TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bonehead mistake at the fuel pump

markhudd

Well, I did it. I made a bonehead mistake at the fuel pump today in my Shelby. I get out of the car, and as soon as I do, this "older gentleman" on the other side starts commenting on the K.C. Chiefs dismal season. Well, I don't really care what the Chiefs do, but being sociable and just hearing two radio announcers blasting the Chiefs, I commence like I know what I'm talking about. So, anyway, while we're blabbering back and forth, I pull the pump nozzle out, stick it the tank, and push the 87 octane button, not realizing what I have done until about 6 gallons have been dispensed into the tank, I start to panick. :banghead: Unfortunately the tank is full. So I pull away from the pump, park the Shelby, and run inside to get some Sta-bil and add the appropriate amount. Has anyone else done this? Will it be O.K. or should I just shoot myself? :cry:

Well, I did it. I made a bonehead mistake at the fuel pump today in my Shelby. I get out of the car, and as soon as I do, this "older gentleman" on the other side starts commenting on the K.C. Chiefs dismal season. Well, I don't really care what the Chiefs do, but being sociable and just hearing two radio announcers blasting the Chiefs, I commence like I know what I'm talking about. So, anyway, while we're blabbering back and forth, I pull the pump nozzle out, stick it the tank, and push the 87 octane button, not realizing what I have done until about 6 gallons have been dispensed into the tank, I start to panick. :banghead: Unfortunately the tank is full. So I pull away from the pump, park the Shelby, and run inside to get some Sta-bil and add the appropriate amount. Has anyone else done this? Will it be O.K. or should I just shoot myself? :cry:

You will be fine. Your engine will run just fine on the low grade stuff if you stay out of boost. These engines are at a safe 8.4:1 compression ratio, and will not have any issues outside of boost. I would drive the car like a family car until your next tank. 6 gallons last how long? Maybe 100 miles? Reserve shooting yourself for when you do something really stupid, like denting the bottom of your car jacking in the wrong spot. Ask me how I know.

I agree with the others. Without mods your car computer can actually run fine on 87 octane.

Edit: Oops I read your signature and see you have an FRPP upgrade. If that kit included a computer tune then I would stay out of the boost. Use only 1-4th gear around town and only use 5th gear on the freeway will help to burn the fuel up a little faster.

BTW, we have had a couple of other members do this so your not alone.

You will be fine. Your engine will run just fine on the low grade stuff if you stay out of boost. These engines are at a safe 8.4:1 compression ratio, and will not have any issues outside of boost. I would drive the car like a family car until your next tank. 6 gallons last how long? Maybe 100 miles? Reserve shooting yourself for when you do something really stupid, like denting the bottom of your car jacking in the wrong spot. Ask me how I know.

At least you didn't dent the rear qurter panel opening the fuel door to far, I don't know how I did it, but I did.

I had one buddy that put a half a tank of diesel in his blown 502 59' caddy before he realized he'd picked up the wrong handle...

But they are right...STAY OUT OF THE BOOST

Go here and download the spreadsheet. It will let you know what the octane rating is in your tank now.

Run it down a few gallons and fill it up with racing fuel.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/Octanemix.html

Thanks, that's a pretty nifty tool.

My "Bonehead Mistake at the Pump" was a little differant and hope this may prevent some

from making the same mistake...............

Had my Mustang GT at the pump and pushed the right button for premium but then

realized the pump nozzle trigger was latched on and I pumped Gas all over my rear

deck lid before I could shut it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Lessen learned; Always push the fuel selection button that activates the pump before

removing the pump nozzle.............Pretty simple huh????????? :doh:

Thanks, that's a pretty nifty tool.

yea Mark, you're a bonehead, but I love ya anyway..... :hysterical:

...take an easy drive out east to grain valley and put some race gas in it, then you can race back west...... :happy feet:

several places here in kc sell race gas, for sure one in grain valley, and one down south, and another guy, mc racing in overland park, will sell 110 octane by the gallon. Pricey stuff, but drive down there, stick a couple gallons in, and let er romp........... :shift:

should've called me first, would have saved you the worry about all of it......my money would be on just going down to mc racing and stick a gallon or two in for peace of mind....let me know how it goes.

call them first, verify they still have it, they did as of august, 8.50 per gallon, make sure it is unleaded.

John

MC Racing

4880 Merriam Drive

Overland Park, KS 66203

PHONE: 913-789-9888

FAX: 913-789-9032

Unfortunately the tank is full. So I pull away from the pump, park the Shelby, and run inside to get some Sta-bil and add the appropriate amount. Has anyone else done this? Will it be O.K. or should I just shoot myself? :cry:

You should be okay as long as the engine isn't pinging (detonation). Be gentle while accelerating until you have a chance to burn off some of that low octane stuff and replace with some 91.

Also what was the purpose of adding the Sta-bil? :headscratch:

My typical term for my Shelby is I drive it like I stole it. Devil.gif

I think you should drive your's like you own for a few gallons. LMAO.gif

Great chart btw....But I'm confused??? Who's the tool? LMAO.gif

yea Mark, you're a bonehead, but I love ya anyway..... :hysterical:

...take an easy drive out east to grain valley and put some race gas in it, then you can race back west...... :happy feet:

several places here in kc sell race gas, for sure one in grain valley, and one down south, and another guy, mc racing in overland park, will sell 110 octane by the gallon. Pricey stuff, but drive down there, stick a couple gallons in, and let er romp........... :shift:

should've called me first, would have saved you the worry about all of it......my money would be on just going down to mc racing and stick a gallon or two in for peace of mind....let me know how it goes.

call them first, verify they still have it, they did as of august, 8.50 per gallon, make sure it is unleaded.

John

MC Racing

4880 Merriam Drive

Overland Park, KS 66203

PHONE: 913-789-9888

FAX: 913-789-9032

Thank you, John. I'll do just that. :happy feet:

Also what was the purpose of adding the Sta-bil? :headscratch:

Like I said, I panicked, and I thought the Sta-bil would take out any water or impurities from the 87 octane. :headscratch::idea:

There's no more water or impurities in 87 octane gas than in 91 octane gasoline. Stabil is used to stabilize gasoline in the entire fuel system when you plan to store a vehicle for a long period of time. Keeps from gumming up the fuel lines.

Archived