TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Alarm Suggestion

now that after 1 1/2 years my scoop and stripes issue is over (for now at least) its time to get an alarm of some type, would love some suggestions from people who are happy with theirs, as far as brand, performance and minimal install hassles ie damage from installers, thanks

now that after 1 1/2 years my scoop and stripes issue is over (for now at least) its time to get an alarm of some type, would love some suggestions from people who are happy with theirs, as far as brand, performance and minimal install hassles ie damage from installers, thanks

There are allot of aftermarket alarm companies in the marketplace, but in my opinion, no aftermarket alarm system is any better, and in many cases can be more unreliable, than the factory security system. It is a fully intergrated system that covers the ignition system, motion, hood release, etc, etc.

But having said all that, even the best and most sophisticated alarm system can be defeated, so my personal philosophy is to just stick with stock but add rendundancy to it.

You could add a hidden fuel pump kill switch for example. Either utilize an exsisting switch or install one of your own. That also holds true for a ignition kill switch too. I once knew a fellow who set up his kill switch so that the only way you could start the car would be to push the cigarette lighter in first, flip the kill switch to the on postion, then turn the ignition key to start the car.

Adding a vehicle tracking device and service like Lo jack is also a good idea, and some insurance companies will give you a discount on your theft policy if you have the service. The old addage is that if someone really wants steal your car, they will do whatever they can to take it from you. While that might be true, with a tracking/recovery device imbedded in the car, you at least have a fighting chance to get the car back if it's taken.

But this is just my opinion, and I'm sure that there are many other good ones on the subject. Maybe an active or retired LEO could jump in an give their opinions about car alarm systems.

Good luck.

I went the route of leaving as is what security came with the car and added LoJack. I live in San Diego, which is pretty close to the border with Mexico. LoJack will give me the best chance of having the car found before it can be taken across the border. I did talk with current and retired LEOs. They echoed what Son of GT posted -- if someone wants your car badly enough, they will steal it so you should have a plan for recovering the car (intact, hopefully) after the theft.

Jim

There are allot of aftermarket alarm companies in the marketplace, but in my opinion, no aftermarket alarm system is any better, and in many cases can be more unreliable, than the factory security system. It is a fully intergrated system that covers the ignition system, motion, hood release, etc, etc.

But having said all that, even the best and most sophisticated alarm system can be defeated, so my personal philosophy is to just stick with stock but add rendundancy to it.

You could add a hidden fuel pump kill switch for example. Either utilize an exsisting switch or install one of your own. That also holds true for a ignition kill switch too. I once knew a fellow who set up his kill switch so that the only way you could start the car would be to push the cigarette lighter in first, flip the kill switch to the on postion, then turn the ignition key to start the car.

Adding a vehicle tracking device and service like Lo jack is also a good idea, and some insurance companies will give you a discount on your theft policy if you have the service. The old addage is that if someone really wants steal your car, they will do whatever they can to take it from you. While that might be true, with a tracking/recovery device imbedded in the car, you at least have a fighting chance to get the car back if it's taken.

But this is just my opinion, and I'm sure that there are many other good ones on the subject. Maybe an active or retired LEO could jump in an give their opinions about car alarm systems.

Good luck.

thanks i had totally spaced out and forgot about lo jack, guess inactive advertising doesn't sell. i remember i used to hear their ads all the time, i agree that's the best route

Word of Caution here.....

A friend of mine had a 96 GT that was his pride and joy...took it and had a new stereo installed AND an alarm...we were out of town on business and his girlfriend called him wanting to know if we had got back into town...his car was stolen from a secure parking garage where he lived...no glass anywhere...I believe the installer(s) came and got his car...they had access to his address, the car, all of that...they also got a 96 Cobra out of the same garage a few days later...I don't trust noone when it comes to my car.....

Archived