TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question about hood alignment

chuckstang

My hood was originally aligned fine but I attempted to take off my Steeda Hood Struts myself and in the process, did it wrong, and the hood was not supported enough and fell causing some damage but once I got the hood struts off and started to tighten the 2 bolts on each side I noticed that now the hood is over towards the driver side about .25" causing a vey large gap on the passenger side.

I actually did not think any left and right adjustment was in those 2 bolts on each side which essantially hold the hood on and I don't want to attempt this myself again but I had it at a body shop yesterday and they just said we can adjust the fenders and so on but I know for a fact that should not be necessary since it was fine pre the hood struts.

I suppose I could have bent the bracket when the hood fell but I can not spot any damage and really it is just over to th driver side .25" mainly towards the cowl though, I noticed that where the front edge of the hood meets the front bumper and fender does not appear to have changed.

I will snap some pics

I just want to know what I could do to try and fix this and perhaps just take it to my dealer and have them help me if its easy enough where you dont really need a body shop

Thanks!!!

Thats what Im afraid of, because you know how when metal is bolted to metal and then you move it, you can see like a line where it used to be. Well I figure if I did not line it up right and bolt it back up where it used to be you would be able to tell.

Ahh, hard to explain but ya Im worried the bracket is bent.

I got a quote of roughly $500 from Tasca to paint the hood but Im sure I should expect to be close to $600 since the hood needs to be aligned

I dont know about you but the cars I take the best care of tend to have stuff like this happen and then the cars I drive daily and park anywhere and wash once a month, nothing ever happens to them! Funny how that happens haha

Yikes

Do you think I should look elswhere or ?

Im just not sure how to fix it, the scratch is very deep and I have read on other detailing websites how to wet sand an area to make the touch up bland in but like I figured, body shops dont want to do that, they want the big bucks, aka paint the whole hood. On a plus side, there are already alot of chips so those would go away as well

Also, Im hoping they can finally get the hood to fender fitment right, because right now, my engine bay is getting drenched when I wash it because the gap is that large

pics to follow

Do you think I should look elswhere or ?

Im just not sure how to fix it, the scratch is very deep and I have read on other detailing websites how to wet sand an area to make the touch up bland in but like I figured, body shops dont want to do that, they want the big bucks, aka paint the whole hood. On a plus side, there are already alot of chips so those would go away as well

Also, Im hoping they can finally get the hood to fender fitment right, because right now, my engine bay is getting drenched when I wash it because the gap is that large

pics to follow

Where are the Pic's to follow ?

If the hood is off by 1/4 " it needs to be shifted & you should have some adjustment in the bolts, unless a hinge is bent &you should be able to see that. Try moving it but get help from someone to hold it while you loosen the fastners.

If the hood is off by 1/4 " it needs to be shifted & you should have some adjustment in the bolts, unless a hinge is bent &you should be able to see that. Try moving it but get help from someone to hold it while you loosen the fastners.

Hi, I checked and nothing looks bent thank god. So, you think there is some adjustment in the 2 bolts that hold the hood? Loosen and just shift over and then re-tighten

Im thinking its just one of those things where if you loosen the 2 bolts on both side, you will be able to slide the hood slightly over towards the side with the larger fender gap and then just re tigthen

But, you are saying that the hood does have some adjustment to it to move left or right a bit? I don't want to adjust the fenders since I know that is not the problem because I didnt have this gap prior to my hood falling

thank you

Archived