TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe question?

mrdci

Well I finally got to see a Shelby. The local dealer just got there 1 allotment car. I noticed in two places the stripes overlap. Is it like this on all the Shelbys?

Stripe1.JPG

Stripe2.JPG

Well I finally got to see a Shelby. The local dealer just got there 1 allotment car. I noticed in two places the stripes overlap. Is it like this on all the Shelbys?

Stripe1.JPG

Stripe2.JPG

Can someone who has a shelby with stripes chime in and let us know if this is the way the stripes look on their car.... This looks really bad!

Thanks! :doh:

Can someone who has a shelby with stripes chime in and let us know if this is the way the stripes look on their car.... This looks really bad!

Thanks! :doh:

ROFL

Man that's Ford Quality right there.

I just bought a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder with 50k miles on it. It's got better fit and finish than my 2004 Cobra had from the factory. No squeeks or rattles either. Runs like new.

Then I see this stuff, and it reminds me how superior a worker that doesn't resent being a worker can churn out an amazing product. See, the Nissan was made in Japan (literally this one was) and there the car line workers and everyone else just makes the best of their lives and what they do. Anything and everything they do, they do it well and to the best of their ability. I think that's why 'Japanese cars' are superior in fit and finish to American at the end of the day. The American worker does the bare minimum needed to get by, where a Japanese worker considers it a mark of pride to do a job well.

I'm literally stunned that this flagship car has fit and finish like this and it's considered 'normal'.

Wow.

this is like posting a closeup of cindy crawford's pimple and remarking about how ugly she is. this is barely noticable from a distance. the car is not clean... which makes it look even worse. :doh:

please do not get your panties in a gather over the stripes on the GT500. This is an "affordable" supercar for a reason. we could all come up with a list of 100 things to improve the car... but at what cost? the line has to be drawn somewhere. i would rather have more power than prettier stripes any day. If you stay up at night obscessing about the visible seams in the striping, perhaps this car is not for you. Trust me when i say that you will blow by the competetion so quickly in this car... they will not notice the seams! :rant:

flamesuit on. give me your best shot!

this is like posting a closeup of cindy crawford's pimple and remarking about how ugly she is. this is barely noticable from a distance. the car is not clean... which makes it look even worse. :doh:

please do not get your panties in a gather over the stripes on the GT500. This is an "affordable" supercar for a reason. we could all come up with a list of 100 things to improve the car... but at what cost? the line has to be drawn somewhere. i would rather have more power than prettier stripes any day. If you stay up at night obscessing about the visible seams in the striping, perhaps this car is not for you. Trust me when i say that you will blow by the competetion so quickly in this car... they will not notice the seams! :rant:

+1, BoneDoc. Well put.

The stripes on my GT500 are very well done. They don't look thick to me. They do have overlapping sections, but the overlapping pieces are VERY even, and the overlap isn't noticable except on close inspection.

The stripes on this car look just fine, and I don't understand why people are so worked up over them. :baby:

I'll second that. As the photos show, you have to be pretty close to really notice. Take another picture a little further back and straight on, rather than from the side, and it's barely noticable.

Yeah....well *I* look better and thinner if you stand way back, too! :hysterical:

Listen, I have been to a half dozen shows (not concours, just shows) and I've had probably 20 people comment on how bad they look. They all love the car but are stunned at the lack of quality on the stripes. Mine was built in June, when they weren't so damned backlogged, and I've had a few replaced because of poor fit. This has been beaten to death on this and other forums. At the end of the day, I will no longer have a $43,000 car, but a $46,000 car because I'm having mine painted on. Ford can't do it at the plant level because they don't have the facilities or manpower...and unlike the GT, this isn't a hand built vehicle. Paint was an option on them.

The biggest problem is that they didn't spend the dough to have these designed and cut to fit properly. They are trying to put square products on rounded surfaces. It's like putting carpet on a winding staircase.

I'm visiting my car on Saturday to see the progress. BTW, I got bids anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 to have them all stripped and painted. This guy is absolutely awesome and just so happens to be one of the more reasonable. Pix soon!

:shift:

bj

I may be lucky, but I don't seem to have as bad a problem as others. My overlaps are less and my edges are off from one piece to another only about 1/64th of an inch. The more I drive it, the better the fit is. I just don't spend much time on the electron-microscope these days. It is what it is and it looks fine to me. Sorry if others' didn't turn out as well. If you blur the photo just a bit, like they do for glamor shots, I guarantee it looks sweet - just like Cindy (zits and all).

ROFL

Man that's Ford Quality right there.

I just bought a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder with 50k miles on it. It's got better fit and finish than my 2004 Cobra had from the factory. No squeeks or rattles either. Runs like new.

Then I see this stuff, and it reminds me how superior a worker that doesn't resent being a worker can churn out an amazing product. See, the Nissan was made in Japan (literally this one was) and there the car line workers and everyone else just makes the best of their lives and what they do. Anything and everything they do, they do it well and to the best of their ability. I think that's why 'Japanese cars' are superior in fit and finish to American at the end of the day. The American worker does the bare minimum needed to get by, where a Japanese worker considers it a mark of pride to do a job well.

I'm literally stunned that this flagship car has fit and finish like this and it's considered 'normal'.

Wow.

Hows this for Nissan quality as you put it. Saw this on Yahoo just a second ago. Heres the link and the text from the article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_on_..._nissan_recalls

TOKYO - Nissan Motor Co. has begun recalling more than 130,000 vehicles globally — including 80,000 in North America — because of an ignition key defect, a company official said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

There have been no reports of injuries related to the defect, the Transport Ministry said.

Nissan is recalling in Japan of 50,962 X-Trail and Murano sport utility vehicles produced from August 2004 to July 2006, Nissan spokeswoman Madoka Soma said.

Overseas, the Tokyo-based manufacturer is recalling about 70,000 Muranos in North America, 300 in Taiwan and 800 in Singapore, she said. No X-Trails have been sold overseas.

Also being recalled for the same defect are 10,000 Maxima sedans in North America, Nissan said.

Some of the rods connecting the ignition part with parts that start the engine are too long, so the cars sometimes don't start properly, Nissan said. Occasionally, the engines start even when the ignition is turned off and the driver moves the steering wheel, it said.

The recalls involve only models using Nissan's "intelligent keys" with integrated circuit chips inside, which allows drivers to open their car doors with their keys still inside their pockets by just pressing on the handle. Drivers don't need to insert the intelligent key to get the car to start, and can keep the key anywhere nearby.

The defect involved in Thursday's recall is not related to the integrated circuit chip features but to the regular ignition part of the key.

Nissan shares fell 21 yen, or 1.54 percent, to 1,346 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

I must have missed something as I was taking a crap.

What does a Pathfinder have to do with a Shelby?

Nest Pa?

I'm pretty weak when it comes to analogies - sorry y'all.

Does a Pathfinder have stripes??

I thought they just had those cute little faux first aid kits on the rear doors. Very chic.

Yeah....well *I* look better and thinner if you stand way back, too! :hysterical:

You dont have a Cindy Crawford pimple do you ? :poke:

Listen, I have been to a half dozen shows (not concours, just shows) and I've had probably 20 people comment on how bad they look. They all love the car but are stunned at the lack of quality on the stripes. Mine was built in June, when they weren't so damned backlogged, and I've had a few replaced because of poor fit. This has been beaten to death on this and other forums. At the end of the day, I will no longer have a $43,000 car, but a $46,000 car because I'm having mine painted on. Ford can't do it at the plant level because they don't have the facilities or manpower...and unlike the GT, this isn't a hand built vehicle. Paint was an option on them.

A lot of people have looked at mine at the car shows and no one has commented on bad stripes.

The biggest problem is that they didn't spend the dough to have these designed and cut to fit properly. They are trying to put square products on rounded surfaces. It's like putting carpet on a winding staircase.

That would have made them harder yet to install

I'm visiting my car on Saturday to see the progress. BTW, I got bids anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 to have them all stripped and painted. This guy is absolutely awesome and just so happens to be one of the more reasonable. Pix soon!

:shift:

bj

Some people insist on paint, I hope it comes out well for you :party:

She has a pimple?

Where is it? :baby:

Right between her ..................er, nevermind :cheerleader:

+1

Do you like cucumbers? If so, here's a close-up (magnified 350x) of the skin of one. Do you still want to eat it?

post-3382-1161311276_thumb.jpg

How about french fries? Here's a fry cut open and magnified 1000x.

post-3382-1161311300_thumb.jpg

Dave

post-3382-1161311276_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1161311300_thumb.jpg

Hows this for Nissan quality as you put it. Saw this on Yahoo just a second ago. Heres the link and the text from the article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_on_..._nissan_recalls

TOKYO - Nissan Motor Co. has begun recalling more than 130,000 vehicles globally — including 80,000 in North America — because of an ignition key defect, a company official said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

There have been no reports of injuries related to the defect, the Transport Ministry said.

Nissan is recalling in Japan of 50,962 X-Trail and Murano sport utility vehicles produced from August 2004 to July 2006, Nissan spokeswoman Madoka Soma said.

Overseas, the Tokyo-based manufacturer is recalling about 70,000 Muranos in North America, 300 in Taiwan and 800 in Singapore, she said. No X-Trails have been sold overseas.

Also being recalled for the same defect are 10,000 Maxima sedans in North America, Nissan said.

Some of the rods connecting the ignition part with parts that start the engine are too long, so the cars sometimes don't start properly, Nissan said. Occasionally, the engines start even when the ignition is turned off and the driver moves the steering wheel, it said.

The recalls involve only models using Nissan's "intelligent keys" with integrated circuit chips inside, which allows drivers to open their car doors with their keys still inside their pockets by just pressing on the handle. Drivers don't need to insert the intelligent key to get the car to start, and can keep the key anywhere nearby.

The defect involved in Thursday's recall is not related to the integrated circuit chip features but to the regular ignition part of the key.

Nissan shares fell 21 yen, or 1.54 percent, to 1,346 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

And how many of those were American made? Probably most of them. I specifically stated that the Pathfinder I had was listed as originating in, and being built in, Japan. I have no idea what percentage are no longer 100% built there, but aside from mechanical flaws that are not the fault of the worker I'm relatively confident in saying that the craftsmanship on any 'US made' Nissan is inferior at the end of the day.

I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. I've had to tighten up all kinds of little bullshit on my Cobra and pretty much every Ford I have owned since 1993. (1993 5.0 LX, 99 Cobra, 2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra)

So yeah, I feel completely justified in stating what I did, and I stand by it. 2004 Cobra - little rattles and crap. 2002 Nissan built in Japan - Zero rattles 2x as many miles.

Omg you mean I commented on something that everyone acknowledges is a problem and that it should be better and that's a bad thing?

You seriously don't think they could have done a better job on teh stripes of most of these cars if they had tried a little harder?

You honestly don't feel that the GT500 LIMITED production Cobra shouldn't have a stripe issue?

What the hell man, I love the car I just find it disgusting that on this AWESOME car they half assed some things that I don't think shouldn't be perfect.

Why don't you read what I said and the intent behind it instead of reacting and typing the first thing that pops in your head? :doh:

My 96 Cobra is rattle free as is my wife's built in America Mazda6, and I'm especially impressed with the build quality of my bought new 2002 F-150. The Cobra has 94k on it and only problems have been a rear stabilizer bar (SVT treated me like sh*t --bought replacement from Steeda) and a water pump. 02 F-150 80K no problems, Mazda 30K no problems. My son's built in Japan Izuzu Rodeo on the other hand is a rattle-trap to the extreme. Does this mean I think all American made vehicles are better made than those from Japan? Nope.

Omg you mean I commented on something that everyone acknowledges is a problem and that it should be better and that's a bad thing?

You seriously don't think they could have done a better job on teh stripes of most of these cars if they had tried a little harder?

You honestly don't feel that the GT500 LIMITED production Cobra shouldn't have a stripe issue?

What the hell man, I love the car I just find it disgusting that on this AWESOME car they half assed some things that I don't think shouldn't be perfect.

Why don't you read what I said and the intent behind it instead of reacting and typing the first thing that pops in your head? :doh:

thanks for the post D_____C

i didn't say (or mean to say) that it's a bad thing that you post your opinion. it is your priviledge to do so. Please realize that it is my priviledge to tell you what i think about it, though.

The great thing about America is that there are lots of choices here. if you don't like the stripes on the GT500.... buy something else. I think Ford made an incredible car for the money. plain and simple. to complain about the stripes is a shame and misses the whole point of "affordable power".

JMHO

thanks for the post D_____C

i didn't say (or mean to say) that it's a bad thing that you post your opinion. it is your priviledge to do so. Please realize that it is my priviledge to tell you what i think about it, though.

The great thing about America is that there are lots of choices here. if you don't like the stripes on the GT500.... buy something else. I think Ford made an incredible car for the money. plain and simple. to complain about the stripes is a shame and misses the whole point of "affordable power".

JMHO

Sounds good, I love the GT500 don't get me wrong. :party:

+1

Do you like cucumbers? If so, here's a close-up (magnified 350x) of the skin of one. Do you still want to eat it?

cukeskin.gif

How about french fries? Here's a fry cut open and magnified 1000x.

smallpotato.jpg

Dave

Omg & I like cucumbers & fries.

Archived