TEAM SHELBY FORUM

clutch replaced

I finally was blessed with the new clutch/flywheel/snchros 'fix' for my GT500 after waiting 3+ months for the parts, sadly meaning it has been parked that long! Anyway, its amazing how much better the car feels now. It is noticably better than new. The slipping started at about 1 yr and 7000 easy miles, but till then seemed good. But I always wondered about the weird 'hissing' noise when releasing the clutch and how high on the pedal it engaged. Now the hiss is gone, the pedal is much more solid and the car just 'jumps', it feels and shifts more solid. I have always loved the power and how it drives, but now I realize it is even better! Its like the original clutch arrangement truly was holding back some potential. Defective/limiting from the start?!?!

Has anyone else had a similiar observation? I am SO glad the clutch went and has now been replaced/upgraded and was not a post-SS issue. I am a Sept 07 deposit and am expecting the call any hour now.........

By the way, although not as local as I would like, I was very happy with Nelson at Galpin Ford Service in North Hills. He had my car picked up and flat-bedded there, etc. It all felt good. Thanx for the tip Enis.

My car has been SS'd from brand new. With just 1100 miles, the clutch just starting acting up!! If not coincidental, it just started making noise when I pulled the car out of the trailer AT THE DEALERSHIP where I bought the car from!! I was on my way to Ford's @ Englishtown and wanted to show the guys at the dealership the Super Snake since they never saw the car new. Anyway, the Sales Mgr. told me to bring the car back Monday morning for the service department to check it out. I had a copy of the clutch drag TSB with me so I chatted with the Service Mgr. awhile and then he took my VIN to order all the parts per the bulletin. Didn't even pull the car out of the trailer! Now the wait for the parts. BTW, are certain parts in the kit(s) on short supply that you have to wait so long? 3 months?????????? Any specific info. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

My unplanned 3+ month wait was for the synchros. The service guy said those were the hard part to come by and there were other GT500 owners ahead of me. I finally couldn't wait any longer and asked to just replace the clutch and worry about the rest later. Of course, once in the shop, all the parts magically became available.

I have a 2008 GT 500, and since day one, the car "shudders" out of first only. Is anyone , or has anyone experienced the same shuddering. That's the only word I can think of to describe. I always feel that I have to throttle excessively out of first.

Anyone out there with the same???

Thanks

I have a 2008 GT 500, and since day one, the car "shudders" out of first only. Is anyone , or has anyone experienced the same shuddering. That's the only word I can think of to describe. I always feel that I have to throttle excessively out of first.

Thanks

Mine is like that too.

Thanks

Yep. I have an 07 and 08 and both have some issues in first. The 07 does it worse but not on every start. Sometimes it'll shudder so bad I swear I hear the whole drivetrain jump all the way back to the rear. The problem is that it is sporadic. I know our tranny tail shafts have the VIN stamped on them and some guys have had the tranny swapped out. I would only consent to a fix that lets me keep that stamped tailshaft.

I had abit of shudder from the original clutch as well. The new flywheel/clutch/synchros 'fix' seems to have changed everything. No hiss, no shudder, good feel to the pedal, and the car just feels and shifts better than new. And all covered by warranty. Happy days are here...............

Now Im worried. I have 428 miles on my now SS, and have always had a hiss-ing noise from the clutch. No problem exept the hiss noise. It is an 07, should I be worried and have the dealer look at it before the 1 year 605hp warrenty runs out?

I think it's correct to say that eventually you will have the clutch drag problem! More miles with stop/go driving and especially with much spirited driving will cause the symptoms associated with the TSB. Sorry for the bad news.

Now Im worried. I have 428 miles on my now SS, and have always had a hiss-ing noise from the clutch. No problem exept the hiss noise. It is an 07, should I be worried and have the dealer look at it before the 1 year 605hp warrenty runs out?
The Hiss that you hear when letting out the clutch in 1st and reverse is normal.

The very faint hiss that you can hear for 2-3 seconds after you push your clutch pedal in, when you car is in nuetral at idle when not in any gear is proving that your clutch is dragging.

TEST:

Start the car.

Leave it in nuetral.

Push the clutch pedal in all the way to the floor and listen carefully.

When the clutch pedal is all the way in to the floor does the hiss sound start for 2-3 seconds and then fade away to nothing ??? If so.......you have a problem.

Here's some more testing info:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=522571

• 4 weeks later...

My 2008 Shelby GT500 has had clutch issues, so I thought, since I received it last Nov, 07. It has all of 350 miles on it, but, I am now hearing a hissing when I bring the clutch pedal back. Parking in my garage it's really noticeable. When I pull up further in the garage, I can hear the hiss as I am releasing the pedal.

I have also have this "shudder"out of first, from a dead stop, mostly on an incline. The easy answer would be give it more gas, but that shouldn't be. Sometimes she'll even die going uphill, even a small grade, from a dead stop.

Took the car to Ford today....Russell there said it's "normal". I think that I am experiencing the same symptoms that many of you have had before you finally had to replace the clutch/flywheel.

Any suggestions?

My 2008 Shelby GT500 has had clutch issues, so I thought, since I received it last Nov, 07. It has all of 350 miles on it, but, I am now hearing a hissing when I bring the clutch pedal back. Parking in my garage it's really noticeable. When I pull up further in the garage, I can hear the hiss as I am releasing the pedal.

I have also have this "shudder"out of first, from a dead stop, mostly on an incline. The easy answer would be give it more gas, but that shouldn't be. Sometimes she'll even die going uphill, even a small grade, from a dead stop.

Took the car to Ford today....Russell there said it's "normal". I think that I am experiencing the same symptoms that many of you have had before you finally had to replace the clutch/flywheel.

Any suggestions?

Read Grabbers post again. The hiss when letting out the clutch is normal and is more noticeable in the garage or any enclosed space.

You'll have to learn to blip the throttle before letting out the clutch on any incline and at most dead stops on flat ground.

Read Grabbers post again. The hiss when letting out the clutch is normal and is more noticeable in the garage or any enclosed space.

You'll have to learn to blip the throttle before letting out the clutch on any incline and at most dead stops on flat ground.

Thanks Ingram,

Panic starts to set in when you hear unusual noises, esp. after reading the posts.

Going up inclines from a dead stop in the Shelby seems to be alot different from all the other manuals I've owned. Just when I thought it was safe to drive a stick.

+1

Thanks Ingram,

Panic starts to set in when you hear unusual noises, esp. after reading the posts.

Going up inclines from a dead stop in the Shelby seems to be alot different from all the other manuals I've owned. Just when I thought it was safe to drive a stick.

What other manuals have you owned?

All my prior Mustangs were the same way and so were friends Camaros, Firebirds and Vettes that I have driven.

I think its just the nature of the beast, you cant have it all :(

What other manuals have you owned?

Don't misunderstand.....This is my first Ford since 1975, all my other manuals were Vettes, a Porsche, and various Toyotas and Nissans. All I am saying is that after reading all the clutch issue posts, repairs, replacements, after I heard hissing, I may have jumped the gun. Thank the Lord Ford cleared me of any issues. I did do my own test Grabber posted, and I fall into the category of having clutch drag, so I thought. Regarding the stalling on inclines, I admitted that I need to become acustomed to different clutches out there.I always considered myself to be a good stick driver, so when I kept on stalling up my driveway, I was perplexed. Just a bit more gas is all.The car is also a bit heavier than others that I have owned, and that could also contribute to it. Nothing against Shelby was ever intended.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

I have an 08 GT-500 with 6600 miles on it and it shutters also. It also hisses. I can only hear the hiss when I pull into or out of my garage. Hmm....Just got the call from Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I order the clutch/sychro parts now????

Archived