TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Coupe or 'Vert?

ShelbyEra08

41 members have voted

1. 1. Vert or Coupe

• Vert
    • Coupe

I am really want to get a GT500...........I want a black one...i know it will be a full-time job just cleaning it.

Also I want to put Alcoa Wheels on and a KR Style Hood.........Also I want to put the KR Black stripes on, I just love the Black on Black

Here is the kicker, dont know if i want a Coupe or Vert.

The car would be mostly just for a nice warm day driver like the Spring or Summer.

I need ur opinion what yall like better?

I have both, coupe & vert, but unfortunately the Vert is for show only and never been registered therefore not driven (10.3 miles). I am getting a Vert this spring for a driver. They are just much more fun to drive and draw more attention.

My .02 cents worth!!

My last Mustang was a vert, this new one is a coupe. A vert is more about lifestyle. It helps to be a sun lover. For me I do not like direct sunlight and heat beating down on me. I did enjoy putting the top down in the evenings.

After awhile the additional noises from the top shifting while negotiating bumps and the added road noises got to me.

Good luck with your decision.

My GT 500 is my 4th Mustang (3 of them verts) and my 9th convertible since I turned 16. I've simply never been without one! I wouldn't have it any other way. This is far and above the quietest convertible I've ever been in. Yes, it is noisier than the coupe, but the view is fantastic! Go Topless!

You asked for opinions so heres mine:

It truely depends what you are going to do with it. These cars, as the Mustang always has been, are uni-body cars. Uni-body cars have no frame, which is a main factor of holding a vehicle together and straight. The roof is another large factor. When you have niether the car tends to flex alot, more again with lots of power. Have you ever seen a used Mustang vert that looked like it tracked crooked or leaned to one side? This is caused by to much power to the ground for the chasis. You can add bracing and supports but without a rollcage or something, yikes. That being said, if you plan on looking at it get the vert, if you plan on driving the hell out of it, like it was designed to be drivin, then you should choose the Coupe. Im sure either way, just like most of the rest of us you will mod your car. Keep this in mind while making your decision, then get out there and get you a SHELBY. Whichever decision you make, you will still be happy.

My fear with regard to owning a convertible has always been the threat of vandalism. I suppose it depends on where you live. A friend of mine owned a vert sports car. He came back to the curb where it was parked to discover someone had taken a pocket knife and slashed the rag top.

My fear with regard to owning a convertible has always been the threat of vandalism. I suppose it depends on where you live. A friend of mine owned a vert sports car. He came back to the curb where it was parked to discover someone had taken a pocket knife and slashed the rag top.

You asked for opinions so heres mine:

It truely depends what you are going to do with it. These cars, as the Mustang always has been, are uni-body cars. Uni-body cars have no frame, which is a main factor of holding a vehicle together and straight. The roof is another large factor. When you have niether the car tends to flex alot, more again with lots of power. Have you ever seen a used Mustang vert that looked like it tracked crooked or leaned to one side? This is caused by to much power to the ground for the chasis. You can add bracing and supports but without a rollcage or something, yikes. That being said, if you plan on looking at it get the vert, if you plan on driving the hell out of it, like it was designed to be drivin, then you should choose the Coupe. Im sure either way, just like most of the rest of us you will mod your car. Keep this in mind while making your decision, then get out there and get you a SHELBY. Whichever decision you make, you will still be happy.

+1000. I have owned many Mustangs over the years, coupe and vert alike. My vote is for the coupe.

From an engineering stand point of view, the coupe will always handle much better than the vert.

As 07SGT4578 said, one looses alot of structural integrity when the hard top is traded for a vert.

Another point is wear, one vert after about 10 years has to get the top replaced. About $3000-3500

to refresh the top. Could have purchased many partsfor that cash. Also I had a vert broken into, by way

of the soft top. Cut right through it with a steak knife. Vert are fun, but I prefer a quiet cabin as well.

Black is the most fast. , so thats a good choice!!

ItalianStallion

I owned a 96 Z-28 vert and it was nice to have on occasion. The rest of the time is was a total PITA. Major downfalls are easy to break in to, you will have to replace it eventually, at high speeds the top sucked up and allowed air to start seeping around the seals (speeds over 100), it would puff up while driving and leaks.

If I were going to get a DD or something that would be driven often it would be a coupe. If I were going to get a 3rd vehicle taken out on sunny days for a general cruise, I would look at vert's.

I would also choose nearly any other color except black.

Here's another problem with the vert tops http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ite+marks\

I Also would tend to agree with stumpbreaker on the color thing. Black Is an obnoxious color. Very nice clean looking, but rarely clean. This is my first black car and I wish I would have gone w/ just about any other color. OH WELL.

Thanks so far for ur opinion.

I wouldnt drive the Hell out of it. :peelout:

It would just be for a sunday driver or just a friday night cruise. :shift:

The only "performance" mod i would do is probably just put a new exhaust system on, if i thought it was to quiet, haha.

I still appreciate if more people would still comment, i am not going to get it now, i was hoping April or May.

I know Black is a full-time work.

My color Choices:

1st: Black

2nd: Vista Blue

3rd: Grabber Orange

This is my 4th Mustang, have had 3 convertibles. I do love top down driving, BUT, when I bought this 500 you have to take into account the structural issues, others here have explained that better than I could. This is not even remotely a GT in handling and feel. The horsepower, weight and drivetrain in this car does have a noticeable effect on this chassis, if you can live with that and go into it with eyes open, then go convertible, it's your 50k, what works for you. As far as color, I love black, granted, you have to keep it clean, but for the five minutes it is clean NOTHING looks better. Just my 2 cents.

:talkhand:

post-22339-1226339364_thumb.jpg

post-22339-1226339364_thumb.jpg

Here's another problem with the vert tops http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ite+marks\

I Also would tend to agree with stumpbreaker on the color thing. Black Is an obnoxious color. Very nice clean looking, but rarely clean. This is my first black car and I wish I would have gone w/ just about any other color. OH WELL.

I have a vert (with by the way the fastest color) and I love mine. I also have not had the top problem mentioned above. I don't drive the car everyday but the top is down 90 percent of the time when I do drive it.

I have a vert (with by the way the fastest color) and I love mine. I also have not had the top problem mentioned above. I don't drive the car everyday but the top is down 90 percent of the time when I do drive it.

That's good. I was just pointing out a semi common problem I've read about. I've never had a vert. The sun from my Sunroof on my other car bothers me. You could always do this.

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/shop/...etail&p=116

more light and the car is still structurally tight. Hey, I'm a poet and didn't even know it.

One of the reason I wouldnt mind have a Vert is because I hate air-condition..i know it sounds odd but i like the breeze

the Ford Explorer I drive sometimes, have a sunroof and when its nice, I have that open plus the 4 door windows down.

But still unsure about the Coupe or Vert decision, its a hard one

Lots of good discussion thus far on the topic. The main thing is how you plan to drive it. I have an 09 black w/red stripe option vert and I just love it. Cruising with the top down, nothing beats it. I don't have any of the issues (so far) with the top that have been discussed. The top is excellent quality and pretty darned quiet. I remember reading somewhere the weight penalty for the GT500 vert as opposed to the coupe is not that great as compared to other cars, maybe 100 pounds or so....apparently SVT did a great job of designing the vert to maximize structural rigidity as much as possible while not adding 250 pounds of metal.

One thing about your comment about a/c, when my wife is hot/cold with the top down, I just crank up the air conditioner/heater....that way she's comfortable and we still cruise with the top down.

If you want to get a 725 horsepower super snake some day or even add some major suspension/handling mods, the coupe obviously is the only option. But for what I do with my car, I am exceedingly happy with the vert. The only thing I don't like is the lack of over-the-top stripes (I believe Shelbys need stripes) but the red stripe option fixed that one plus is a rare option to boot.

My .02

... The only thing I don't like is the lack of over-the-top stripes (I believe Shelbys need stripes) but the red stripe option fixed that one plus is a rare option to boot.

My .02

Nice car sfm6s1675. That is why I went for the 08 SGT convertible. I could not find a GT 500 convertible with over the top stripes and at the time the ADMs were still holding on the GT 500s. I like Shelby's with "over the top" stripes, even convertibles.

I used to have a black car and said I would never own another but when I see the black, red-stripe, GT-500 convertibles, I would put up with the hassle of the black paint just because they look so nice! The white ones are nice too but the black just has looks to kill.

I bet these cars will be highly sought after in years to come.

Gee, what's a guy to do? Get BOTH! See my sig below...

Prices are pretty good right now. If I had to choose just one, I'd have to go with the coupe. My wife prefers the 'vert. I find that the coupe has the retro lines that bring back memories of my '65.

They're both a blast to drive, and you won't regret either one...

Based on your intentions, I vote vert and +1 on the red stripe black one. I have had my '93 vert since new,and not regreted the decision one bit. The only issue i have is the trunk space. Not as much an issue with the newer style and ocasional driven.

Hi thereI have a vistablue coupe and go to car shows and crusie.I regret not getting a vert. If you look at the 40th vistablue vert it is awesome and I think that would help you make up your mind. The guy is from Texas and has pictures of the 40th. If I would do over I would do the vert.Don't get me wrong I enjoy mind can not go wrong with either one but like the saying says When the top goes down the price goes up!!!!

Archived