TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Good News Bad News

angelmav

Just got off the phone with my dealer and here is the latest for anyone interested. Planned production for the 2007 Shelby Mustang is at 7,500 (They have been beating up the Ford people to get that number to have an idea what amount they may get). My guy has no idea as to allocation, at this point however it appears that many dealers are going to be getting fewer than they thought (His words not mine). Further, I am stationed overseas and working through the military car sales program which gives me the advantage of purchasing at $100 under MSRP (The good news) and can only take stateside delivery (which is what I wanted to do anyway). However there is so much interest that I have to buy into a raffle $2,000-3,000 down (no problem there) to see if I am one of the "lucky ones" to get the opportunity to purchase. Even then I was told not to expect to be able to order the car but to take what is allocated. I was offerd $2,500 off on a Mustang GT though. This has left me rather perplexed as I am not at all sure I want to pay that much (MSRP) for a car that I have to take "As Is" (Told I may not even get to make color choice) and 2. Have to sign an agreement not to sell for two years (had no such plans but still kind of ticks me off).

Ford has not announced X-plan privilages for any 2007 models yet, so the GT500 may not even be available on X-plan (Ford currently does not offer X-plan on GT or Hybrid). Even if Ford does offer X-plan, why on Earth would a dealership sell a super-hard-to-get GT500 for X-plan and forgoe the thousands of dollars of profit by selling at MSRP or MSRP+ADM?

I knew going in it would be MSRP if I use the military car sales program. Its a program that allows Servicemembers the opportunity to buy american made cars while stationed overseas. They get a hidden allocation and can borrow from other dealers allocation on most vehicles which is why I viewed it as a slam dunk way to get the car, since only servicemembers stationed overseas are elibible. However they have been told they will only receive an as yet undetermined number of cars for their program (Not nearly what they thought they would get or be able to get was the intimation) and that there will be no other incentives on price at least initially (no suprise there). My suprise was that so many other GI's are also trying to use the plan to get the car that they are having to go to the raffle to determine who gets to purchase. Also because these are cars that will have to be ordered by the military car sales program as their alloted dealer allocation the opportunity for me or anyone else to customize, choose color etc may not exist. Basically what I was told is that once Ford tells them how many they can get they will place the order for that number and will only sell what they get, they wont be placing customer orders on the 2007. While this is specific to the military car sales program and I am in a unique situation the fact that the demand is that high for such a small group (military overseas willing/able to pay 40 grand), the build numbers while no suprise also lead me back to the conclusion this is gonna be one heck of a tough car to get.

Archived