TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear window louvers

LSR

You've got to be kidding. Who would ruin their fine piece of machinery like that?

Well I am going to go with "to each their own" on this one.

In fact I am looking at putting a set on if/when I get my car next spring/summer. By the time I get my car my living room is going to look like Ruf's office did a while back :hysterical: . Christmas is going to be one heck of a toy year this year.

Here is another set. So if someone has a set on their Shelby I would like to see a side and a rear picture if possible.

Thanks

Not my taste either, but, I like the company he keeps.

I had a set on my '79 Cobra back in 1983. I ended up hating them. They rattled, trapped dirt and were hard to clean.

I'm a little confused.

What's the purpose of the louvers or scoops?

Aren't scoops supposed to provide air to brakes? Or something?

Are louvers supposed to keep the groceries from cooking on the way home??

The rear window louvers serve two purposes:

1) SOME people think they look nice

2) They keep direct heat out of the rear window, reducing interior temps in the summer

Now this next part is my OPINION....

Scoops were initially used on race cars to channel air to where it was needed...either to the carb or the brakes or for aerodynamic reasons. As a result of people always seeing these things on race cars, the auto makers used this as a marketing tool to put on cars and make them appear to be more like race cars. Now it's true that on some cars these things really do serve practical purposes...but in many cases today it's more for appearance. My '69 Camaro has a domed hood....allows warm air to escape the engine compartment...that part is functional. However, a rear spoiler on a '69 Camaro would not serve much of a purpose...because the downforce is negligible until you get to speeds higher than what that car could reach.

I say to each his own...add all such items you like. I think a few look good...and too many don't...use sparingly...just like most things in life, moderation is the key.

Dave

Louvers, those are the things my wife puts on the bedroom windows, oh sorry, they're blinds.

Makes no matter, they were hideous in the 70's and worse now cause we should know better. There a pain to clean the glass, the are hard to see out of and sometimes they rattle. Where are my bell bottom paints and my wide white belt. Oh and my baggie.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm........................those louvers are......................mmmmm..................looking really good. Where can I get some :hysterical:

You thought I was EC??

I didn't mention terminators - or evacuators - or whatever.

I just questioned the rationale for the cosmetic additions.

If you like 'em - put 'em on, man!

I don't really care.

I've got window tint to keep out the solar rays - and I don't need anything tacked on my flanks slowing me down as I approach Mach1! I like mine clean and slippery!

Put your money under the hood. :rockon:

I don't need anything tacked on my flanks slowing me down as I approach Mach1! I like mine clean and slippery!

"Approach" a Mach I? I thought with all the mods you'd be PASSING the Mach I. :hysterical:

Please use the word flanks sparingly...we worry when that word comes from a guy who posts thong pictures. :poke:

Dave

*** Talking to self below....

Dammit Dave...stop egging him on... :rant:

Louvers, those are the things my wife puts on the bedroom windows, oh sorry, they're blinds.

Makes no matter, they were hideous in the 70's and worse now cause we should know better. There a pain to clean the glass, the are hard to see out of and sometimes they rattle. Where are my bell bottom paints and my wide white belt. Oh and my baggie.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm........................those louvers are......................mmmmm..................looking really good. Where can I get some :hysterical:

They were OEM on 69 and 70 BOSS 302s

I think with the right graphics and other accessories they look great but do believe they clash with the over body stripe on the shelby. I would like to see some more photos of them on S197 cars before I make up my mind.

Well, I guess if someone did have the louvers on their Shelby and was a member of this site, they probably wouldn't post pictures now after hearing all the barking.

I was told by a pal of mine that has his Shelby that he ran into a guy that had rear louvers on his Shelby and he thought it looked horrible on the car. I saw the metal rear louvers on a Mustang GT and didn't like it either.

If we're talking about how retro the S197 body style is and we all like the retro look, then why are rear window louvers bad? I had them on my 2003 Mach 1. I took them off a couple times, but people thought it looked better with them. More of a retro touch that blended in well with the hood pins, shaker hood scoop, and magnum 500 styled wheels...

Here's my blue Mach 1 and a friend's red Mach 1 with rear louvers at a recent Mustang show...

post-2549-1161376051_thumb.jpg

And, God forbid, here's a real life classic GT500 with them...

post-2549-1161376147_thumb.jpg

And, hard to see from the front, but squint and you'll see rear window louvers on this pair of grabber orange Boss's (429 and 302) side by side, owned by a local (Ed R.) who wins tons of trophies with these perfectly restored beauties!

post-2549-1161376245_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1161375995_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1161375995_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1161376051_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1161376147_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1161376245_thumb.jpg

Anyone who clicked on that picture should seek help - there's a new clinic at Kitty Hawk NC on the Outer Banks. It will open tomorrow.

There is something very wrong with that picture - and the person who LOOKED FOR IT. :fan:

And now I have to try and get some sleep.

For God's sake, men, sober up. :rant: Is she really worth it?

And what in Hell does any of this have to do with Louvers?

Archived