TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motocraft 5w 50 oil

shel-b001

What is everyone paying for their oil . Just left a local Ford dealer & the same oil I bought last year 5w 50 at $8.70 a litre is now $23.70. The parts guy said that is crazy & said he could give it to me for $17.10 a litre. Has synthetic oil gone up that much?

What is everyone paying for their oil . Just left a local Ford dealer & the same oil I bought last year 5w 50 at $8.70 a litre is now $23.70. The parts guy said that is crazy & said he could give it to me for $17.10 a litre. Has synthetic oil gone up that much?

A few months ago my dealer was charging $14 / Q.

I just paid $10.71 a quart at my local Ford dealer. I can live with it.

I just paid $10.72 a quart + tax at my local dealer as well. They did not have any in stock but got it the next day. Don't know where they got them from but man were they dusty. One of the quarts had a black cap and it was an older spec A quart. Had them change that out so I was all spec B (gold caps).

Changing the oil for the winter storage. Sad day... :cry:

Hi Jim

I had my car serviced the other day and he used Castrol 5W50. Check out the price on that per litre, I am sure it is nowhere near that crazy price.

Pete

Oh I know I can get a different brand ,as another Ford dealer carried Havoline at $ 10.40 a litre, I just wanted to stay with Motocraft so there would be no problems ever in case of warranty. Next year I willbe using Royal Purple as I have used for several years in my 68`Shelby & 65G.t. I was just a little shocked that the o.e.m oil had increased in price so much in one year. Also not to many dealers stock it & have to order it in .

Oh I know I can get a different brand ,as another Ford dealer carried Havoline at $ 10.40 a litre, I just wanted to stay with Motocraft so there would be no problems ever in case of warranty. Next year I willbe using Royal Purple as I have used for several years in my 68`Shelby & 65G.t. I was just a little shocked that the o.e.m oil had increased in price so much in one year. Also not to many dealers stock it & have to order it in .

I understand where you are coming from Jim. I meant to post that it was actually the Ford dealer here in Sudbury who used Castrol Oil for the service, so I assume Castrol is acceptable for Warranty purposes.

Pete

I understand where you are coming from Jim. I meant to post that it was actually the Ford dealer here in Sudbury who used Castrol Oil for the service, so I assume Castrol is acceptable for Warranty purposes.

Pete

I would think so,You can`t go wrong with Castrol .

Now that`s more like it . Might have known Rob would have found a better price.

I buy my oil from K-manparts too but the shipping is almost $20.00 for 6 qts and a filter so it is not as large a savings at it looks. But I prefer the Motorcraft oil for this car.

I buy my oil from K-manparts too but the shipping is almost $20.00 for 6 qts and a filter so it is not as large a savings at it looks. But I prefer the Motorcraft oil for this car.

+1

I ordered from K-manparts last time and agree that with shipping there was not much price diference than the dealer. I was going to order again last week but they only had 2 quarts orderable.

A little Warning, double check that 5w-50 spec. The 4.6 and 5.4 have very tight clearances in these engines. Most likely there is some mis-communication on the oil spec. Ford specs the 5w-20 oil for these engines, considering they are used for a daily driver. i live in AZ and run the 5w-30 synthetic (summer temps here)and test the oil often. Unless you are running excessive oil/air temps and heavy loads I would not use a 5w-50 spec oil. I have some expierience dealing with the Ford warranty group. A customer of mine was using a 5w-50 oil in thier 5.4 and 4.6 work trucks. Had some crank bearing failures. No warranty because they did not use a spec oil in these new engines. As far as brands, if they meet the latest ILSAC/API spec, you cannot be denied warranty. Magneson Moss Act prevents this. As far as conventional to synthectic, break in conventional and either continue to use or switch to a synthetic. Switching to a synthetic down the road say in 30K + miles can cause issues with seals and other issues. Mobil 1 is also a good economic choice as are others if you watch the sales. Just sharing some expierience.

I'm a big believer in Mobil 1, having used it for many years. HOWEVER, 5w-50 is a "limited availability" item from them, and I can't find it anywhere. They apparently sell it in Europe, but don't even list it on their web site for the USA.

I know a lot of people like Castrol, but I've never used the stuff. I may have to give it a try...

I am gathering that i can use the Mobile 1 or Castrol 5/50 and not void the warranty now?

I use both in other vehicles I own. Castrol GTX in an older Ranger and Mobile one in a 98 Dodge Dakota 4x4.

Both worked great. 166000 miles on the same spark plugs even. Runs like a champ still.

If SVT says its ok to use those two oil brands I am inclined to do so.

A couple of our members called SVT (when we all found out how pricey Motorcraft spec oil was) anyway they were told that the Castrol 5-50 would be fine.

Did they have any comment as to why Motocraft syn oil cost is higher than other brands?

I've been using this stuff from Roush. First time I got it from a local speedshop it was $8.50/qt. When I went back to get more it was $9.50. Still cheaper than the $10.70/qt the dealer wanted.

http://www.roushoil.com/5w-50.html

Basically 5w 50 Vavoline produced for Roush & meets Ford Spec.`s probably a good oil.

$6.99 per quart here for Castrol full Synthetic. It meets Ford spec for our engine. Here is the info on Castrol 5w-50 full synthetic from the Castrol website:

SAE 5W–50:

provides the widest range of protection available. SAE 5W–50 delivers exceptional cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start–up and provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3; Ford WSS–M2C931–A and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF–4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils

$6.99 per quart here for Castrol full Synthetic. It meets Ford spec for our engine. Here is the info on Castrol 5w-50 full synthetic from the Castrol website:

SAE 5W–50:

provides the widest range of protection available. SAE 5W–50 delivers exceptional cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start–up and provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3; Ford WSS–M2C931–A and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF–4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils

Good Stuff Thanks for the info.

SAE 5W–50:

This oil does not meet the Ford "B" spec they require for the GT500 engines ( WSS-M2C931-B ). If you ever have a warranty issue, they could refuse it.

A couple years ago there were several Stangs Unleased members that did a lot of research on the differences between the Ford spec "A" and "B" oils and Gastrol. There were a number of pages of very detailed information.

Do any of our Moderators know if those early discussions were transferred to TS ?

The 5.4 in the GT500 and the Ford GT spec the 5W50 for warranty purposes, API SM spec or better.

And just FYI, Advance Auto regularly puts the Castrol 5W50 on sale for less that $5, sometimes throwing in a free Mobil 1/Pure One filter with 5 qts.

I hit their site partsamerica.com and then entered ONLINESAVE15 to save 15% of $6.99 plus got free shipping on an order over $75 (13 qts.). Easy.

Archived