TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wash & Wax?

kraegar

Kind of embarrasing to ask - but I've actually never owned a car new / nice enough to wax before. (My Jeep is more likely to be covered in a thick layer of mud then not).

What do you use to wash & wax your new stangs? So far I've made 3 trips to the self-serve car wash, and just used the rinse & high pressure wash.

Do you guys hand wash? Just waterpressure, or with rags/sponges etc?

I know I need to Wax it, and I know I'm supposed to wait 60 - 90 days... but after that, I'm not sure what some good products are, or even how to apply them.

I'm hoping for something that doesn't take hours of work, and will last a while. With the Alloy color of my car, it shows dirt / waterspots constantly, so I'm hoping to find a wax that helps with that a bit. I've heard Zaino is spectacular, but looking at their website, it looks like a 2 day job just to wax the car. I'd rather be out driving! :shift:

Some of these may seem like dumb questions, but keep in mind my last car was an '89 Camry with more rust then paint. If I'd washed it, it would've disintigrated.

Thanks!

- Tony

Kind of embarrasing to ask - but I've actually never owned a car new / nice enough to wax before. (My Jeep is more likely to be covered in a thick layer of mud then not).

What do you use to wash & wax your new stangs? So far I've made 3 trips to the self-serve car wash, and just used the rinse & high pressure wash.

Do you guys hand wash? Just waterpressure, or with rags/sponges etc?

I know I need to Wax it, and I know I'm supposed to wait 60 - 90 days... but after that, I'm not sure what some good products are, or even how to apply them.

I'm hoping for something that doesn't take hours of work, and will last a while. With the Alloy color of my car, it shows dirt / waterspots constantly, so I'm hoping to find a wax that helps with that a bit. I've heard Zaino is spectacular, but looking at their website, it looks like a 2 day job just to wax the car. I'd rather be out driving! :shift:

Some of these may seem like dumb questions, but keep in mind my last car was an '89 Camry with more rust then paint. If I'd washed it, it would've disintigrated.

Thanks!

- Tony

The "popular" opinion on these forums tends to say Maguires or Zaino. I personnally use and prefer Zaino. I, too never took car of my own car until now. :rockon:

Old guy here.

Before clearcoats - we used to wax and wax and wax and compound and wax and wax.

Now - you aren't waxing the paint - you're polishing the clearcoat.

I had an '01 Ranger that I washed only - and the water beaded up after 3 years.

Polishes like Zaino (which I've used and it goes on and comes off very easily - I could put a coat on my 350Z in about 30 mins) do add some depth to darker colors. They make it sound complicated if you do the clay bar thing and then mix their compounds, but relax - it's really very easy compared to the old "waxing" we used to do.

No need to use any soap product when you wash - unless you have grease on the car. Just use a quality wash mit and loosen the film - then rinse and dry (with a chamois or micro-fibre towell).

Don't use pressure washers or "touchless" car washes - they can do damage to trim and weak spots in the paint.

Just my humble, seasoned opinion!

Archived