TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 - The Exact date the new flywheel started going in

Grabber

Your correct, but I need to add a few comments to make sure you totally understand. :)

You forgot to note that the new nickle hub clutch came out with the new flywheel as well. the old steel hub clutchs were rusting and that added to the clutch drag problem with the rusty non lubed tranny input shaft. Using the Teflon lube during assembly helps the new parts mate during break in and provides lubrication

The reason the new input shaft works better is because it is broached to 1/10 the average Roughness of the old input shaft (it's smoother) and the "over pin" dimension has been increased slightly for a better fit with the mating clutch hub. Too small is just as bad as too big.

The three reasons the new flywheel works better (aluminum would work best for heat transfer reasons but is brutally expensive):

1) section strength -- increased stiffness at hub via increased thickness and elimination of those useless "cooling" or "dust" holes

2) material properties -- Young's Modulus increase (roughly proportional to stiffness) of about 25%

3) heat transfer -- greater thermal mass under friction area (note the tapered back of the flywheel vs the original one), also, forged steel (4100 series) has about 20-30% better heat transfer coefficient as compared to nodular iron.

I have a great dealer and they just did the tsb for me. However, after getting the car back there is about an inch or two of play in the clutch. Is this normal? Before it was very tight.

Question:

If I have a car that was built in 2/08, would I be safe to just have the clutch and flywheel replaced with an aftermarket set-up (Spec). Would I be out-of-the woods as far as the TSB is concerned. I hate to spend the money on a new car, but I don't like worrying about it.

I only have 1,650 miles on the car and am tired of worrying about this clutch TSB. In fact, I baby the car when driving in order to avoid having issues. I'd prefer to have this done prior to damaging the tranny.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

overtime

If you have not damaged your syncros you could just have the clutch and flywheel replaced. You should do the pilot bearing too. I am not familiar with the after market set up and it might void your warranty.

If your car shifts good and it does not have the faint hiss noise when you push the clutch pedal down in nuetral...your tranny should be just fine. Next time you start your car...open the door and keep the car in nuetral and push the clutch pedal all the way into the floor and listen. If you have a faint hissing noise that then fades to nothing then you have been putting abnormal wear on your syncros during the shifting process.

Untill the hissing noise is gone....it means the syncros are still loaded with engine torque and this happens while your shifting driving the car and it wears on your syncros.

Do the hiss test.

I have a great dealer and they just did the tsb for me. However, after getting the car back there is about an inch or two of play in the clutch. Is this normal? Before it was very tight.

You most likely have some air in the clutch line. For the next 10 times you use your car I want you to try this.

Do this before you start the car.

Pump the clutch pedal 10-15 times slowly.

Then pump the brake pedal 3-4 times.

Then go drive the car.

By doing this the next 10 times it should fix the problem.

Also note that the clutch should start engaging at about 1 inch and a quarter off the floor when you let it out.

Now go drive your car. :shift:

You most likely have some air in the clutch line. For the next 10 times you use your car I want you to try this.

Do this before you start the car.

Pump the clutch pedal 10-15 times slowly.

Then pump the brake pedal 3-4 times.

Then go drive the car.

By doing this the next 10 times it should fix the problem.

Also note that the clutch should start engaging at about 1 inch and a quarter off the floor when you let it out.

Now go drive your car. :shift:

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the info!!!

If you have not damaged your syncros you could just have the clutch and flywheel replaced. You should do the pilot bearing too. I am not familiar with the after market set up and it might void your warranty.

If your car shifts good and it does not have the faint hiss noise when you push the clutch pedal down in nuetral...your tranny should be just fine. Next time you start your car...open the door and keep the car in nuetral and push the clutch pedal all the way into the floor and listen. If you have a faint hissing noise that then fades to nothing then you have been putting abnormal wear on your syncros during the shifting process.

Untill the hissing noise is gone....it means the syncros are still loaded with engine torque and this happens while your shifting driving the car and it wears on your syncros.

Do the hiss test.

Grabber,

Just did the hiss test. The car hisses as I'm pushing the clutch in, however it stops pretty abruptly as it gets close to the floor. There's no hiss when the clutch is fully depressed (no fading out sound either) It just stops.

I only get the gear clunking when shifting from 1st to 2nd, but that seems to be fairly normal from all that I have read.

Do you think I'm good to go.

Thanks,

overtime

Grabber,

Just did the hiss test. The car hisses as I'm pushing the clutch in, however it stops pretty abruptly as it gets close to the floor. There's no hiss when the clutch is fully depressed (no fading out sound either) It just stops.

I only get the gear clunking when shifting from 1st to 2nd, but that seems to be fairly normal from all that I have read.

Do you think I'm good to go.

Thanks,

overtime

The car should not hiss at all when you are pushing the clutch pedal in. It should be quiet. Something is not right. As you let the clutch pedal out you will hear a very quick hiss. That's normal.

The car should not "Clunk" inbetween gears 1st and 2nd. The clunking is your syncros clunking. That's not good for them.

The clunking is not normal. My car does not do it. I don't want to tell you that your tranny is OK when it might not be. You may of damaged the syncros. I suggest you find a great dealer and have the TSB done on the car. If done right, you will have no problems afterwards.

The car should not hiss at all when you are pushing the clutch pedal in. It should be quiet. Something is not right. As you let the clutch pedal out you will hear a very quick hiss. That's normal.

The car should not "Clunk" inbetween gears 1st and 2nd. The clunking is your syncros clunking. That's not good for them.

The clunking is not normal. My car does not do it. I don't want to tell you that your tranny is OK when it might not be. You may of damaged the syncros. I suggest you find a great dealer and have the TSB done on the car. If done right, you will have no problems afterwards.

Thank you. I will pursue the TSB with my dealer. Hopefully, they will handle it in the most courteous manner. I'm not that good at pushing, until I get my way.

Your correct, but I need to add a few comments to make sure you totally understand. :)

You forgot to note that the new nickle hub clutch came out with the new flywheel as well. the old steel hub clutchs were rusting and that added to the clutch drag problem with the rusty non lubed tranny input shaft. Using the Teflon lube during assembly helps the new parts mate during break in and provides lubrication

The reason the new input shaft works better is because it is broached to 1/10 the average Roughness of the old input shaft (it's smoother) and the "over pin" dimension has been increased slightly for a better fit with the mating clutch hub. Too small is just as bad as too big.

The three reasons the new flywheel works better (aluminum would work best for heat transfer reasons but is brutally expensive):

1) section strength -- increased stiffness at hub via increased thickness and elimination of those useless "cooling" or "dust" holes

2) material properties -- Young's Modulus increase (roughly proportional to stiffness) of about 25%

3) heat transfer -- greater thermal mass under friction area (note the tapered back of the flywheel vs the original one), also, forged steel (4100 series) has about 20-30% better heat transfer coefficient as compared to nodular iron.

Great explanation Grabber :salute:

Thank you for these useful additional info. Easy to see that you have spent time digging that issue out. I hope my GT500 will never need the TSB because there is no warranty where I am. Positive side is I know what are the parts to replace if (should I say when...) this happens. R&I a transmission is no big deal but still is a pita. I have driven 1500mi racing and cruising mountains roads, no commuting, and everything goes fine so far :lurk::lurk: .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

8/21/08 Production

OLD flywheel. Passes "hiss" test and has no odd or bad feel in first 150mi. of casual driving.

Have another unit that is a 10/14 production; will inspect and report back later.

Is this something that is widespread; or just kind of happens if you sit in traffic and/or overheat/abuse/slip the clutch excessively?

Both cars here have very light chatter if you catch them in the wrong spot, but the "later" production has a slightly (ever so slightly) stiffer feel and you can modulate the takeup a little cleaner/better.

Edited by mblgjr

I have an 09 GT500 with build date of 10/08 and My buddy at Ford just pulled my build sheet using my VIN number and he says I have the old flywheel in my car as the part number ends in a dounble "A" and the new revised part number in the tsb ends in a "B"...........im bringing my car in to the dealer in the morning but im gonna ask them to only do the flywheel/clutch portion of the TSB because my car has the chatter and the hiss but my tranny shifts like butter, not notchy at all but the clutch chatter is rediculous......I actually dont mind the hiss at all because its as if the car is hissing getting ready to bite a chunk outta the cars azz thats next to me...LOL!

I have an 09 GT500 with build date of 10/08 and My buddy at Ford just pulled my build sheet using my VIN number and he says I have the old flywheel in my car as the part number ends in a dounble "A" and the new revised part number in the tsb ends in a "B"...........im bringing my car in to the dealer in the morning but im gonna ask them to only do the flywheel/clutch portion of the TSB because my car has the chatter and the hiss but my tranny shifts like butter, not notchy at all but the clutch chatter is rediculous......I actually dont mind the hiss at all because its as if the car is hissing getting ready to bite a chunk outta the cars azz thats next to me...LOL!

Your buddy must of made a mistake. Your car was built 10/28/08. It has all the latest parts.

Anyone care to comment how I wound up with an 8/23/08 '09 model car with the old FW?

I really want to bash my head in; haha. I guess Ford won't do anything yet because it has no symptoms...I probably ought to just buy the new flywheel by itself and pull everything and put it in now and be done with it. Normally I'd say clutch too...but considering the mileage being under 200...

From my summation this situation should have been a friggin' recall; not a TSB. :censored:

Anyone care to comment how I wound up with an 8/23/08 '09 model car with the old FW?

I really want to bash my head in; haha. I guess Ford won't do anything yet because it has no symptoms...I probably ought to just buy the new flywheel by itself and pull everything and put it in now and be done with it. Normally I'd say clutch too...but considering the mileage being under 200...

From my summation this situation should have been a friggin' recall; not a TSB. :censored:

There must of been a few floating around and you ended up with it. Sorry.

There must of been a few floating around and you ended up with it. Sorry.

Haha; way to cheer a guy up :hysterical:

JK, I know stuff happens. What kills me is I had tried to inspect it before I bought but apparently couldn't see well enough :doh: And I was glad it was just outside of the dates posted here of the changeover...

No biggie...we'll see how far I can nurse it.

8/27/08 is the date that the new flywheel started going into the cars...per my research and report back from members that looked into the little hole with a flash light to verify the new flywheel. Please read post #1 and click on the photo to enlarge it so you know which hole to look into for the inspection.

Here are the part numbers.

th_Flywheelinstallation001.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation002.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation003.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation006.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation007.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation008.jpg

My car has the old FW. The VIN is 1ZVHT88S895131219.

This sucks, after living through the dumb ass magic spark plug issue on my 05 Mustang and now this. Is there any information on how many of these FWs develop the problems that require the TSB be accomplished?

With a build date of 08/20/2008 you will need to keep a close eye on your clutch. Per Ford's TSB - All GT500's built prior to 9/1/08 could have this problem.

With a build date of 08/20/2008 you will need to keep a close eye on your clutch. Per Ford's TSB - All GT500's built prior to 9/1/08 could have this problem.

Thanks again for your efforts Rob. You're always looking out for us! Unfortunately, my dealer will not do the TSB without symptoms. He has it printed right on his desk. I guess they have strict orders from Ford on this. I just turned 11,000 miles and still shifts like the day I picked it up. I know I'll probablty get stuck paying for this after warranty. It's crazy to wish something will go wrong so I can get it done! Should have been a recall.

Edited by mullens

Birdie just told me that you have all the latest and greatest parts. :happy feet:

BUILD DATE: 09/05/2008

:happy feet:

:shift:

You da man Grabber!!

Thank you again!!

Man I love this car!!

:marks "Shelb's" birthday on calender:

Oh yeah, thank Birdie for me too!!

Edited by OCD