TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Birds and Bees?

BoneDoc

i have noticed that when i wash my grabber orange GT500.... the bees literally come out of the woodwork! there will not be a single bee around, and when i park the car in the driveway to wash, the bees come out in droves! they seem to just like to sit on the car for some reason? they look like yellow-jackets. they don't seem aggrevated or aggressive... just like to land and sit on the car. i don't get it.

anyone else notice this?

anyone know why?

help a guy out, here for goodness sake!

at least they seem to have good taste in cars!

If your car has offspring can I have one...I haven't got my car yet? :hysterical:

never thought about it like that..... you're a GENIUS!!! :doh:

let's see how many baby GT500's per mating opportunity?..... multiply that times 45K sticker plus 20K ADM for each.... I'll be rich! I'm gonna wash the damn thing more often!

scgt500: yours would be free, of course.... for giving me the idea!

I gotta go start washin' now!

Here Bee, bee, bee.... Here bee, bee, bee! mama's waitin for ya!

:hysterical::hysterical:

First, let me say BoneDoc, congrats on a beautiful car! Good luck with it!!! :shift:

Okay, here's the explanation:

Bees are attracted to bright colors because they identify them (at first) as flowers. They come to investigate. Try wearing a brightly colored shirt in the yard one day....same result, but on a smaller scale. Your car looks like one HUGE flower! To top it off, this time of year is tough as many flowers are no longer in bloom, but the bees are still alive and still need to feed!

I would bet a buck that the smell of the car wash also draws them in as they add scent to this as well. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do for this, but they will be hibernating soon enough. When spring comes, all the flowers are in bloom, so you should be in much better shape. Hope this helps!

PS-- If you want, I'll take your car off your hands for FREE...such a deal...... and get rid of that nasty issue for you!!! Just a thought... :hysterical::hysterical: :devil:

I had to laugh when I read your post, BoneDoc. Reason being, we first noticed this strange phenomenon when my husband bought his '95 GT. The car is Canary Yellow with a single black stripe. For some reason, bees swarm when the car is placed in sunlight. When he spiffies that car up, I usually just take shelter. I've been stung twice! I always joked that by landing on the car, they just thought it was a gigantic bee. :)

I had to laugh when I read your post, BoneDoc. Reason being, we first noticed this strange phenomenon when my husband bought his '95 GT. The car is Canary Yellow with a single black stripe. For some reason, bees swarm when the car is placed in sunlight. When he spiffies that car up, I usually just take shelter. I've been stung twice! I always joked that by landing on the car, they just thought it was a gigantic bee. :)

nice to know i'm not alone, EVIL95GT

BTW... nice to see you posting more these days.

BoneDoc.........you're in good company. If we ever have a nice warm day here with lots of sunshine, I'll snap some pics of our bees. It was something really weird to see at first, but after all thsi time, you just sort of get used to the bees taking over. :)

It's good to be back, and thank you!

I've noticed that silver cars seem to attract yellow-jeckets. My silver 4x4 van was a magnet for them, but I have no idea why -- my guess has always been that silver tends to reflect surrounding colors without changing them because it's neutral.

But Grabber Orange? :shrug: I like the flower theory though ;) If you find their hive don't eat the honey -- it's probably 5W50 synth :hysterical:

You couldn't afford the ADM on those bees.

:hysterical2:

Glad to see that we have finally approached the realm of farce with that topic; any further verbiage is just moving deck chairs on the Titanic.... :party:

As an aside, I have noticed that just about any very shiny car has the same attraction for the critters. I wonder if its because they see in another area of the radiation spectrum? ;)

:hysterical2:

Glad to see that we have finally approached the realm of farce with that topic; any further verbiage is just moving deck chairs on the Titanic.... :party:

As an aside, I have noticed that just about any very shiny car has the same attraction for the critters. I wonder if its because they see in another area of the radiation spectrum? ;)

...as in:

"Hey, Zeek, what's that? You see that light? Damn, I'm gonna check. You comin'? Get the Huey"

;):party::shrug:

i have noticed that when i wash my grabber orange GT500.... the bees literally come out of the woodwork! there will not be a single bee around, and when i park the car in the driveway to wash, the bees come out in droves! they seem to just like to sit on the car for some reason? they look like yellow-jackets. they don't seem aggrevated or aggressive... just like to land and sit on the car. i don't get it.

anyone else notice this?

anyone know why?

help a guy out, here for goodness sake!

at least they seem to have good taste in cars!

BoneDoc,

I have the same thing happen, and I have a black one. also yellow jackets.

I thought maybe it was the dead bugs on the car.

Archived