TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What makes a KR worth $35K more than GT500?

SWEDEMAN

Ok I added the parts up.....eh not even CLOSE to $15K. I know the Shelby name is worth something because I bought the name and love the name, but $35K more for a KR?????? What!

Tell me why this car is worth $80K+++ MSRP, really I'd love to hear it.

Ok I added the parts up.....eh not even CLOSE to $15K. I know the Shelby name is worth something because I bought the name and love the name, but $35K more for a KR?????? What!

My local dealer thinks it's worth another $60K on top of that.........2 sitting on the floor, 1 black, 1 blue.

I ask the same thing.......carbon fiber hood, 19"wheels & tires, carbon fiber front spoiler & mirror covers, Shelby shifter, FRPP suspenssion, long tubes & axle backe, spoiler.....and teh Shelby signature plate..........you get a LOT more on the SS for less........

But, I woudl still buy one.

I ask the same thing.......carbon fiber hood, 19"wheels & tires, carbon fiber front spoiler & mirror covers, Shelby shifter, FRPP suspenssion, long tubes & axle backe, spoiler.....and teh Shelby signature plate..........you get a LOT more on the SS for less........

But, I woudl still buy one.

LuisA - You seem and post like a gentlemen, so take this as I see it. You either have way too much money or as they say " a fool and his money are soon parted".

Well don't be shy, which one is it?

1) Your a multi mutli millionaire

2) Or your "a fool and blah blah blah......"

PS: Wheels are 18" Alcoa's I thought?

Answer.........the Market!!! in good times, but not now. Cars are a bad investment period. Even if you get double in 20 years at $160,000 (assuming you paid $80K) you don't think you could have put that $80 K into something else and make alot more..............you bet you a$$ you could have.

I could not understand the logic behind a $82,313.00 MSRP Mustang either, then I drove one.(over 100 miles through twisting foothill roads and full throttle straits)

The KR is unique. For one, it makes way more than the 540HP claimed. The suspension and steering are not bolt on aftermarket. They are well thought out and engineered too a very high standard. The owner of the KR also has a GT500 and he is just as amazed as I am with the performance.

I have driven several Super Snakes. While they are incredible and have there own merits, the KR is a totally different vehicle. An analogy that comes to mind is the difference between an AMG MB and Z06.

I reduced the contribution to my 401K and put the money towards my payments on a new Shelby GT-500. The car is tangible and is easier to look at than the 401K statements.

Thats about the first sensible thing I have heard on this thread (or in the entire group) in a long time!

Yes, the KR is overpriced in his market. I had my say on that some time ago (Shelby/Ford wanted a slice of the ADMs dealers were getting on GT500s). Do we really have to keep flogging this dead horse? KR "worth" is no different than the worth of anything - it is "worth" what someone will pay. Was Ford stock "worth" 6 times as much in 05 as it is today? Was my house "worth" 25% more two years ago? Was oil worth double six months ago?

Its funny, the "Bull/Bear" dynamic plays out over and over again. I watch a Real Estate website, and they go through *exactly* the same arguments as here. When prices go down, the Bears cry out "see, I was right, I'm smartest". When it goes up, the Bulls stand up and say "no, see *I* was right, I'm smartest". Which is right - NEITHER! Baring a complete breakdown, markets are cyclic. The problem is knowing where you are in the cycle - its always easy to find the top and bottom of a market looking backwards, but not so easy looking forwards.

Anyway, lets take discussions like this, and that political/union garbage, over to crymeariver.org. This is a Shelby site. This particular board is a GT500KR board (thought I'm sure that any real GT500KR owners or potential owners are long gone). Lets leave this to the car lovers, and let the car haters go let off steam somewhere else...

Chris.

LuisA - You seem and post like a gentlemen, so take this as I see it. You either have way too much money or as they say " a fool and his money are soon parted".

Well don't be shy, which one is it?

1) Your a multi mutli millionaire

2) Or your "a fool and blah blah blah......"

PS: Wheels are 18" Alcoa's I thought?

Neither. You need to understand that when it comes to matter of taste, toys, plesures, women & hobbies; common sense doesn't apply. I will either end up with a KR at the price I am willing to pay and the amount I want for trade on my vert or I will SS my vert. Working on the KR right now, if it doesn't work out, then I will SS.

I am in no rush, time is on my side......remember, I bout a GT500 in Nov 07 at MSRP and one in April 08 just below MSPR.

You don't mind if I wait, do you?

Neither. You need to understand that when it comes to matter of taste, toys, plesures, women & hobbies; common sense doesn't apply.

:D And another sensible comment - glad to see there are still some real KR fans here...

I know its a moving target, but out of interest Luis, what is the price you are aiming for? I look at the other HiPo Fords that are being offered at ~=$17k off MSRP (that S302E I was watching just dropped to $88k, MSRP = $103k). Now those prices depend on the cars being based on regular Mustangs, not GT500s - but after the news that Ford Canada started rebates on GT500s, it is certainly not inconceivable that they will do the same in the US. So, I look at that, and consider the GT500KR at MSRP-$17k - i.e. $65k. Now that sounds more palatable. It may be tough, but that is my buy-in point. If the GT500 pricing really does follow the other HiPos, its not inconceivable... GT500s are already going at below invoice...

Cheers,

Chris.

:D And another sensible comment - glad to see there are still some real KR fans here...

I know its a moving target, but out of interest Luis, what is the price you are aiming for? I look at the other HiPo Fords that are being offered at ~=$17k off MSRP (that S302E I was watching just dropped to $88k, MSRP = $103k). Now those prices depend on the cars being based on regular Mustangs, not GT500s - but after the news that Ford Canada started rebates on GT500s, it is certainly not inconceivable that they will do the same in the US. So, I look at that, and consider the GT500KR at MSRP-$17k - i.e. $65k. Now that sounds more palatable. It may be tough, but that is my buy-in point. If the GT500 pricing really does follow the other HiPos, its not inconceivable... GT500s are already going at below invoice...

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,

Today I will be willing to pay MSRP for a KR and require a sensible trade in on my vert with only 700 miles (MSRP on it was just over $53,500.00). I will wait a while longer and if I cannot put it together I will SS my vert. Deling and waiting adn talking to folks is part of the fun for me.

I also saw teh ZR1 at the Miami Beach car show and I am talking to them as well, but, at the end, I will have only one toy car.

Today I will be willing to pay MSRP for a KR and require a sensible trade in on my vert with only 700 miles (MSRP on it was just over $53,500.00).

I thought there were plenty of MSRP deals on KRs to be had? Or is it the trade-in that is the problem?

Chris.

I could not understand the logic behind a $82,313.00 MSRP Mustang either, then I drove one.(over 100 miles through twisting foothill roads and full throttle straits)

The KR is unique. For one, it makes way more than the 540HP claimed. The suspension and steering are not bolt on aftermarket. They are well thought out and engineered too a very high standard. The owner of the KR also has a GT500 and he is just as amazed as I am with the performance.

I have driven several Super Snakes. While they are incredible and have there own merits, the KR is a totally different vehicle. An analogy that comes to mind is the difference between an AMG MB and Z06.

The hp can be achieved with a regular GT500 Only difference a KR engine has hp wise is from an added Ford racing cold air and tune which can be bought for 700 dollars.(at any ford racing counter)

The one sold over the counter is the exact tune and cold air.(nothing and I mean nothing is different in the engine or trans beside that)

Suspension buy the ford racing suspension and you now have a car with a better suspension then the KR(cost 1500 bucks.)

Another thing that makes a KR feel stronger is the gears 3.31 Gt500 -KR 3.73"s

3.73 gears 200 bucks.

The KR exhaust does sound awesome. But in fact a H design exhaust which the KR has will make less HP then a x pipe exhaust(which the standard GT500 has)

The KR exhaust(H pipe) was designed with only sound in mind not HP(x over H in one of these cars is worth about 5hp)

The reason why a KR feels better then a SS driving is the tires. The SS has 20's which kills ride quality and performance (the 20's are all about look) put a set of stock rubber on a SS from a gt500 or a KR and the car would feel totally different.

The KR is a great car don't get me wrong .I do appreciate them and been on the fence many times ready to buy one(but I can not justify 40k plus, plus my Gt500) The price they are asking is all about the car being rare(and the name)A collecatble.....(maybe). Thats what you are paying for.

Is is not because of the parts(IMO)

The hp can be achieved with a regular GT500 Only difference a KR engine has hp wise is from an added Ford racing cold air and tune which can be bought for 700 dollars.(at any ford racing counter)

The one sold over the counter is the exact tune and cold air.(nothing and I mean nothing is different in the engine or trans beside that)

Suspension buy the ford racing suspension and you now have a car with a better suspension then the KR(cost 1500 bucks.)

Another thing that makes a KR feel stronger is the gears 3.31 Gt500 -KR 3.73"s

3.73 gears 200 bucks.

The KR exhaust does sound awesome. But in fact a H design exhaust which the KR has will make less HP then a x pipe exhaust(which the standard GT500 has)

The KR exhaust(H pipe) was designed with only sound in mind not HP(x over H in one of these cars is worth about 5hp)

The reason why a KR feels better then a SS driving is the tires. The SS has 20's which kills ride quality and performance (the 20's are all about look) put a set of stock rubber on a SS from a gt500 or a KR and the car would feel totally different.

The KR is a great car don't get me wrong .I do appreciate them and been on the fence many times ready to buy one(but I can not justify 40k plus, plus my Gt500) The price they are asking is all about the car being rare(and the name)A collecatble.....(maybe). Thats what you are paying for.

Is is not because of the parts(IMO)

Thank you. I will also say that the $15K I talked about in the parts of the KR was NOT even close to that amount, it is more like $4K wholesale the rest is gross profit. CS is not a marketing genious but Amy B is. So what your paying for has nothing to do with upgraded engine components, high end transmission mods it is just a tune (cold-air kit) with FRPP suspension and a nice hood and other design elements...bottom line.

Finally when MM said "yall have fun" do you really think he meant it? No he didn't. He is trying like h_ll to protect his way of life and I don't blame him but one thing he already knows but won't publically admit is, that cat is already out of the bag. The KR is nothing more than a marketing gimic with "mostly" FRPP parts and the CS name behind it. Shelby will have to do more if they want the following they had in past years and just adding over-the-counter parts won't cut it.

36k.

The owner of the dealership proposes that I take the car to the auction and sell it that way and then for me to give him the difference up to MSRP.

They haven't seen my car yet, so I am driving it there tomorrow, we'll see if Iam able to work a deal.

The SS REQUIRES 20" due to the size brakes it has. Stock GT500 brakes would melt under the power of 700+ HP. AND the stock rims wont fit over the upgraded brakes anyway.

If you are gonna drive it the speed limit to your local car hangout, or 1/4 drag it...yeah...dump the brakes and drop on your stock rims I guess.

Drive that car like you just robbed a bank, or catching your baby's kidnapper...you'll see my point.

The SS REQUIRES 20" due to the size brakes it has. Stock GT500 brakes would melt under the power of 700+ HP. AND the stock rims wont fit over the upgraded brakes anyway.

If you are gonna drive it the speed limit to your local car hangout, or 1/4 drag it...yeah...dump the brakes and drop on your stock rims I guess.

Drive that car like you just robbed a bank, or catching your baby's kidnapper...you'll see my point.

The brakes will clear GT500 rims.

Here it is directly from the shelby catalog.(page 12)

SHELBY EXTREMEPLUS BRAKE SYSTEM

For those of you that must have the very best

money can buy we also off er the EXTREME -

PLUS front brake system. This complete system

features the same extra large 14” cross drilled

and slotted 2 piece zinc plated rotors as the GT

– Plus, also includes a pair of huge PBR 6 piston

calipers housing Baer’s own Sport Touring Pads.

These low inertia aluminum monoblock calipers

deliver unparalleled performance through

a rigid one piece design – featuring precision

CNC machined bores that house 6 large stainless

steel pistons, coupled with specifi cally

designed seals to withstand the extreme high

temperatures usually witnessed in actual racing

applications. These are the ultimate in braking

performance, boldly powder coated with our

Shelby name proudly engraved on the side.

These will certainly let everyone know you take

Braking Performance very seriously. Fits all V8

cars and V6 cars that have the optional ABS.

Requires 18” or larger rims. Note: even with 18”

rim diameter, certain rim and spoke designs will

not clear these huge calipers. Fits our 20” Razors

and 20” Alcoas also 18” GT500. Caliper Fitment

templates are available online to download and

recommended. Please inquire. This kit is available in a variety of caliper

color combinations so you can get that custom look you want. Rear

Shelby Extreme-Plus 6-piston upgrade kits will be available soon. Please

call one of our sales associate for application and availability.

The KR with the same brakes as a standard GT500 with 18's does stop better then the SS with 20's and bigger brakes.

Stopping has nothing to do with HP it has more to do with the weight of the car, and weight of the tires/rims.

that's BS, I'm running 700+rwhp with stock brakes and 18" wheels, no problem. as for 20"s, very,very few run 20"s at a drag strip or track, most change back to a 18" wheel. the Shelby big brake set up will fit with stock 18"s.

What was the major differences between a 68 GT500 and a 68GT500 KR?? And what was the difference between the price of the two? I am wondering if it is any different with today's car's. Everything is cyclic as stated before. I like the new KR but for the price i think it is scary. But when people were buying the KR's back in the day did they think the same thing? Just trying to understand the market and see if anyone with some real answers can put the price of the new one in prespective. Take care guys.

Thank you. I will also say that the $15K I talked about in the parts of the KR was NOT even close to that amount, it is more like $4K wholesale the rest is gross profit. CS is not a marketing genious but Amy B is. So what your paying for has nothing to do with upgraded engine components, high end transmission mods it is just a tune (cold-air kit) with FRPP suspension and a nice hood and other design elements...bottom line.

Finally when MM said "yall have fun" do you really think he meant it? No he didn't. He is trying like h_ll to protect his way of life and I don't blame him but one thing he already knows but won't publically admit is, that cat is already out of the bag. The KR is nothing more than a marketing gimic with "mostly" FRPP parts and the CS name behind it. Shelby will have to do more if they want the following they had in past years and just adding over-the-counter parts won't cut it.

Swede, I really did mean what I said. What I think your missing is I only got ONE KR and I sold it for MSRP!! It was an early car (under 100). So I dont care what these cars bring. I moved the thread because you put it in the wrong place! I didnt delete or hide it. I put it where it was supposed to go.

I bought the second KR from another dealer. I sold it to a VERY nice fellow who had a trade and he got he wanted and I helped him get it.

The dealer I bought the KR from had bought it from another dealer thinking he was going to make a KILLING on the car, but by the time it got to his dealership the cars are bring MSRP or lower. He paid another dealer $117K for the KR. I bought the car WAY WAY back of this. He had gotten the first KR and sold it and made money, so when this KR came in he took a HUGE loss. I think he ended up breaking even or he came up with just alittle profit, but when he paid 117K for the car he was being greedy and it bitten him on the BUTT!

I dont know know the cost on the parts the SAI used for the KR, but 4Ks not close. The CF hood is 7K alone!

Can you build your own KR for less? HECK yea! Could I have built my SS for less? HECK yea! But I got EXACTLY what I wanted and I didnt mind paying some for the Shelby name and the Shelby number!

Again Yall have fun

MM

What was the major differences between a 68 GT500 and a 68GT500 KR?? And what was the difference between the price of the two? I am wondering if it is any different with today's car's. Everything is cyclic as stated before. I like the new KR but for the price i think it is scary. But when people were buying the KR's back in the day did they think the same thing? Just trying to understand the market and see if anyone with some real answers can put the price of the new one in prespective. Take care guys.

The change to KR over GT500 came with the introduction of the CobraJet motor. That and the ram air cleaner that attached to the hood are really the only differences. Regular 68 GT500's used the police interceptor motor. KR's usually bring much more money that non KR's.

Can you build your own KR for less? HECK yea! Could I have built my SS for less? HECK yea! But I got EXACTLY what I wanted and I didn't mind paying some for the Shelby name and the Shelby number!

Well said Michael. I agree 100%

Aside from a different motor and ancillaries (carbs, air cleaners, that sort of thing), and two letters, very little difference. The motors were the same displacement, and rated (although reports are that the Cobra Jet was under-rated) at the same horsepower. MSRP on the KR was $4473, and there were very few options (I think AC was about the only one, but I could be wrong there). I'm not sure on the MSRP of the '68 GT500, the '67 was $4195 (this info is from nadaguides.com). The change was mostly a marketing ploy. They also introduced a special-order colour scheme midway through the KR run, again, more marketing...

Number wise, there were in the order of 2000 '67 GT500s, 1500 '68 GT500's and 1500 68 KRs (counting coupe and convertible together).

You've got to remember that this time around, the boom'n'bust came a little earlier. The '69 GT500 didn't sell as well as they hoped, and by 1970, the GT500's were done in - all 1970 GT500's were '69s that were re-badged as 1970s. This time, they sold a *lot* more GT500's first off (I don't know the numbers, something like 15000 I think). So the KR is "limited" - but its only a relative thing. I did see someone do some calculation on "GT500s per capita" to account for the population increase, but I think you can take this whole analysis thing a bit too far! ;^> The bust part came before the KR's even hit the showroom floors.

As for present day pricing - if you look at the "book values" (which are certainly only a guide, but better than getting your information from Barett Jackson!), the KR does have a slight edge over the '68 GT500, but the '67 GT500 still fetches quite a bit more - considered the most desireable of GT500's.

I own a '68KR in special order yellow - its a fantastic car, and great fun. If Ford had made an '08 KR in yellow, I would definately have bought one. They didn't, so now I'm on the fence. Given the economy, I will probably hold off altogether - I bought my KR before the prices skyrocketed, maybe I will do the same thing with an '08 - let someone else eat the $30k depreciation they will see in the first year, and pick up one a few years old...

Chris.

Archived