TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Factory Ford NAV..

08redgt500

I have the factory NAV in my '08 GT500, and it is really one of the worst navigation aids I have ever used. I've had these in my cars, as factory installed options, since the 2000 model year, first one being in a MB ML430. My daily driver, an '07 Acura RL has one too, and it works great, especially the traffic info. This one in the GT500 invariably takes the worst route to places whenever I use it, and even when I over-ride it by taking what I know is a better way, it takes forever to get a clue. I know it's a Pioneer product, you can tell from the Pioneer branding on the NAV disk. The car I traded in had an aftermarket Pioneer unit I had installed, and it worked great, so I am a bit mystified by how dumb this one is. Anyone have issues with their factory installed NAV?

I agree it is dumb. I didn't want it but the car I found had it in I have an 09. I recently moved and bought the car and was trying to find a post office. I knew I was close but couldn't find it. Asked somebody and it happened to be the main Post Office for Fort Collins, CO. I was siting in the Post Office(main office) parking lot and it the NAV told me the nearest one was 5 miles away.

It seems that most nav units are not that great. A friend of mine has a new Mercedes sport ute with nav. On the way home one night she searched for a Jack in the box. The unit claimed the closest one was in the next state. There was one just down the road. I would not trust one of these units with my life but I do like the touch screen radio.....

All they woudl need to do is pay MS for the Street and Trips software, it does work great! I agree, the touch screen radio is a very nice feature. Thta's all I use it for.......my GT500 is never parked on public parking lots, so I don't use teh Nav.

Guest markham51
I have the factory NAV in my '08 GT500, and it is really one of the worst navigation aids I have ever used. I've had these in my cars, as factory installed options, since the 2000 model year, first one being in a MB ML430. My daily driver, an '07 Acura RL has one too, and it works great, especially the traffic info. This one in the GT500 invariably takes the worst route to places whenever I use it, and even when I over-ride it by taking what I know is a better way, it takes forever to get a clue. I know it's a Pioneer product, you can tell from the Pioneer branding on the NAV disk. The car I traded in had an aftermarket Pioneer unit I had installed, and it worked great, so I am a bit mystified by how dumb this one is. Anyone have issues with their factory installed NAV?

I know the feeling. My wife's Lexus has the worst system when it comes to large cities. One time in Torono it took me down 3 dead end streets in one trip. My Range Rover has the best.

At some point you will be able to upgrade your Nav CD and it could solve your issues. As far as locating points of interest is concerned...I have at least a half dozen nav systems in different vehicles plus a portable Garmin Nuvi and POIs are hit and miss in every one of them.

My Iphone is 10x better than any gps device....and it goes in all my cars!!

It was hit or miss in Terlingua though since service is spotty there. (non existent for 80 miles). But there was nothing to find there either. No gas stations or food or lodging.

After having a chance to look at so many other cars there, I think I am sold to upgrade my shaker 1000 with a touch screen like it should have been offered with. It needs to have seemless Ipod interface, sirius since I already have the bug on the trunk, HD, lots of power, and a red illumination. (im in the process of changing all light in the car to red)

Notice I didnt put down nav...I figure if I have to look down to read a nav screen while Im driving, its gonna get me killed. If it has it, fine, extra novelty...but it is just that right now.

Anyone have a suggestion for a brand or model to go with? I really liked the eclipse I saw there...

I have been very happy with my navigation unit. Granted, I don't use it as extensively as some of you do here, but the color graphics, the touch-screen interface, and the general accuracy of points of interest has been fine for me. I know it has a plethora of features I have not even tried out yet, but I guess the general rule is that NO navigation system is perfect....as newer map DVDs come out to update points, I think it will improve....

It's better than MAPQUEST!!!!!! :doh:

Sudguy4

havind had nav in cars, as well hand units in cars, I would NEVER buy nav built in. More so on the Shelby... I opted for the 1000 and am glad I did.... there are better units for sale under 200 bucks than what you get built in... and oh yea, when they need to be upgraded, you toss them away if you want, for the price.

The nav sucks and so does the mobile phone option for it. Whom ever designed the nav and blue tooth phone system for the Ford was a moron. The mobile ease that installs in these nav units wont even display the incoming phone number.....and the phone book wont even display on the screen! Ford should of put the Sync in Shelby.

My wife's Mercedes nav and phone system is the bomb! Just takes a bit to learn how to use the nav.

I want doppler radar.

One hour loop preferred.

Doppler is available on the '09 Acura NAV system, a very nice overlay that's provided by XM along with live traffic, and a bunch of other weather related services. The logic of the unit actually will do it's best to re-route you around severe weather. A very nice option for parts of the country that get golf ball sized hail on a regular basis. I'm about to start the quest for an after market head unit with similar features for the GT500. Sirius(owns XM) also has weather and traffic service if the unit supports it. The replacement will have the following: iPod/iPhone native interface, Blue Tooth (w/ stereo support), Intelligent NAV, 15GB internal drive, Sirius(w/ traffic & weather support), DVD video/audio support(yes I want to play videos while driviing, for hte passenger, my last head unit in the MB had it, also nice for DVD concert videos), and a 6 disc in dash CD/MP3/etc support. I believe Pioneer has a unit with all those features. The last Pioneer system I put in had all the features except the weather support, which wasn't offered at the time by Sirius/XM.

This is the only one I've ever used, so I cannot compare with anything. I had noticed it will take some odd routes, but assumed that could be tweaked through the interface, Like "most direct" or "fastest route".

Also, I thought it would be hard to use the screen, but haven't found that to be a problem. And my vision is certainly not 20/20.

I would not have ordered it, but am glad the car came with it. I love the media interface (touch screen).

Overall, it seems to work OK, the little I use it.

Unfortunately, I was born without a sense of direction. I have the Nav in my Shelby and the exact same unit in my 08 F150. We also have Nav in our 03 Expedition and I have a portable Magellan unit that is a few years old.

I like the Nav system in the Shelby, and have found it better and easier to use than the other systems I have used. It is not 100% accurate, but neither is mapquest or any other set of directions.

I also like that the Nav and stereo is one easy to use unit.

Bob Knudsen

Personally I love having it, and I feel it's a nice appearance addition to the interior. I was contemplating getting it when I got the Shelby, and I'm glad now that I have it in there. I used a TomTom in my work car and it's nice, but I'd rather have this one in the dash than have the TomTom on the window.

I don't have any other vehicles that have it installed so I can't compare it to other vehicles, but I'd say all in all it's a pretty decent unit.

I too, don't use it when I know where I'm going. IMO that's not the purpose of the GPS... The navigation helps me out when I DON'T know where I'm going :-)

My iPhone has a better NAV!, I'm NOT kidding. I'm in Quebec City right now on biz, and they had are area around Chateau Frontenac closed for security for the French Summit, my iPhone totally quided me around the closure.

The car I had on order did NOT have the NAV checked off, but fell into a car that had it already. Not very intuitive, my wifes 2008 MB C350, way easier to use.

If you have a choice do NOT spend the money....

I have a TomTom and it runs circles around the DVD system in my 05 BMW. An added benefit is an acceptable blue tooth connection. A fun item is you can choose from several cars/symbols and mine is a late model Blue with White stripe Shelby.

I ordered the car, without Nav. I've never seen a factory nav unit that was accurate as my $400 Garmin portable - and I get free online upgrades (new maps are extra). Worst case scenario is my motor home . . . came with a $2600 Pioneer DVD-based unit that they discontinued support and software upgrades for - before the coach was 2 years old!! I can buy a compatible upgrade unit for $1500!! NOT!

My issue with the navigation system is with the range. When I’m going down the interstate, it only recognizes gas stations, restaurants, etc, if they are within about 5 miles. If there are no stations within that range, nothing shows on the screen. Ford says this is normal. Is anybody else having this problem?

Mac

My iPhone has a better NAV!, I'm NOT kidding. I'm in Quebec City right now on biz, and they had are area around Chateau Frontenac closed for security for the French Summit, my iPhone totally quided me around the closure.

The car I had on order did NOT have the NAV checked off, but fell into a car that had it already. Not very intuitive, my wifes 2008 MB C350, way easier to use.

If you have a choice do NOT spend the money....

I too have an iPhone, and it is much better at navigation. Just expected more from the one in the car... :( Sidebar: try a free app called AroundMe, very handy..

Completely satisfied with the factory nav in the GT500, also because the touchscreen system is very nicely switchable to other things like the sound system. And the nav screen is nicely visible both day and night. Been in some cars where the screen is so placed, ad/or so lit, that it blanks out in sunlight or is just too small/hard to read. If you're driving, you obviously don't have time for more than a split-second glance at these things when you're moving.

Michael

I too have an iPhone, and it is much better at navigation. Just expected more from the one in the car... :( Sidebar: try a free app called AroundMe, very handy..

I Googled AroundMe and do you have a specific link available? Is it an upgrade we can cut to disk and install in our nav systems? That is what I have been looking for. A software upgrade that doesn't make you accept a stupid licensing agreement EVERY time you start the car. How about a change that doesn't make you stop to set a destination. That way my wife can program as I drive. I agree the system as delivered is pretty dense.....

Archived