TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB completed now shifting problems

900rf

Just picked up car today from dealer and noticed it was hard to get into 5th gear and when it was in 3rd it was acting like it was going to pop out of gear on deceleration = movement in shift lever, I had KR shifter installed when they did TSB.

Has anyone else experienced this also, anyone have any ideals what is causing this, tranny had new syncros installed, maybe it just takes some time to break them in ??? or is it possible to install shifter incorrectly so it would cause this problem.

I have called service writer and still waiting for call back.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the same problem with the 3rd gear, feeling like its going to pop out on deceleration, no problems getting into 5th. I've also got the frpp short throw in my car, after calling my dealer on this they said it was normal with the frpp shifter don't know if it's normal or not, but you're like the third person with the same issue as me so maybe it is normal.

Just backed car out of garage and noticed it was hard to get in reverse same as getting it in 5th shifter feels real stiff.

Normal for this shifter ?? will take it out again tomorrow and analyze it some more

None of that is normal. It should shift like butter. I've got the FRPP short throw shifter and new tranny, and it goes into every gear smooth as silk and stays there without any movement. Your dealer messed up something.

None of that is normal. It should shift like butter. I've got the FRPP short throw shifter and new tranny, and it goes into every gear smooth as silk and stays there without any movement. Your dealer messed up something.

..Rick, I've come to the conclusion that no dealers should be allowed to touch the tranny other than to replace it......I don't have the new flywheel yet, but when it comes down to decisions, I would pay for it all myself before I let them open my tranny (which is one of the new ones) Ford should just admit to the flaws and replace it all and be done with it.

What's up with the TSB repairs? This about the 4th problem install is so many days. Most seem to be related to the tranny work or bleeding the clutch properly. I assume changing the syncros requires some skill but are they just messing these up?

Rick I see you got a new tranny that's probably why you don't have any problems.. looks like I need to call Ford customer service and see if I can get a new tranny, this is starting to suck big time. Car shifted fine before this, I have the feeling that's it's the tranny that causing this not the shifter

I think we need a TSB for the TSB telling them about the many probloms that others are having associated with this clutch TSB issue. My car has 14,500 miles and is almost always just highway driven so no issues as yet. But it seems every one does eventually. I feel for you guys who are having issues and hope they get it straightened out soon. Maybe a poll on what was replaced is necessary to help identify probloms.

I got my car back last week and unfortunately have only driven it home. I was kind of shocked on the drive home that it still felt kind of notchy going into gear and it felt tighter. I didn't have the shifter replaced, it's still stock. I was thinking that maybe this is the way it is until reading this. I'll need to put some more miles on it and see what happens. I'd hate to have to bring it in again. It took 3 weeks to get it back the first time. :cry:

I had the TSB done about 3 weeks ago. Have the Shelby short throw shifter, part of the 40th package done by Shelby Vegas. When I got the car back this summer, the short throw shifter worked beautifully. Just slide from one gear to another, smooth as silk. After the TSB, started noticing problems going into 5th and reverse. Got to the point couldn't get it into fifth without going into 6th, then down shifting. Also, very hard finding 5th versus reverse. NOT GOOD. Well, its in shop now, and they are working on it. Dealer thought is might have been some problem with shifter re-install versus tranny, so we'll see. I just don't think the average Ford dealer knows how to properly handle this TSB.

I recently had the TSB performed along with the KR shifter. The car shifts better however I still have occasional notchiness shifting from first to second gear. I also have significant rattle in 3rd gear when decelerating ( gear rollover?). I placed rubber o rings between all of the shifter attachments- no change. I then took it back to the dealer and they removed the KR shifter arm and replaced it with the original- no change. I called the dealer and advised them that I would drive it for a bit and see what happens. Between Ford and I we are into this for almost $6000.00 (Canadian $ of course). Frustrating to say the least.

What's up with the TSB repairs? This about the 4th problem install is so many days. Most seem to be related to the tranny work or bleeding the clutch properly. I assume changing the syncros requires some skill but are they just messing these up?

It takes a very skilled tranny expert to rebuild a GT500 tranny:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=36452&hl=

Some of these tech's have no business touching these trannys from the sounds of things. :censored::banghead:

Frankc5601 sounds like your problem is exactly the same as mine, keep us posted on cure if indeed it can be fixed by a Ford technician, you would think with all of the engineers Ford has this would not be a problem to fix but I am starting to doubt their ability.

You would think with all of the problems coming after TSB that Ford would have a special team assembled and travel to dealers and perform TSB instead of spending $1000's to have it done incorrectly by local techs, some who have probably never worked on GT 500's before.

Has anyone who was lucky enough to have transmission replaced during TSB had these problems.

I was fortunate that the TSB kit was not in stock so they installed a new factory tranny.

Maybe you should demand that since they can't rebuild it right !

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts019.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts018.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts017.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts016.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts015.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts014.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts013.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts008.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts006.jpg

I had the same issues with my tranny post tsb (hard getting into 5th, reverse, chattering, etc). The foreman told me the tech that did the tsb on the car set it up "to tight". Not sure what that means, but he said it was not good. He then called the ford hotline and they told him to replace the unit. I should be getting my new tranny in sometime this week. I regret having them do the TSB. Sadly the same tech did my clutch packs and new ring and pinion (stock), and he messed that up to. the foreman once again said he set it up "to tight" and the ring and pinion where not contacting correctly. They have still not corrected this problem. I will be asking for a complete replacement after they fix my tranny. :banghead:

I had the same issues with my tranny post tsb (hard getting into 5th, reverse, chattering, etc). The foreman told me the tech that did the tsb on the car set it up "to tight". Not sure what that means, but he said it was not good. He then called the ford hotline and they told him to replace the unit. I should be getting my new tranny in sometime this week. I regret having them do the TSB. Sadly the same tech did my clutch packs and new ring and pinion (stock), and he messed that up to. the foreman once again said he set it up "to tight" and the ring and pinion where not contacting correctly. They have still not corrected this problem. I will be asking for a complete replacement after they fix my tranny. :banghead:

There is a special tool to press the syncros into place at a certian pressure. I wonder if he just "winged" it ? It sounds like he did not use the calibration tool to dial it in exactly.

Rick I see you got a new tranny that's probably why you don't have any problems.. looks like I need to call Ford customer service and see if I can get a new tranny, this is starting to suck big time. Car shifted fine before this, I have the feeling that's it's the tranny that causing this not the shifter

I'm pretty concerned right now. My Shelby is at the dealer right now getting the TSB done, including the tranny rebuild. (yes, I already had the tranny replaced earlier). I really hope they don't screw this up.

I've got the same problem with the 3rd gear, feeling like its going to pop out on deceleration, no problems getting into 5th. I've also got the frpp short throw in my car, after calling my dealer on this they said it was normal with the frpp shifter don't know if it's normal or not, but you're like the third person with the same issue as me so maybe it is normal.

John, tell them my car does not do that

it is not normal!

Archived