TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FACTORY STRIPES Warranty

I'm just curious if anyone on this Site, that has complained about poor Stripe Application, has actually gone back to their Dealer to have new Stripes applied under Waranty? If so, did the Dealership do it or did they send you elsewhere? Was it a day job? Do the Newly applied Stripes look better? Are you satisfied?

Just curious, I have a bit of a bubble developing where the left Stripe tucks underneath the front of the hood.

Thanks,

Dave.

I'm just curious if anyone on this Site, that has complained about poor Stripe Application, has actually gone back to their Dealer to have new Stripes applied under Waranty? If so, did the Dealership do it or did they send you elsewhere? Was it a day job? Do the Newly applied Stripes look better? Are you satisfied?

Just curious, I have a bit of a bubble developing where the left Stripe tucks underneath the front of the hood.

Thanks,

Dave.

Yes, a local dealer restriped 4 different sections of mine. Originals were either crooked, had a bubble, didn't line up with previous stripe, etc.

DO NOT have the local dealer body shop do it. Ask them to have their outside contractor that stripes their other cars do it. They get paid warranty rate either way. As of a couple of months ago, you get the entire stripe package when you order any piece. Ask the dealer to give it to you so you'll have extras.

My car went into the body shop last Saturday for painted stripes. I'm going with a significantly whiter stripe than comes standard on my red coupe. The standard stripes have LOTS of yellow in them. The white with more blue pigment (think high quality bond printing paper) looks incredible over the red. MUCH more contrast. The downside is that I wasn't going to change the GT500 stripes and now I have to. But, I'm still not painting them. Every painter I spoke with said DON'T!!! You'll be repainting and touching up every couple of months. So, we're using a much thinner, higher-quality 8-year vinyl in a more vivid white tone and matching the paint to that. It should be out of the shop in 2 weeks. Can't wait!

:shift:

bj

Yes, a local dealer restriped 4 different sections of mine. Originals were either crooked, had a bubble, didn't line up with previous stripe, etc.

DO NOT have the local dealer body shop do it. Ask them to have their outside contractor that stripes their other cars do it. They get paid warranty rate either way. As of a couple of months ago, you get the entire stripe package when you order any piece. Ask the dealer to give it to you so you'll have extras.

My car went into the body shop last Saturday for painted stripes. I'm going with a significantly whiter stripe than comes standard on my red coupe. The standard stripes have LOTS of yellow in them. The white with more blue pigment (think high quality bond printing paper) looks incredible over the red. MUCH more contrast. The downside is that I wasn't going to change the GT500 stripes and now I have to. But, I'm still not painting them. Every painter I spoke with said DON'T!!! You'll be repainting and touching up every couple of months. So, we're using a much thinner, higher-quality 8-year vinyl in a more vivid white tone and matching the paint to that. It should be out of the shop in 2 weeks. Can't wait!

:shift:

bj

How can the guy making your new stripes possibly cut them as precisely as the ones that Ford designed / cut for the GT500's?

Just curious...

How can the guy making your new stripes possibly cut them as precisely as the ones that Ford designed / cut for the GT500's?

Just curious...

Computer cut. Things have some a long way since sissors. And, with the exception of the GT500 portion, they're standard widths. The "logo" is the only thing that needs to be cut.

As for the "over the top" stripes, as I'm sure you know, they taper. My guy is going to lay it out without the taper just to see what it looks like. I'll decide then.

Regarding Ford designing and cutting for the GT500.......

Hmm. Interesting that you should mention that. If you look at 10 GT500's, fewer than 3 will be the same. Ford knows this. They goofed by not creating bias cuts to allow seamless installation on non-square surfaces. For example, the rear spoiler is not square....thus the two tapered pieces that overlap onthe trailing edge of the surface. On the front, lower painted portion of the valance...just above the dam...the same thing happened there. It's not square and a ton of these cars have the outer crease coming up and/or bubbling. You'll love this one....although the hood stripes appear to be correct, from the amount of coverage on the air extractors all the way to each end.....there is an issue on a lot of cars where when you line up the front bumper/valance stripes with the hood, the front "crease" or point of the surface is not centered between the stripes. So, which one to you change?

Obviously the only way to do this correctly is to lay it out on the computer and start with the surfaces that have points or edges. Center those, then move forward with the rest of the car.

Finally, how many of these have you seen up close and personal? When you see a few, note the space between the end of the stripe and the trailing edge of the hood. Note the amount of paint showing between the front/rear windows and the tape stripe. Do the same on the trunk lid. Look at the edge around the license plate indent in the rear. Is the tape stripe uniform all the way around it? Of the cars I've seen, about 30% or so are correct. I've not seen one yet that is 100% correct with no visible overlaps...all on center...etc.

Sorry about the long answer, but had I known the inferior quality of their efforts I'd have certainly opted for a full stripe delete and painted everything on from the start. Unfortunately, now I'm paying $300 just to take their crap off.

:rant:

bj

Archived