TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Delivery.

ChipBeck

The events I describe here happened two and a half years ago. This is an absolutely true story of what occurred when I took delivery of my new Ford GT at Sugarland Ford in Houston, Texas. I originally wrote this post for the Ford GT Forum. It was mentioned today and recopied on that forum. I thought Team Shelby members might enjoy it.

Before picking up the car I was told that the LeMans style doors, that cut deeply in the roof above the driver's head, could be a little tricky. "Certainly no problem here" I thought to myself. I'm very familiar with high-performance cars. So how did Chip Beck's delivery go?

The Delivery.

When I bought my car it was in Houston so I flew out from Scottsdale and a nice FEMALE dealership employee picked me up at the airport. When we got to the dealership my yellow GT was "looking good" in the service stall and I was giving it my best - this is no big deal, Joe COOL - demeanor as I slipped into the drivers seat to inspect my new ride. Ah yes, the sales babe probably thinks I'm a professional race car driver. With half of the dealerships employees crowded around the car and my young sales lady looking on from the passengers seat, I proceeded to slam the door shut on the top of my head, shearing the hair off the center of my scalp and giving myself an instant reverse MOHAWK. The intense pain was amplified as my passenger screamed, "Oh my god, your hair is stuck in the roof, does that hurt?!?!" I could feel my coolness draining away rapidly. Determined to salvage the shred of dignaty that remained, I said, "No problem darlin". I then proceeded to swing the door open, and jauntily stepped out....slamming my forehead into the corner of the door with such force that it drove me to my knees. "Oh my god, are you allright?" my saleslady shrieked as she rushed to my aid. "I'm pretty sure Dan Gurney didn't do this" I was thinking as my hair drifted down from the top edge of the door. By now, the sales managers enthusiasm for letting this out-of-state hotshot test drive their Ford GT, was noticeably diminished. Christ, this has to be some kind of a record. I've already had two injury accidents and she hasn't even given me the keys yet. "I'm fine, I'm fine", I exclaimed as I staggered to my feet. "Let's go inside and do the paperwork before I kill myself out here". tired.gif The car was shipped to AZ and I was able to fly my plane home without crashing. My hair and my ego are both slowly growing back.

Chip

Chip -

Good story - can't top that but I still remember picking up my first Harley and saying to myself with quite the crowd around - don't drop it, whatever you do, don't drop it and when I picked up my Shelby after having been away from manual transmissions for years, don't stall her, what ever you do....

Whatever happens at the pick up, you're the one that has the GT in the garage so all is well

Dave

hysterical Chip.....

I was driving a Lambo Gallardo Spyder the other day..........my line of sight was perfectly matched to the drivers side visor, I either had to crunch down to see out the windshield (and there is just no room to crunch down in that damn thing) ....or do my best Lurch impersonation and look over the windshield as I drove.

Gotta love exotic cars!

Very funny Story. I hope you are enjoying your Car. I can picture it now........ The Door is closed and there is Hair sticking up through the Roof and the people standing around the Car are Petting it commenting on how soft it is and wandering what Shampoo you use ........... :hysterical:

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Chip that was funny! You've got to be able to laugh at yourself once in a while and while it was probably embarrasing as hell at the time, it probably seems funny to you now. Thanks for sharing (speaking of which how about some picks of the whole GT-IMO yellow is the sweetest color on the GT and I'd love to see more of it :drool: )

Spell check would have been advantageous on this one for me-hopefully it now looks like my 2nd grader didn't type it

That was an awesome and extremely funny story Chip. Thanks for sharing. I've only seen one GT in my life and that was when I was leaving work a couple of years ago. I was sitting at the light in front of the base getting ready to make a left hand turn. I looked over to my left and saw a tungsten colored GT with an elderly gentleman sitting behind the wheel waiting for the light to turn green. I thought to my self "What a waste, I bet that old man doesn't drive that car above the speed limit". Haha, he made me the fool. When the light turned green he jumped on it and was gone in a roar and a flash. Very cool cars indeed.

That was funny...... I'm still laughing..........

[quote name='moabman' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:47 AM' post='553880'

What kind of plane do you fly? For some reason, you sound like a Beechcraft kind-of-guy :happy feet:

I caught that too..........Mooney, Beachcraft or Cirrus?

The events I describe here happened two and a half years ago. This is an absolutely true story of what occurred when I took delivery of my new Ford GT at Sugarland Ford in Houston, Texas. I originally wrote this post for the Ford GT Forum. It was mentioned today and recopied on that forum. I thought Team Shelby members might enjoy it.

Before picking up the car I was told that the LeMans style doors, that cut deeply in the roof above the driver's head, could be a little tricky. "Certainly no problem here" I thought to myself. I'm very familiar with high-performance cars. So how did Chip Beck's delivery go?

The Delivery.

When I bought my car it was in Houston so I flew out from Scottsdale and a nice FEMALE dealership employee picked me up at the airport. My yellow GT was "looking good" in the service stall and I was giving it my best - this is no big deal, Joe COOL - demeanor as I slipped into the drivers seat to inspect my new ride. Ah yes, the sales babe probably thinks I'm a professional race car driver. With half of the dealerships employees crowded around the car and my young sales lady looking on from the passengers seat, I proceeded to slam the door shut on the top of my head, shearing the hair off the center of my scalp and giving myself an instant reverse MOHAWK. The intense pain was amplified as my passenger screamed, "Oh my god, your hair is stuck in the roof, does that hurt?!?!" I could feel my coolness draining away rapidly. Determined to salvage the shred of dignaty that remained, I said, "No problem darlin". I then proceeded to swing the door open, and jauntily stepped out....slamming my forehead into the corner of the door with such force that it drove me to my knees. "Oh my god, are you allright?" my saleslady shrieked as she rushed to my aid. "I'm pretty sure Dan Gurney didn't do this" I was thinking as my hair drifted down from the top edge of the door. By now, the sales managers enthusiasm for letting this out-of-state hotshot test drive their Ford GT, was noticeably diminished. Christ, this has to be some kind of a record. I've already had two injury accidents and she hasn't even given me the keys yet. "I'm fine, I'm fine", I exclaimed as I staggered to my feet. "Let's go inside and do the paperwork before I kill myself out here". tired.gif The car was shipped to AZ and I was able to fly my plane home without crashing. My hair and my ego are both slowly growing back.

Chip

Chip,

Do you live in one of those houses that have a private airstrip? I saw it on tv last week here in The Netherlands.

That was funny...... I'm still laughing..........

[quote name='moabman' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:47 AM' post='553880'

What kind of plane do you fly? For some reason, you sound like a Beechcraft kind-of-guy :happy feet:

I caught that too..........Mooney, Beachcraft or Cirrus?

Gentlemen,

Talk about a late response to an out of date thread. I must've lost track of this one. In any event if you still want to know, I currently own two aircraft. A Glasair III and a Cirrus SR22-G2. Both of them were custom-built for me. I have been flying for 30 years now, I earned my license in 1978. I hold commercial and instrument tickets for both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. I started flying aerobatics in 1984 and during the late 1980s I flew as right wingman on the Firebirds Aerobatic Team. In 1995 I was hired by the Stoddard-Hamilton Aircraft Co. to be their airshow demonstration pilot. I put on aerobatic demonstrations in the Glasair III. Stoddard-Hamilton Aircraft Co. put me in touch with Phoenix Composites (the same company that built my SGT hood scoop) who constructed my Glasair III with inverted fuel and oil systems, aileron spades, and many other modifications for airshow work. I no longer work as an airshow performer but I still own the Glassair III and fly it for fun whenever I get the urge to do some aerobatics. My cross-country airplane is a Cirrus SR22-G2. For those of you unfamiliar with the type, it is a big, fast, (205 mph) comfortable, 4 seater with one very unique feature. If something ever goes seriously wrong or you lose control in bad weather, pulling a handle above the pilots head will fire a huge rocket propelled parachute out of the plane from just behind the passenger compartment where it will deploy and lower the entire aircraft safely to the ground. How cool is that!

I have logged time in all types of aircraft. I learned to fly in a Beechcraft, have almost 2000 hours in Pitts Special aerobatic aircraft, helicopter time in types ranging from the Robinson R22 to the Bell Jet Ranger and have piloted over 50 other different types of aircraft. I've previously owned three other aircraft, two Pitts Specials, and an Aviat Husky.

Photos below include a picture of my current Cirrus, forced down in a snowstorm near Albuquerque while bringing home a Pitts special biplane purchased by my former Firebirds Aerobatic Team leader, Rory Moore. A photo of me flying my Glasair III in the airshow at Oshkosh Wisconsin (1999). Ford GT chief designer Camillo Pardo strapped into the right-hand seat of my Glasair III prior to flying some aerobatics last year. And Ford GT Forum President David Bannister sitting on the right wing prior to going up with me.

Chip

post-12804-1226791467_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226791490_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226791475_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226791484_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226791467_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226791475_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226791484_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226791490_thumb.jpg

Hey Chip what makes the smoke in an acrobatic plane? Thanks!

McCoy,

The smoke that pours out the exhaust stacks of an aerobatic aircraft is made by injecting Corvus Oil directly in to the exhaust headers where it burns and turns into a thick white smoke. Corvus Oil 13 is manufactured by the Texaco Oil Company and costs about five dollars a gallon. And you need to use a lot of it. The smoke oil tank on my Glasair III holds 15 gallons and I pump it into my exhaust manifold at the rate of 1 gallon a minute! 15 gallons for a 14 minute show. It produces great smoke but not all of it burns and it turns the belly of your aircraft into a gooey, oily, mess. You have to use it however as an air show without smoke doesn't quite get it.

Chip

Archived