TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Magnaflow Axle Back Installation

colt

I just picked up Magnaflow yesterday. The first step in the instructions is to disconnect the car battery. The instruction goes on to said "this will allow the computer to reset itself with the new system". There are questions I need to know:

1) Does Shelby have the on board computer that will reset itself with these kind modification?

2) Has anyone change out the axle back with Magnaflow? and did you disconnect the battery per their instructions?

I'm going to follow the instructions but just curious. This is sound like update your computer by re-boot. Why disconnect because when you start-up the computer will monitor the exhaust system and adjust accordingly. I'm planning to install this weekend. I will have photo and sound clibs (before and after)

I just picked up Magnaflow yesterday. The first step in the instructions is to disconnect the car battery. The instruction goes on to said "this will allow the computer to reset itself with the new system". There are questions I need to know:

1) Does Shelby have the on board computer that will reset itself with these kind modification?

2) Has anyone change out the axle back with Magnaflow? and did you disconnect the battery per their instructions?

I'm going to follow the instructions but just curious. This is sound like update your computer by re-boot. Why disconnect because when you start-up the computer will monitor the exhaust system and adjust accordingly. I'm planning to install this weekend. I will have photo and sound clibs (before and after)

i put on the same system,but didn't disconnect the battery...BTW,not a big difference

in the sound,just a little lower sound..

i put on the same system,but didn't disconnect the battery...BTW,not a big difference

Sorry, I can't help with your questions, but that's the exhaust I'm considering. Looking forward to the before and after sound clips.

Dave :shift:

I installed the Magnaflows shortly after I got the car, but I was unaware of the disconnect per procedure. I had installed the same axle-backs on my Mustang GT and I really liked the sound. They are not much louder than stock, but still quite an improvement. It seems like they have gotten a better sound after about 10,000 miles on them. Right now I would have to say that the GT sounds a little better than the GT500! I hope that sound will get better, too!

I have a clip, but it is too awful to send to anyone! Not the fault of the Magnaflows, operator error!

You all have not answered the question? I thought this was an interesting question, why not call Magnaflow and see what they say?

I did called them and they said "yes you have to disconnect the battery" :rant: . I will call one my friend @ Magnaflow maybe he can could talk to the design eng and get the real respond.

I installed Magnaflow axlebacks, they get louder with time and they keep sounding better. No need to disconnect the battery. The mufflers won't affect engine controls. If they caused a problem the check engine light would come on. The PCM doesn't monitor what is happening after the Cats.

I installed Magnaflow axlebacks, they get louder with time and they keep sounding better. No need to disconnect the battery. The mufflers won't affect engine controls. If they caused a problem the check engine light would come on. The PCM doesn't monitor what is happening after the Cats.

Jetsolver, what do you think on this? I agree that the PCM doesn't monitor what's happening after the cats, but doing things beyond the cats will affect things that go on BEFORE the cats. Don't believe me? Then weld your tailpipes shut and see what happens to your PCM. :fan: By changing mufflers you are affecting backpressure throughout the exhaust system...including where the O2 sensor is located. Maybe a muffler change on this car isn't a dramatic enough difference to change much (we've heard several sources say adding exhaust components to this car does not free up significant HP), but conceptually the possibility exists.

Dave

Jetsolver, what do you think on this? I agree that the PCM doesn't monitor what's happening after the cats, but doing things beyond the cats will affect things that go on BEFORE the cats. Don't believe me? Then weld your tailpipes shut and see what happens to your PCM. :fan: By changing mufflers you are affecting backpressure throughout the exhaust system...including where the O2 sensor is located. Maybe a muffler change on this car isn't a dramatic enough difference to change much (we've heard several sources say adding exhaust components to this car does not free up significant HP), but conceptually the possibility exists.

Dave

The O2 sensors monitor oxygen content IE fuel mixture and adjust accordingly. Welding the pipes shut is a little extreme as the engine would just die. Most of the backpressure is at the Cats not the mufflers! I talked to an engineer at Ford Techline and he said changing mufflers would not affect engine controls.

Did you install yourself? If you did you have problem with alignment? Because this weekend I could get the passenger side on due to hook is off set. Even on the driver side is not on the center. Could you attach some close up pictures how your is lining up. I will call Magnaflow to see if they will give me a new set. Your comments is appreciated

Did you install yourself? If you did you have problem with alignment? Because this weekend I could get the passenger side on due to hook is off set. Even on the driver side is not on the center. Could you attach some close up pictures how your is lining up. I will call Magnaflow to see if they will give me a new set. Your comments is appreciated

yes. i installed myself..fit up great...you have to remove all the hanger bolts to do the job right..the clamps are hard to get tight,i had to retighten after running it for a while. looks good...

carshow10a.jpg

yes. i installed myself..fit up great...you have to remove all the hanger bolts to do the job right..the clamps are hard to get tight,i had to retighten after running it for a while. looks good...

carshow10a.jpg

Thanks for the respond. I did removed hanger brackets per their instructions. Since I know a sale guy at Magnaflow he suggested that I might bring my car down to their RD to verify the problem I have. Since you did have a problem it properbly quality issue. Since this new product for them they just want to make sure it all check out. One more thing the P/N for this axle back is 15882 correct?

Dave

Dave, I agree with you that axlebacks can affect things regardless of no sensors past the cats. On 05/06 GTs there have been many cases that it forced the ECU into limp-home mode.

I suspect they're saying to disconnect the battery, so that when the engine is refired-up, the EC will retrain on all sensor values starting from the default values as opposed to starting with the existing already-trained (on the stock set-up) values. The ECU logic is very sophisticated now, even gradually adjusting to driving 'style' in some models.

Don't know the details of the GT500 ECU logic (which is undoubtedly sophisticated and propriatary) but I would not be at all suprised if the battery disconnect is merely to permit a quicker 'retrain' on the axle-backs AND to reduce the risk of a default to limp-home settings -- remember, they don't know what else you may be changing at the same time either, so as a general instruction, the battery disconnect makes sense to me. Just my opinion.

-Dan

Thanks for the respond. I did removed hanger brackets per their instructions. Since I know a sale guy at Magnaflow he suggested that I might bring my car down to their RD to verify the problem I have. Since you did have a problem it properbly quality issue. Since this new product for them they just want to make sure it all check out. One more thing the P/N for this axle back is 15882 correct?

yes...15882 is what i used...

Archived