I hope you all enjoyed the cookies! And, George, I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I enjoyed having you experience the thrill of the motor you and Bill built for me. Best of luck to you in your retirement and enjoy the Asti.

Team Shelby, I highly recommend this trip if you can make it. Tom Henson's forum ID is "niche_line_tom" for anyone wishing to visit the facility. I am sure there will be another tour next summer.

Of course I toured the line, learned a lot about our engines and took some pics:

First things first: My builders, Bill Sheffer (left) and George Whiting (right):

post-6216-1227158439_thumb.jpg

Had George and Bill sign my engine bay:

post-6216-1227158413_thumb.jpg

Signed SVT Certificate and special engine plate:

post-6216-1227158737_thumb.jpg

Timing Chain Kit:

post-6216-1227158584_thumb.jpg

Timing Chains Installed:

post-6216-1227158610_thumb.jpg

Most recent Clutch (note part number):

post-6216-1227158668_thumb.jpg

Clutch pads:

post-6216-1227158676_thumb.jpg

GO Romeo!!

post-6216-1227158599_thumb.jpg

post-6216-1227158599_thumb.jpg

First, a big thank you to hopsgt500 for posting that George Whiting one of my engine builders is retiring. His last day is next Wednesday, 11/23. Without this post my story would not have been possible. I contacted engine builder Tom Henson through this forum as suggested by hopsgt500 and he was gracious enough to respond quickly and facilitated a special visit for me to meet George before he retires and my other engine builder Bill Sheffer.

A special thanks to Jennifer, the niche line manager for allowing me to visit the plant on such short notice and to Ron the line coordinator for greeting me at the gate and welcoming me into the facility. Also, a big thank you to Tom Henson for coordinating my visit and to his build partner Matt for the directions through Detroit on the fly (and for running to Wendy's for lunch)!! Basically I drove 4 1/2 hours yesterday morning and arrived at the plant around 11:00am. Ron and Jennifer welcomed me to the Niche line and had me pull my car into the facility for the other builders to see.

I had the pleasure of meeting several niche line members including my builders George Whiting and Bill Sheffer. I can't say enough great things about all of these folks. It was a special treat to meet such a fine group of individuals that share in the excitement of the GT500 with all of us and take a tremendous amount of pride in building these fine motors. They are professionals building the finest production motors in the world!

Once again, a big thank you to all of the niche line folks, Jennifer, Ron, Tom, Matt, Jerry, Mark, Jason, (and everyone). I hope you all enjoyed the cookies! And, George, I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I enjoyed having you experience the thrill of the motor you and Bill built for me. Best of luck to you in your retirement and enjoy the Asti.

Team Shelby, I highly recommend this trip if you can make it. Tom Henson's forum ID is "niche_line_tom" for anyone wishing to visit the facility. I am sure there will be another tour next summer.

Of course I toured the line, learned a lot about our engines and took some pics:

First things first: My builders, Bill Sheffer (left) and George Whiting (right):

Had George and Bill sign my engine bay:

Signed SVT Certificate and special engine plate:

Timing Chain Kit:

Timing Chains Installed:

Most recent Clutch (note part number):

Clutch pads:

GO Romeo!!

Geoff,

I'm glad you were able to get with George before he retired. They are all a special group of people who take a lot of pride in building the engines we enjoy in our Shelbys. Thanks for the pics. :shift:

Steve

George & Bill also built my motor and came outside for pictures and to sign the shroud under the hood at the Dearborn event in September

I can't imagine that any other assembly plant would take the time to allow the customers that already purchased vehicles to come by like this

Truly wonderful

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the pics. I was surfing around to find some information about bill and george. it's great to get a face behind the names on the engine.

Glad to do it....They are great guys and built some strong engines!

Archived