TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Window Tint

jcain

Ok so I’ve hit a major challenge or dilemma if you will. My new Stang should be here in a couple of days so I want to know what many have done as far as what % window tint to use. This is my first black car all the others I’ve owned have either been silver or white. While 20% is adequate for light colored cars (it appears actually darker then 20%) I’m indecisive on whether or not it will appear dark enough on my Black GT with Dark Charcoal leather interior? Any suggestions would be great also if anyone has pictures of a Black car with either 5%, 15% or so I’ve heard there is a 15% and/or 20% please pass them on. :shrug:

Thanks,

JCain

Ask and ye shall receive. BTW, I took mine for tint after the installer assured me over the phone that I didn't need anything else. Before I left the car with her, I asked her to take a look to be sure that they wouldn't get scratched without installing felts. After looking, she said that I was right and it would definitely get scratch if I didn't install felts. Some use the soft side of velcro, some use a product called durofelt. They usually eventually have problems with the adhesive giving out on hot summer days and the felts coming off. "Moleskin seems to be the best thing out there from lots of research I've done and they are made specifically for this purpose. They cost $34.90 shipped priority mail. After the window wipe is removed from the door panel, it should be sanded with pretty course paper just to scuff the surface, then cleaned with alcohol. They come with instructions, but if anyone likes, I'll try to dig up a how-to link that someone wrote up on Brad's site.

http://www.automoleskin.com/ford.htm

Here's a link to a how-to and another link to "bulk moleskin". It looks like the same thing I got and I got just enough to do two doors. This is a 100 ft. roll for $29.80!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...amp;postcount=1

and this is for the 100 ft. roll of felt!

http://www.technologylk.com/product_view.a...product_ID=4187

Hope this helps some of you guys.

well based off of what I've seen and read I'm thinking I'm going to go with 20% all the way around.

Fastbackman good call on how to prevent window film scratches.

How many have scratched their window tint, and do you feel this would have prevented?

No scratches on any tint over 20+ years on many cars. Maybe I have been lucky, I dunno. This thread is the first I have heard of this problem. Maybe I'm blind? Maybe 3M doesn't scratch as much? Maybe you can't see scratches with 20%? My personal experience is that this is not a problem, obviously YRMV as others certainly feel differently.

I'll be putting 20% on the Shelby. I'm putting the moleskins in tomorrow. I won't go so far as to say it will get scratched without them, but I think over time they probably would. If you go to themustangsource and do a search for "tint" you'll read about quite a few problems. My installer said she's done several and hasn't put in felts but after looking at mine said she won't anymore and she was surprised she hadn't had any comebacks. Notice, I said she hadn't had any comebacks. That's why I'm not saying you absolutely must have them, I just wasn't willing to chance it.

Actually the felt sold in a roll above is the generic stuff.

It will come off and cause your windows to be smeared with glue after only a month or two. The adhesive isn’t strong enough for the heat and humidity in the door panel.

Automoleskin.com makes their own felt JUST for car window tint!

It’s the only stuff that really works. If you want it to last for more than a couple months get it from them.

I talked to Ed, my window tint guy (3 cars tinted by him, never had a complaint), he recommended NOT getting the felt in a Mustang.

Apparently, they seals for a mustang aren't the kind that scratch, so it's not necessary. He has, however, seen dirt get trapped in the felt and scratch the tint. He only recommended the felt for older cars that had a more rigid style of seal.

He uses automoleskin exlusively when he does need to use it.

*edit - he's been tinting windows for 17 years, so I trust him :)

Thanks for the update from a pro. I will NOT be installing it on my car, if it ever gets here. Doesn't really matter right now anyhow. We just had a little snow storm come through that brought me a wounderful 4" of the white stuff. Hopefully the lil stang is still covered up in a box car on the RR tracks making it's to rockies.

I still can't seem to make up my mind on 5% or 20%. Either way I'm sure it will look good.

Hey while I have everyones attention, who here as installed their own lowering springs? I did my last springs on my 89 and didn't have any problems other than my damn jack was too high and the bumper would have hit when i lowered the jack down. I had to place it back on jackstands and jack it up from the sides then lower scary, scary watching a car lean on two stands, but all was good when I got her rolling.

Here's the link to my old 89 coupe and the Jeep I just sold to purchase my new GT. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll try something different.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/Al...996/t_=76553996

Archived