TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby v Vette?

RUFDRAFT

We've all read the magazine articles comparing the C6 & the Shelby. (like them or not)

We'll, here's something to consider.

Some of you are considering a Shelby at $55-60k or even more.

Guess what $40k will buy you?

http://www.kerbeck.com/

How much do you think a $55k Shelby will be worth in 3 years?

How much will a $40k C6 be worth in 3 years?

Comments?

(I'm suited up)

($55k represents a $10k ADM on a coupe - $60k represents a $10k ADM on a vert)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ruff: My comments are for the styling aspects of the car. I just think the Shelby looks better. Plain and simple, pure muscle car. If your a Chevy person, then have at it. The Corvette just does'nt do it for me. Like you said, you gotta be happy with whats in your garage, and the Vette does not do it. My 1st Gt was a 1994, and ever since then, you could not get me to switch.

No - no - I'm not asking about styling.

I'm trying to determine "bang for the buck" value here.

I'm not against buying a Chevy or Dodge - I'm looking at Value - regardless of brand.

Let's say you pay $55k for an '07 Shelby. Three years from now - you want to trade and buy a Challenger. How much of that $55k do you think you'll recover? Then - how much of your $40k would you recover on the C6?

Work with me here!

No - no - I'm not asking about styling.

I'm trying to determine "bang for the buck" value here.

I'm not against buying a Chevy or Dodge - I'm looking at Value - regardless of brand.

Let's say you pay $55k for an '07 Shelby. Three years from now - you want to trade and buy a Challenger. How much of that $55k do you think you'll recover? Then - how much of your $40k would you recover on the C6?

Work with me here!

OK, OK,... :rant: The Vett deal you show (one of a kind, there always gone when you get there - baite car) is a better deal. It is less money. I do not believe ADM's are recoverable on a trade. They are a loss. In 3 years I think the 55K will diminish down to 30K for a loss of 25K. The 40K vette would demand about 27K.

How that for "Workin With Ya"

Vette = "Piece of crap girly car" :hysterical: I like that. The Mustang rules.

Hey Rob, I think I read that you have one on order (GT500). I paid the ADM over two months ago (August 8) I drove my GT500 today and love that car more than the first day I saw or drove it. The car is simply awesome! You will not regret your decision. Who cares if the price drops, when the car is in your garage and you have no intension of ever selling. To all the people sitting on the fence, do what you have to do, I'll be driving on nice days and enjoying every minute of owning the GT500. I have yet to here one person that paid the ADM say "Shoot maybe I should have waited".

There is two things that will happen for sure. First, someone is always going to get a better deal than the other guy. Second, with the 07 GT500 we will here people say "shoulda, woulda, coulda, didn't, sh-t" when I had the chance.

Y'all are playing fair.

Answer the question!

Do you think an ADM affects trade-in value?

I'm just having some fun here. I just bought a Mustang in case you forgot. :rant:

IF you are planning to sell the car or to trade it in, then, yes, i do believe that you will likely lose much of your ADM. How much you lose depends on the then current market value for your car, and I personally think we won't see the ADM's disappear anytime soon. They likely won't stay at $10K to $15K over MSRP like they have been for some time (the market is NOT softening yet IMHO - check the ebay completed auctions), but I think they will stay over MSRP throughout the '07 model year - and maybe beyond.

Ruf: Don't worry, your VW Bug won't lose value as quickly. :hysterical:

I have yet to here one person that paid the ADM say "Shoot maybe I should have waited".

An excellent point. I don't EVER plan to sell my GT500 so I won't "lose" a dime! :shift:

OK... MAYBE I'M TOTALLY OFF LINE WITH THIS BUT.... DOES ANYONE THINK THAT POSSIBLY 20 TO 40 YRS FROM NOW THAT THE 2007 GT500 WILL BE WORTH MORE THAN ANY OTHER NEWER VERSION DUE SOLEY TO THE FACT THAT SVT AND SHELBY WENT TO BED ON THE DESIGN AND MANUFACTORING OFF THIS CAR?

REGUARDLESS OF HOW MUCH ENVOLVED THE TWO WAS OR WAS NOT IS NOT THE DEBATE, THEY BOTH WERE TO SOME POINT.... RIGHT?

THIS TRAIN OF THOUGHT WOULD BE WHY I BELIEVE THAT A 2007 GT500 WOULD PAY MUCH BETTER DIVIDENDS V/S THE CORVETTE. PLEASE DONT TELL ME THAT THE CHECK I WROTE FOR $69,995.00 WILL NOT HELP MY CHILDREN IN 20 TO 40 YRS. I SURE KNOW THAT THAT 40,000.00 VETTE WON'T.

AND DONT THEY MAKE LIKE 30,000 OF THOSE DAMN THINGS A YEAR?

OK... MAYBE I'M TOTALLY OFF LINE WITH THIS BUT.... DOES ANYONE THINK THAT POSSIBLY 20 TO 40 YRS FROM NOW THAT THE 2007 GT500 WILL BE WORTH MORE THAN ANY OTHER NEWER VERSION DUE SOLEY TO THE FACT THAT SVT AND SHELBY WENT TO BED ON THE DESIGN AND MANUFACTORING OFF THIS CAR?

REGUARDLESS OF HOW MUCH ENVOLVED THE TWO WAS OR WAS NOT IS NOT THE DEBATE, THEY BOTH WERE TO SOME POINT.... RIGHT?

THIS TRAIN OF THOUGHT WOULD BE WHY I BELIEVE THAT A 2007 GT500 WOULD PAY MUCH BETTER DIVIDENDS V/S THE CORVETTE. PLEASE DONT TELL ME THAT THE CHECK I WROTE FOR $69,995.00 WILL NOT HELP MY CHILDREN IN 20 TO 40 YRS. I SURE KNOW THAT THAT 40,000.00 VETTE WON'T.

That $69,995.00 you paid would make more money sitting in the bank for 20-40 years collecting interest than to assume your going to make money on this car.

If Carroll died tomorrow the prices would certainly Skyrocket like Google stock did, but that's not why I bought the car :shift:

Hey Rob, I think I read that you have one on order (GT500). I paid the ADM over two months ago (August 8) I drove my GT500 today and love that car more than the first day I saw or drove it. The car is simply awesome! You will not regret your decision. Who cares if the price drops, when the car is in your garage and you have no intension of ever selling. To all the people sitting on the fence, do what you have to do, I'll be driving on nice days and enjoying every minute of owning the GT500. I have yet to here one person that paid the ADM say "Shoot maybe I should have waited".

There is two things that will happen for sure. First, someone is always going to get a better deal than the other guy. Second, with the 07 GT500 we will here people say "shoulda, woulda, coulda, didn't, sh-t" when I had the chance.

blayne9067: I am glad I got off the fence and did it. No regrets, just can't waite. I used to restore 73 - 79 F250's. Loved the look and feel of those trucks. The Stang is the same way. I will keep it, and some day, one of my boys will get it.

Class...Class...Class.... shaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuppppppppppppp. No yelling in Ruffs classroom.

Y'all are playing fair.

Answer the question!

Do you think an ADM affects trade-in value?

I'm just having some fun here. I just bought a Mustang in case you forgot. :rant:

I think ADM affects trade-in value in the short term (I;ve heard Kelley Blue Book shows GT500 over MSRP right now) but, ultimately, won't affect value.

But x06 'vettes had ADMs when they first launched too, so the comparison is apples & oranges, IMO.

For example, when the Vette came out with $15K ADMs you could say: What's a better deal, a $26K Mustang GT or a $55K C06? I'll take 2 Mustang GTs any day!!! <lol>

Besides I don't own any gold shirts :hysterical2:

and there's always the other reason:

'vettes suck! :hysterical:

[geez, just when ya thought EC was gone! :doh: <just kiddin', Bryan ;-)]

<edit:> Btw, the 40K vette price is BS -- it's a come-on price you'll never see "out-the-door" for a new one. Not that that would affect how I feel... I wouldn't want a plastic fantastic piece of :censored: for $25K! I want a roof that stays on... and that's final, ya hear ?! :hysterical:

That $69,995.00 you paid would make more money sitting in the bank for 20-40 years collecting interest than to assume your going to make money on this car.

If Carroll died tomorrow the prices would certainly Skyrocket like Google stock did, but that's not why I bought the car :shift:

I WONDER IF THE GUY'S IN 68' AND 69' SAID THE SAME THING? THERE DOESNT NEED TO BE HUGE CHANGES ABOUT THIS CAR TO MAKE IT WORTH MORE IN LATER YRS, JUST THAT THERE IS A LITTLE SOMETHING DIFFERENT RIGHT?

AND FOR THE RECORD, I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR OTHER REASONS THAN JUST INVESTMENT REASONS, 1. BECAUSE ITS ''FRICKEN AWESOME'', AND 2. ITS UNIQUE DO TO THE PEOPLE INVOLVED THAT WILL NEVER BE INVOLVED AGAIN.

In 40 years the 2007 Shelby GT 500 will sell for about 10 times what it cost new. So start counting your half mil now. And before anyone challenges that fact consider this.

Most mid 60s cars sold for 3-4 K

Those same cars sell for about 10 times that (Some more, some less) but that's an average.

If, in forty years, I am substantially wrong, I will personally write you each a check for the difference. Now what could be fairer than that ? :stirpot:

Actually, it's been rather quiet around here recently.

I don't like quiet.

I could have bought a C6 instead of the GT.

The prices of the two got me thinking - that's all.

To those who have no respect for the Vette - tread carefully. They're a very formidable opponent - in the right hands. :shift:

And give Chevy some respect. They've been making them since '53. You can't ignore their historical significance - and remarkable achievements. Ask Greenwood, et al.

Edit: stay on topic! I didn't ask for a 40 year forecast!

I WONDER IF THE GUY'S IN 68' AND 69' SAID THE SAME THING? THERE DOESNT NEED TO BE HUGE CHANGES ABOUT THIS CAR TO MAKE IT WORTH MORE IN LATER YRS, JUST THAT THERE IS A LITTLE SOMETHING DIFFERENT RIGHT?

AND FOR THE RECORD, I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR OTHER REASONS THAN JUST INVESTMENT REASONS, 1. BECAUSE ITS ''FRICKEN AWESOME'', AND 2. ITS UNIQUE DO TO THE PEOPLE INVOLVED THAT WILL NEVER BE INVOLVED AGAIN.

+1 :rockon:

You can only lose(or gain) value if you sell.......... I will never sell, therefore I would never lose value. I also think that at least 50% of us that buy these cars will do the same thing. Sooooo for those of you that think that the supply will be high after the 2007 production year think again. At least 15% of the dealers that I talked to claim that they are keeping their 1st car for themselves. For the majority of us that paid ADMs probably wouldn't take a dime less than what we paid, reguardless if it is a used car. This is not a typical supply-demand curve.

I am sure that 80% of the 2007s have someones name on it and is spoken for. I predict that if 7,000 cars are produced, in two years there will be less than half will actually be available(on the market) to the ones that held out, making it even harder to get your hands on(with your options that you want for stripes, color, radio, etc..). Supply will be very low, demand will still be high, price will remain high.

I know that 2008s are scheduled but if you don't have your name on one or a VIN, I wouldn't count on it untill it is in writing or announced by Ford. You never know, Ford might pull the plug on them after this year. It is unlikly but possible. 2007 production numbers are unknown too.......

OK, I am zipping up the fire resistant suit now, wait until I get the facemask and gloves on before the flamming begins..

.....I could have bought a C6 instead of the GT......

...And give Chevy some respect. They've been making them since '53. You can't ignore their historical significance - and remarkable achievements. Ask Greenwood, et al.....

what you talkin' about, Willis!?

sure i can ingore their achievements.

:hysterical:

You can only lose(or gain) value if you sell.......... I will never sell, therefore I would never lose value. I also think that at least 50% of us that buy these cars will do the same thing. Sooooo for those of you that think that the supply will be high after the 2007 production year think again. At least 15% of the dealers that I talked to claim that they are keeping their 1st car for themselves. For the majority of us that paid ADMs probably wouldn't take a dime less than what we paid, reguardless if it is a used car. This is not a typical supply-demand curve.

I am sure that 80% of the 2007s have someones name on it and is spoken for. I predict that if 7,000 cars are produced, in two years there will be less than half will actually be available(on the market) to the ones that held out, making it even harder to get your hands on(with your options that you want for stripes, color, radio, etc..). Supply will be very low, demand will still be high, price will remain high.

I know that 2008s are scheduled but if you don't have your name on one or a VIN, I wouldn't count on it untill it is in writing or announced by Ford. You never know, Ford might pull the plug on them after this year. It is unlikly but possible. 2007 production numbers are unknown too.......

OK, I am zipping up the fire resistant suit now, wait until I get the facemask and gloves on before the flamming begins..

Weed: I agree with you. :rockon: There are alot of guys on the fence waiting for the ADM's to dive, and they might not get a car anytime soon and have to settle for the Vette. I think you are right about 80% or so of the 2007's already having been spoken for. For me I felt no security having my name on a list of could be's. I wanted a dealer to commit a car to me and I agreed in turn to commit a large down payment to him with a ADM to secure my purchase, and ordering rights. Having paid a ADM is not a big deal, because I am keeping the car for my life, and will not ever see the loss.

Weed: Got any stock market tips? :hysterical:

(based on all your %'s - which are based soley on your instincts)

I am suprised, however, by all the lack of love for "America's Sports Car" here.

The Vette has never been a competitor to the Mustang - apparently until now.

I'm aware of the profiling of Vette owners - but that aside - you have to agree the Vette is - and has almost always been - an American Hot Rod Icon! (save for the '80s....)

Are you with me, men?...Men?...

Z06?....

Weed: Got any stock market tips? :hysterical:

(based on all your %'s - which are based soley on your instincts)

I am suprised, however, by all the lack of love for "America's Sports Car" here.

The Vette has never been a competitor to the Mustang - apparently until now.

I'm aware of the profiling of Vette owners - but that aside - you have to agree the Vette is - and has almost always been - an American Hot Rod Icon! (save for the '80s....)

Are you with me, men?...Men?...

Z06?....

:violin: Vettes are ugly and fragile! <IMO ;-)> :stirpot: :tease:

Archived