TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mushy Clutch Pedal + Grinding

Hello, all...

Picked up my Shelby from Waldorf Ford this morning after they completed the TSB work last Wed/Thurs (I was out of town on emergent travel until Sat night). Luckily the team there is great and agreed to keep my car in the shop until I picked it up this morning. They bring it around today at 0700 and I'm thinking, "Great, it moves, so the clutch must've been properly bled, right?" WRONG!

I get in the car, first three inches take NO force at all in the clutch pedal. Go back inside, service manager tells me to drive it for a bit, see if it gets better. So I head to work (~24 miles away). Clutch pedal feel tightens up a bit over time, but just as I'm getting near the office, I notice that if I coast in gear, there's a grinding sound as soon as I let off the gas (sounds like it's coming from the gear shifter area, just below). Could this also be a sign of air in the clutch line?

Dropped it back off today around 1200, no word yet. Should I e-mail them Grabber's PDF of the clutch bleed procedure? :headscratch:

Any ideas on the griding? Same issue, or something more? Thanks, guys!

That's the exact same thing mine did Friday when I picked mine up...(drove 115 miles to get there...)

No clutch pedal...and grinding when coasting or when the clutch was in, it was worse, will not downshift nor go into 4th without a tremendous hard grinding.

I took it back, they are looking at it today and thinking of scrapping it and ordering a new tranny...I haven't heard back yet.

PM if you hear that yours is fixed and what the problem was. I'll do the same.

It might go a long way if service advisors would test drive the car before calling the owner to pick it up. I guess some owners may not want people driving their car around but someone should check to see if the technician did his job right beside the owner.

Went back to the dealer to check on my baby today, and my service rep was wonderful, as usual...first test drive, they didn't hear the grinding. Let it sit for a few hours, drove it again - voila! Grinding!

After disassembling the tranny, they found one of the synchros (part of the TSB kit) was "bad" (I didn't press for more details). They ordered it this morning, should be there tomorrow, and hopefully I'll have my car back Thursday. They did say the clutch line did need to be bled a few more times, which was definitely the cause of the mushy pedal.

Centerfire, I've had nothing but great experiences at Waldorf Ford's service department. The same tech works on my car every time, and their transmission guy is a Master Tech with 30+ years experience. Everyone there has always been willing to take me back into the shop, show me the issue, and most importantly, they understand all my quirks regarding this car!

I'll keep you guys posted.

Archived