TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT tune?

I want to find an SCT programmer for my SGT, but was told at Sacramento Mustang that they weren't sure if there was a tune built for my car.

The salesguy said that they'll either be tuned for the GT or the GT500. Anyone know which programmer to get? Thanks for any help!

Ken

Does it plug and play with the SGT?

Your not buying a chip. Bamachips sells the custom tunes that you download into your SCT Tuner and then upload into your SGT through the OBDII Port. You can buy the tuner directly from Bamachips with the tunes pre-installed or buy the tuner on eBay and just get the tunes from Bamachips.

Do they only offer the X2 or can you request the X3?

Is there a serious benefit to the X3 that anyone knows of?

Ken

Rumor has it that the X3 is still a bit quirky, whereas the X2 is mature and developed, after a few years of debugging.

My tech recommended the X2 for reliability, and I trusted him - all went well.

Just my 2 cents, and your tuner can recommend what THEY prefer.

Jer

I want to find an SCT programmer for my SGT, but was told at Sacramento Mustang that they weren't sure if there was a tune built for my car.

The salesguy said that they'll either be tuned for the GT or the GT500. Anyone know which programmer to get? Thanks for any help!

Ken

Bama race tune and then hold on

Your not buying a chip. Bamachips sells the custom tunes that you download into your SCT Tuner and then upload into your SGT through the OBDII Port. You can buy the tuner directly from Bamachips with the tunes pre-installed or buy the tuner on eBay and just get the tunes from Bamachips.

I understand that. My question was geared at finding out if Bamachips had a tune specifically for the SGT as it sits stock.

I understand that. My question was geared at finding out if Bamachips had a tune specifically for the SGT as it sits stock.

When you give Bamachips the SGT's strategy/calibration code, they'll know it's not a stock GT. Not sure if they have a canned SGT tune.

cool let us know how you like it.

The Livewire is great, but definitely not necessary. The X3 would be just fine by itself, if you can't find as good of a deal as I did. Either way, this has got to be the cheapest source of more HP for just about any car that they are compatible with.

My favorite features of the Livewire:

-Real time HP and TQ with trending and peak numbers reached over any course of time (estimated #'s)

-Real time read out of data from CPU, otherwise not accessible, such as coolant temp (to the tenth of a degree), intake air temp, vehicle and engine speed (to the tenth of MPH and RPM), among other things

-Ability to read and clear CPU codes (check engine light)

Here are some things that might be of use for other members:

-There isn't a single programmer built that has a canned tune for a SGT

-You must have a custom tune written for your car (I got mine from Bamachips)

-The "strategy code" you must submit to Bamachips is NOT the 4 character code on your CPU (that tag references the stock flash from Ford, not the re-flash from SAI)

-You've got to plug your programmer in to your CPU and search for the correct "strategy", before submitting your order for your custom tune

-According to Doug at Bama, the Shelby re-flash only alters about 10% of the original program from Ford

Anyway, I thought I'd throw that info out there for anyone that might get any use out of it.

I definitely recommend the race tune from Bamachips. The throttle response and HP gain is instant and drastic!

Ken

-The "strategy code" you must submit to Bamachips is NOT the 4 character code on your CPU (that tag references the stock flash from Ford, not the re-flash from SAI)

-You've got to plug your programmer in to your CPU and search for the correct "strategy", before submitting your order for your custom tune

Ken

Not true. Both Brenspeed and Bamachips asked for the 4 character code by the fusebox when I placed my order. I never plugged my programmer in to read any codes . I think Ford Racing Team does the re-flash, not SAI.

Just got back from having my car tuned using an SCT tuner. Stock run 288 RWHP 300 RWTQ. After the tune 302.3 RWHP and 323 RWTQ. Car is more respondsive and talk about feeling it in the seat of your pants. Should have done this sooner.

Not true. Both Brenspeed and Bamachips asked for the 4 character code by the fusebox when I placed my order. I never plugged my programmer in to read any codes . I think Ford Racing Team does the re-flash, not SAI.

Here's what Doug from Bama had to say:

"That's what I needed to know, I had to compare it with the stock RYA1 to ensure it the base file would work properly with the security setup, in some tunes they changed the settings. About 90% are setup the same but there are a few that they are changed, I just request this from all of my Shelby customers to ensure I get it right."

Ken

Just got back from having my car tuned using an SCT tuner. Stock run 288 RWHP 300 RWTQ. After the tune 302.3 RWHP and 323 RWTQ. Car is more respondsive and talk about feeling it in the seat of your pants. Should have done this sooner.

That's awesome! Which custom tune did you end up going with?

Ken

Basicly it was a custom tune based off the 93 octane tune from SCT and using the SAI tune as some sort of baseline. Brent at DTPRacing hooked it up and what a difference it has made. You can call him at 757-549-3966. They are based in Chesapeake Va.

Basicly it was a custom tune based off the 93 octane tune from SCT and using the SAI tune as some sort of baseline. Brent at DTPRacing hooked it up and what a difference it has made. You can call him at 757-549-3966. They are based in Chesapeake Va.

Yeah man I definitely will. The race tune I got from Bama is great, but I'd still like to shop around for another, especially since this thing holds 3 custom tunes.

Thanks for the info.

Ken

Hey Vic,

Your stock #s are similar to my stock run at DTP. I got 290 rwhp and 311rwtq stock.

Also, he had just got done tuning a 2007 SGT and got very similar numbers to your tuned numbers: 303rwhp and 320rwtq. This car had the JLT CAI. Based on this small datapoint, I guess there isn't much difference between a JLT CAI and a Steeda CAI (what the SGT comes with) on our cars.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31388

Hey Mark how's it going?

I had talked to Jay at JLT earlier this year and he said that changing the tube and tune to his would not show a big HP difference over the FRRP that comes with the SGT. He tested it at DTP and they only saw a 1 to 3 HP difference depending on the car and the cold air intake (Steeda, JLT, BBK nad the likes). So it's not worth the money to switch out the tubes and retune. I guess it is worth it if you want to pretty it up.

So just with the tune I picked up 14 more ponies to the rear tires. I'm happy for now.

Probably won't make too much difference but I still would like to see a before and after test of the steeda elbow. Have DTP or any aftermarket tuner, tune the car with the stock inlet tube and then see if they get anymore or less with the elbow. Steeda claims up to an 8hp/8 tq gain. http://www.steeda.com/products/s197_inlet_tube.php

DTP has a dyno day coming up. Anybody want to donate a steeda elbow?

I just would want to see this independently verified.

Probably won't make too much difference but I still would like to see a before and after test of the steeda elbow. Have DTP or any aftermarket tuner, tune the car with the stock inlet tube and then see if they get anymore or less with the elbow. Steeda claims up to an 8hp/8 tq gain. http://www.steeda.com/products/s197_inlet_tube.php

DTP has a dyno day coming up. Anybody want to donate a steeda elbow?

I just would want to see this independently verified.

The best I can do is pull mine off in place of the stock elbow and give you my Livewire trends.

The problem is I'm not sure how accurate it's estimates are.

Also, you never can tell 100%, because of driving variables.

I'll swap it out though either way, just to give myself an idea.

Ken

Archived