TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock GT500 dynoed..

mrsuds

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is old these days?

I'm 40, and I still drive like I'm 16. My kids may call me old, but I still have a full head of hair, can run faster than they can, and I have great reflexes at the dragstrip posting pretty good reaction times off the lights.

While I'm happy about your hairs, and your endurance (!), what's that got to do with driving?

Kidding. (I have a bald spot that I can't see in the mirror - so as far as I'm concerned - I haven't got one!)

I may be as quick ( or maybe more seasoned) as far as driving/shifting off the line - but I'm a lot more tame when it comes to hanging it out in the twisties than I was in my 20's.

When I sit back and remember some of the things I (we) did back then - I'm amazed I ever made it through. :shift:

"I'm not as good as I once was - but I'm as good as any man - once!" bb king

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ May 18 2006, 08:12 PM) 13304[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I'm 40, and I still drive like I'm 16. My kids may call me old, but I still have a full head of hair, can run faster than they can, and I have great reflexes at the dragstrip posting pretty good reaction times off the lights.

And the knowledge and ability to know how and when to use the abilities....Sweet jeez in gonna be 40 next year...

When I sit back and remember some of the things I (we) did back then - I'm amazed I ever made it through.

Some of us did not live our youth so much as survive it.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ May 19 2006, 04:12 AM) 13304[/snapback]

Me too, I am 42, have all my hair and survived 12 years of motorcycle driving from 18 until 30. Broke a lot and had some serious injuries but I didn't stop me from driving and racing hard. On the race track that is. :shift:

All this talk of getting old.....bah! Each and every grey hair has a story behind it.

Haven't you all ever heard "Old age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"?

I'm 40 and cut a better light now than when I was 20! Twenty years make for a lot of practice.

-Devious "Tripping the lights fantastic"

Damn... you guys are depressing me! -- I'm 58 so I lived through most of the great HP unfolding as a driver (and reading Hot Rod mag to follow all the legendary battles before I could drive). I remember when Konnie Kalitta ran a 429 Ford hemi in his fueler, seeing the legendary Ford 427 SOHC (really!) rail in action in the 60s when Garlitts and Prudhome were in their late teens/20s... what a great time to be alive!!!

Watch out for those late 40s and 50s sneaking up, my friends.... that's when the realities of aging start setting in. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still feel great and have hair :-) but not sure I can catch the 'kids' (who are in their 30s!) in touch football anymore -- guess I'm not first choice when choosing sides anymore -- but my reflexes are still sharp as ever and, of course I'm smarter now than I've even been (or at least wiser?) -- but I'd still like to be able to run down my son-in-law in the endzone once in a while <sigh>

so, HELL YES! I plan to drive this puppy a lot! ;-)

Archived