TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What in the hell is that!?!

Gentlemen,

There is something about driving around in a Mustang with two broad stripes running length wise over the top that invites a challenge. These encounters are a lot more fun today than they were when I was a kid growing up in the early-1970s. Back then, a brief street challenge would often end with the loser cursing, threatening, or wanting to fight. Today, win or lose, both participants almost always smile and give each other the thumbs up. A definite improvement.

I discovered an unusual and unexpected benefit to owning a supercharged Shelby GT. Lower and safer speed's. 200 more horsepower and far more performance = slower, shorter challenges. I am not advocating street racing. But from time to time in the absence of traffic when two high-performance cars end up side by side, we seem to be genetically preprogrammed to briefly let it rip to see whose car is faster. If the vehicles are evenly matched participants tend to let the contest go on too long resulting in dangerously high speeds. But when one car absolutely blows the challenger into the weeds, it's over in seconds at a relatively low speed. Three to four seconds is all the GT/SC requires to dispatch all but the most capable automotive hardware built anywhere in the world.

Afterword, the most common reaction is some good natured variation of, "What the hell is that!?!"

On my way home from dinner tonight an unusual automobile made great haste to catch up to me and come alongside. It was a 1970s vintage Datsun 240-Z with a high-rise intake manifold and air cleaner sticking up through a hole in the hood. It sounded like a header equipped, small block Chevy V-8 had been stuffed under the hood. Even with my windows up and the air conditioner on it wasn't hard to hear him down shift to second gear (we were doing about 40 mph), gun his car briefly and then hold his position beside me. There was no traffic in front of us. The moment he heard me rev match as I headed for second gear he took off and was instantly two car lengths ahead. Clutch out, foot to the floor, and a supercharger whine that sounded like a Garrett jet engine spooling up, accompanied the neck snapping acceleration that reeled in the little V-8 Z car instantly. Within a couple seconds I was by him, two car lengths ahead, off the throttle, on the brakes, and back to the speed limit. We never hit 70 mph. Great fun for both participants!

The Z car driver rolled his window down, gave me the thumbs up, and shouted, "What the hell is that?" "I have never been smoked like that before". It's a Shelby. And we went our separate ways.

The Shelby GT/SCs fairly innocuous appearance conceals a large dose of Cobra venom. Kind of like a young man that the entire town knows is a fine tennis player. But almost nobody in the town knows he's a fifth degree black belt. Easy to challenge, tough to defeat, and most fights are over....almost before they start.

I pulled into my garage when I got home, got out and listened to the tick, tick, tick, of hot metal as it cools and contracts slightly. I never tire of studying the lines and simple styling of the little white Mustang. My mind replayed that drive home, another small footnote in the rich 45 year Shelby history that spans the globe from Riverside to Le Mans. What a great car.

Chip

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gentlemen,

There is something about driving around in a Mustang with two broad stripes running length wise over the top that invites a challenge. These encounters are a lot more fun today than they were when I was a kid growing up in the early-1970s. Back then, a brief street challenge would often end with the loser cursing, threatening, or wanting to fight. Today, win or lose, both participants almost always smile and give each other the thumbs up. A definite improvement.

I discovered an unusual and unexpected benefit to owning a supercharged Shelby GT. Lower and safer speed's. 200 more horsepower and far more performance = slower, shorter challenges. I am not advocating street racing. But from time to time in the absence of traffic when two high-performance cars end up side by side, we seem to be genetically preprogrammed to briefly let it rip to see whose car is faster. If the vehicles are evenly matched participants tend to let the contest go on too long resulting in dangerously high speeds. But when one car absolutely blows the challenger into the weeds, it's over in seconds at a relatively low speed. Three to four seconds is all the GT/SC requires to dispatch all but the most capable automotive hardware built anywhere in the world.

Afterword, the most common reaction is some good natured variation of, "What the hell is that!?!"

On my way home from dinner tonight and unusual automobile made great haste to catch up to me and come alongside. It was a 1970s vintage Datsun 240-Z with a high-rise intake manifold and air cleaner sticking up through a hole in the hood. It sounded like a header equipped, small block Chevy V-8 had been stuffed under the hood. Even with my windows up and the air conditioner on it wasn't hard to hear him down shift to second gear (we were doing about 40 mph), gun his car briefly and then hold his position beside me. There was no traffic in front of us. The moment he heard me rev match as I headed for second gear he took off and was instantly two car lengths ahead. Clutch out, foot to the floor, and a supercharger whine that sounded like a Garrett jet engine spooling up, accompanied the neck snapping acceleration that reeled in the little V-8 Z car instantly. Within a couple seconds I was by him, two car lengths ahead, off the throttle, on the brakes, and back to the speed limit. We never hit 70 mph. Great fun for both participants!

The Z car driver rolled his window down, gave me the thumbs up, and shouted, "What the hell is that?" "I have never been smoked like that before". It's a Shelby. And we went our separate ways.

The Shelby GT/SCs fairly innocuous appearance conceals a large dose of Cobra venom. Kind of like a young man that the entire town knows is a fine tennis player. But almost nobody in the town knows he's a fifth degree black belt. Easy to challenge, tough to defeat, and most fights are over....almost before they start.

I pulled into my garage when I got home, got out and listened to the tick, tick, tick, of hot metal as it cools and contracts slightly. I never tire of studying the lines and simple styling of the little white Mustang. My mind replayed that drive home, another small footnote in the rich 45 year Shelby history that spans the globe from Riverside to Le Mans. What a great car.

Chip

Chip I stare at my car alot too...I agree I do not think I will ever tire of the lines on these cars ...great story! Thanks.

Nice story. It's always fun blowing off a little steam. Too many times here in So Cal little rice burners pull up, wing the weedeater on roids and it's game on. I laugh when I see the front wheel drive pull the wheel back and forth in my side rear view.

I've got a great freeway on-off ramp nearby that allows for WOT passes on a regular basis and has an escape ramp to the next exit if the Man is behind the bush at the merge. I know they hear me coming - and going back the other direction.

Someday they'll get me but I don't care.

Gentlemen,

On my way home from dinner tonight and unusual automobile made great haste to catch up to me and come alongside. It was a 1970s vintage Datsun 240-Z with a high-rise intake manifold and air cleaner sticking up through a hole in the hood. It sounded like a header equipped, small block Chevy V-8 had been stuffed under the hood. Even with my windows up and the air conditioner on it wasn't hard to hear him down shift to second gear (we were doing about 40 mph), gun his car briefly and then hold his position beside me. There was no traffic in front of us. The moment he heard me rev match as I headed for second gear he took off and was instantly two car lengths ahead. Clutch out, foot to the floor, and a supercharger whine that sounded like a Garrett jet engine spooling up, accompanied the neck snapping acceleration that reeled in the little V-8 Z car instantly. Within a couple seconds I was by him, two car lengths ahead, off the throttle, on the brakes, and back to the speed limit. We never hit 70 mph. Great fun for both participants!

Chip

Can't tell you how many times I sat in my garage contemplating how great this care looks in white and silver stripes , Ihave owned so many great cars , and the only one I felt the same from a visual aspect was my British Racing Geen 1967 XKE, an icon in auto design .........But I'll be dam'd if this car isn't right up there ................ZDS

Thanks for the story. Be safe while your having fun.

I havent ran into any that I can play with when I have been in the SS.

MM

I'll give you a run for it Michael. Let's say a quarter mile race and you give me a 1 mile head start!!!! That would make it close assuming you don't cheat at the start!!!

:car:

Hope all is well for the new family in the South end of GA.

Chip - Great story...I just love the looks of this car so much that I bought a 1:18 scale model of my SGT vert and put it on the shelf in my office. Even without the SC, these cars have amazing power - can't imagine what your's can do!!

Andy

That was a great story!

I've noticed that this little car even inspires the need for speed in those that drive sub-performance cars.

I get tested by 10 times the normal, everyday soccer-mom-mobiles than when I've been driving any other car in the past.

Honestly, it gets old. Now that the new has settled in, I find myself selectively choosing my road battles and hoping that a Vette or Porsche will appear from the next on-ramp.

One glance at the word "Shelby" and every average Joe on the road morphs into Helio Castroneves!

Gentlemen,

But when one car absolutely blows the challenger into the weeds, it's over in seconds at a relatively low speed. Three to four seconds is all the GT/SC requires to dispatch all but the most capable automotive hardware built anywhere in the world.

Chip

Chip:

With that beautiful stable of cars you have, this means even more!

Great story. :)

Gentlemen,

On my way home from dinner tonight an unusual automobile made great haste to catch up to me and come alongside. It was a 1970s vintage Datsun 240-Z with a high-rise intake manifold and air cleaner sticking up through a hole in the hood. It sounded like a header equipped, small block Chevy V-8 had been stuffed under the hood. Even with my windows up and the air conditioner on it wasn't hard to hear him down shift to second gear (we were doing about 40 mph), gun his car briefly and then hold his position beside me. There was no traffic in front of us. The moment he heard me rev match as I headed for second gear he took off and was instantly two car lengths ahead. Clutch out, foot to the floor, and a supercharger whine that sounded like a Garrett jet engine spooling up, accompanied the neck snapping acceleration that reeled in the little V-8 Z car instantly. Within a couple seconds I was by him, two car lengths ahead, off the throttle, on the brakes, and back to the speed limit. We never hit 70 mph. Great fun for both participants!

Chip

Chip - I 100% absolutely love your story telling prowess. I also 100% love the GT/SC and plan on having one soon enough.

Swede

It's a 500 HP Whipple.

post-12804-1224645070_thumb.jpg

Okay, since I sold you the Whipple I still want to see the RWHP and torque Numbers! Mine were 450 RWHP and 438 ftlbs. Add the 15% for drive train 517hp. I had so much fun coming back from Atlanta Saturday night after MPH got their hands on the KB. Driving on I85 north is like being 5 wide at Talladega at speed in a Cup race (Nascar for those outside of replica/stock car racing). The rear tires will spin shifting from 3 to 4th with the Traction control ON. With all this info why change to a 3:73 or 4:10 gear? But I did see a '03 or '04 COBRA with a 4V engine, SVT supercharged, twin turbos, and 2 stage nitro injectors...something about peeling the facial skin off.

post-13173-1224769353_thumb.jpg

post-13173-1224769353_thumb.jpg

Great analysis, great story.

I had a similar thing happen with a modified Mustang, almost identical results. When we came up to the light, it was, "What the HELL is IN that thing? It went 'wheeeeEEEEEE'!"

Chatted for a minute, exchanged thumbs-up, and went on our way when the light turned green. Great fun!

Gentlemen,

It has become apparent that there is one group of drivers that will not smile and give the thumbs up to a Shelby GT driver after you smoke them. That would be BMW drivers, especially those who drive M models. Over the last two months I have had numerous encounters with that German mark. A serious and surly lot of individuals who do not like to be humiliated.

On my way to the Apple store to get my disastrous iPhone worked on today, I found myself at an intersection with a BMW M-series Z4. I was futzing with my iPod when the light turned green and that Z4 lit up his back tires and was gone. I tossed the iPod into the back seat and the little Shelby GT/SC made the jump to hyperspace. I caught the Z4 just before I hit second gear. My back tires jumped sideways about a foot at the shift before the traction control brought things back in line. Two seconds later I was two car lengths ahead and on the brakes. At the next stoplight the BMW drivers wife was laughing and she gave me the thumbs up but her husband would not even look at me. He appeared to be stunned and was wound up tighter than a Swiss watch waiting for the light to turn green again. He obviously intended to correct that aberration at the next light change. Without an iPod in my hand the GT/SC handed him his head on a platter before we cleared the intersection or reached the speed limit. Still no thumbs up?? Where's the love man??

After spending an extra $20,000 for that "M" option, I suppose he expected a different result.

Shy of a good running Z-06, a Carrera Turbo, or something equally exotic, it doesn't seem to matter what anybody drives, or how they drive, or how I drive, or who gets the jump. Leave the traction control on, and step on the gas. That's it. You're gone and they're toast. The GT/SC makes you feel like a gladiator in a stadium full of invalids.

BMW-M drivers do not appear to enjoy the show however. Their view of the Shelby GT trunk emblem through the windshield of their Ultimate Driving Machine appears to make them cranky.

Chip

Gentlemen,

It has become apparent that there is one group of drivers that will not smile and give the thumbs up to a Shelby GT driver after you smoke them. That would be BMW drivers, especially those who drive M models. Over the last two months I have had numerous encounters with that German mark. A serious and surly lot of individuals who do not like to be humiliated.

After spending an extra $20,000 for that "M" option, I suppose he expected a different result.

BMW-M drivers do not appear to enjoy the show however. Their view of the Shelby GT trunk emblem through the windshield of their Ultimate Driving Machine appears to make them cranky.

Chip

:drool::shift: :happy feet:

Archived