TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Easy Brake Mod

Looks good. I was thinking about painting my calipers, but couldn't decide what color would look good on a white SGT. Do you have a pic of the car with the wheels on from a distance?

I have only done the right front and started on the right rear today...

When I finish (over the weekend) I will post some good profile shots

Are you sure you got the right rotor on the right side? Looks backwards to me from all of the other drilled and slotted rotors I've seen on other cars...just checking...that looks like the rotor that would go on the driver's side to me...

Looks like they were installed the correct way to me.

I always thought that the ends of the holes and slots that were further out from the center were supposed to point toward the front of the car...the vanes in the middle of the rotors should do the same so as to pull air into the center of the rotor while driving to help cool it...if they are reversed as his appear to be, they will not cool as well as they should and could cause brake failure. The holes and slots usually follow the vane path, so as I said, it appears that rotor should be on the driver side of the car, not on the right front passenger side...

I always thought that the ends of the holes and slots that were further out from the center were supposed to point toward the front of the car...the vanes in the middle of the rotors should do the same so as to pull air into the center of the rotor while driving to help cool it...if they are reversed as his appear to be, they will not cool as well as they should and could cause brake failure. The holes and slots usually follow the vane path, so as I said, it appears that rotor should be on the driver side of the car, not on the right front passenger side...

I've installed hundreds of drilled and slotted rotars from different manufacturers, and it seems that half want you to install so the outer slot contacts the shoe first and half want it the other way around. So I always installed them the way the manufacturer says in the instructions, in or out, it didn't seem to make any difference as far as wear and tear or noise, so I would do what ever the rotor manufacturer says. If they make noise or wear the snot out of your pads you can always turn them around later.

P.S. I prefer when the bottom of the slot contacts the pad first, seems to make more sense to me, however, on my SGT they said the other way and I did it and they work just fine. Remember, you have to have a little break-in time with new rotors, you may hear some noise or alot of brake dust at first but it will diminish after a while.

Rotors are direct replacement for stock (13" & 11.75"). Front and rear. Advertised as Baer (Decelerotor) from Blue Oval Industries (on Sale)...Box they came in had a Foose marking. Look good, nice finish, etc.

Paint is Duplicolor HiTemp Caliper paint...Red (obviously) Prep was mask and wipe caliper with mineral spirits. Sprayed the bulk of the unit and brushed to detail areas difficult to mask. To brush I sprayed paint into cap and used small hobby brush. Guess I could have removed the caliper but didn't wan the hassle of having to bleed the brakes. Red looks great with blue and silver car...probably looks good with both 07 colors. I thought this would be a nice upgrade, reasonably priced and no wheel issues. Thanks for compliments

I did a little research in regard to the direction of the slots...Consensus is that unless you have rotors with curved internal vanes there is no advantage to either direction. My rotors have straight cooling vanes (like OEM) so the directional rule would not apply. I looked at several brake sites and they all suggested the same.

Need to make sure the front and rear match to avoid further confusion. :-). Thanks for asking though...

Last comment...Since i only had one wheel done I looked at the slot pattern and decided to change the direction.

It looks better with leading end of slot forward in regard to rotation...At least I think so.

I'll post a result when im done

Thanks

Last comment...Since i only had one wheel done I looked at the slot pattern and decided to change the direction.

It looks better with leading end of slot forward in regard to rotation...At least I think so.

I'll post a result when im done

Thanks

So you changed away from manufacture recommendations?

Here's mine...

driversside003.jpg

Dan

So you changed away from manufacture recommendations?

Here's mine...

driversside003.jpg

Dan

Dan, yours look like they are pointed in the right direction...his were turned the other way...From all of the drilled and slotted rotors that I have ever seen, the orientation as yours are is correct...

I went with the Brembo Grand turismo's 14" rotor and 4 piston calipers, I still need to update the rear brakes . I think i will most likely go with a Baer rear upgrade, then take the calipers in for powdercoating.

shelbyemblem028.jpg

I love your car! Very well thought out and put together.

I love your car! Very well thought out and put together.

Thank you!! It is a pleasure to own and i consider myself lucky to be fortunate enough to be one of the few in the world that get to drive one. I carefully consider my mods and make sure to maintain a "What would Carroll do" mentality. Thanks for the compliment :happy feet:

Looking at the Roush site and saw this option for the 2009 Roush 427R Mustang.

Sport Brake Kit (slotted factory replacement front and rear rotors and red painted factory front and rear calipers) - $1,450

Hmmm... Rotors = $299, Paint = $6.25. Old Blue 08SGT1062 = Priceless

:happy feet:

Archived