TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP vs. Ford Dealer

3railbank

Perhaps some of our resident Ford dealers/parts managers can explain the difference in FRPP vs. the dealers regarding discrepancies in prices on identical parts. Obviously, the parts are made by the same supplier. For example, need a new stock GT500 wheel. The FRPP catalog has the price at $244 and the dealer ordered the same wheel and it is $500+. The parts guy says that they are two separate programs, two different parts numbers and I can go with that, but why double in price? I don't see justifying this by "stock on hand" or "inventory" costs since they have to order the part. The FRPP catalog came from a Ford dealer. Would that dealer sell at the lower price or is he bound to order from the Ford price list? I'll eat this one and chalk it up to experience, but would like to know if this is an individual dealer practice or commonplace with everyones experience in getting parts from the dealer. Thanks.

Perhaps some of our resident Ford dealers/parts managers can explain the difference in FRPP vs. the dealers regarding discrepancies in prices on identical parts. Obviously, the parts are made by the same supplier. For example, need a new stock GT500 wheel. The FRPP catalog has the price at $244 and the dealer ordered the same wheel and it is $500+. The parts guy says that they are two separate programs, two different parts numbers and I can go with that, but why double in price? I don't see justifying this by "stock on hand" or "inventory" costs since they have to order the part. The FRPP catalog came from a Ford dealer. Would that dealer sell at the lower price or is he bound to order from the Ford price list? I'll eat this one and chalk it up to experience, but would like to know if this is an individual dealer practice or commonplace with everyones experience in getting parts from the dealer. Thanks.

I DEALT WITH THE SAME BS SCAM FROM A DEALER IN MICHIGAN. I PURCHASED TWO WHEELS TO HAVE

THEM WIDEN ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT I COULD HAVE PURCHASED THEM FROM FRPP. I ONLY HAVE ONE

CONSOLATION AND THAT WAS I HAD A FRIEND WHO WORKED FOR DISCOUNT TIRE GET THEM

WHOLESALE , BUT THE WHEELS WERE STILL $ 3OO.OO EACH. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I WOULD ONLY HOPE THAT WE CAN CREATE A POST LIKE THIS ONE TO ADVISE OTHER OWNERS

TO PURCHASE FROM FRPP. FORD DEALERS AS WELL AS FORD CORPORATE ARE WONDERING

WHY THEY CAN NOT KEEP CUSTOMER LOYALTY.

Commonplace in every business, really. If there's room to pack on the mark-up, many dealers/vendors will do so, usually within reason.

Double the price? I'm not sure I could have swallowed that.

All dealers do that, from my experience. I went to get an air filter from my dealer for my Ford Expedition and they wanted $45.00. I told them forget it, then went online and got a K&N filter instead for less money. I could have gotten the standard Motorcraft filter online for $20 including shipping.

It's all about markup. My suggestion...find a new dealer. Many will sell aftermarket parts at MSRP. Take the part number in with you and tell them what MSRP is. I do that when I go to O'Meara, and they will usually drop their price to MSRP. Of course, they are usually only 10% over MSRP to start with.

I have on More Than one Occasion Complained to Ford About this. You can have an FRPP Part, Genuine Service Part and Genuine Ford Accessory Part and All Three are Virtually Identical but the Prices are All over the Board. Most Ford parts Guys do not look in Three Places to Get the Biggest Bang for the Customer simply because they may not be aware of that fact. In the End The Customer Gets a Bad perception of All Ford Dealers after they See the Part far Cheaper Somewhere else. I specialize in the 05 up Mustang Parts and I always Tell the Customer the Best Part to purchase up front. I look for the biggest bang for the Buck! And Somtimes that Means Sending them Down the Road. Now This is Using MSRP. Be Aware that any Dealer or FRPP Parts Supplier can Sell at whatever Price the Traffic Will bear so Prices can Also Vary with the exact Same PART Number Dealer to Dealer. Also be aware that Ford Racing is More Interested in Selling Mass Quanties of Parts to Mail Order Houses than Little Dealers and The Dealers cost is Far More than a Mail order Or Large Dealer That is a Stocking Dealer of FRPP Parts. Any Ford Dealer Can Order FRPP Parts but if they are not a Stocking Dealer they Only get 10% Off of MSRP and Since Most FRPP Stocking Dealers That Buy Deep Sell their Stuff Below MSRP There is not much Reason for a Dealer to Mess with it. If I sound a Little Frustrated with Ford I am. Customer Perception is Everything and The Price Fiasco is a Constant Pain in My Side. So I sell what I can that is competitively priced and Thats How i do Business. Now for the Other Masses not privy to this Info All Us Ford Dealers are Percieved as Crooks and that chaps my hide! Judging by the members comments my complaints to Ford were Right on the Money. Perhaps I should Send a Link of this Forum to my FORD Rep.

I was just at my dealer yesterday. While waiting to see if I could get approval for the clutch TSB(which I didn't BTW)I went into the parts dept. to get a price on the short throw shifter. The parts guy told me he could order it but wouldn't be able to give me a discount as they are not a FRPP dealer. He would give it to me at msrp. The other guy at the desk said they used to be an FRPP dealer but they didn't sell enough and to maintain that status they have to keep at least $10K worth of FRPP parts in stock.

Real simple. Parts from FRPP have NO warranty/guarantee because technically its a race part. So if you buy axles from the FRPP catalog and then break it at dragstrip [or on the street for that matter] your screwed, you have to buy a new axle.

If you buy that same axle from the dealer its twice as much because it has a warranty/guarantee and when it breaks you take it back to the dealer and they give you a new one. I wouldn't tell them you broke it at the track though.

I just avoid the dealer altogether for FRPP parts as well as Ford parts. You can get FRPP parts at a substantial savings at Tousley Ford or some of these other mail order outfits:

FRPP Parts:

Tousley Ford (1-800-328-9552 and ask for Steve or Kevin)

http://www.capaldiracing.com/isell3/?locat...bf8f373aae68e95

http://buyfordracing.com/

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/

Ford Parts:

http://www.directfordparts.com/partlocator...m?siteid=214290

Talking from experience, I'd personally go with Diversified if you have a choice. Their pricing is direct to you an no middleman. It's where many dealers order their addon/replacement parts from. They have much of FRPP 's catalog included in their ordering toolset. Part pricing is usually lower than street pricing, and with a little finnese on the phone, you make be able to have the rep taking your order even do better pricing than regular street pricing. These guys are also very knowledgeable about our beloved GT500s, Shelbys, and the rest of the upgrades available for Mustangs or SVT products for that matter.

OK, I guess it's up to me to come to the Parts Department's defense. It is true that a dealer has to follow certain guidelins to actually be a FRPP distributor. That includes stocking a certain dollar figure in parts. There are very few FRPP dealers (usually Large dealers). I/We as Shelby owners are more aware of FRPP than your average counterman at a Ford dealership. For the most part parts guys, like me, are looking out for the customer and try to give the best deal that we can but if we are not aware of a program we can't take advantage of it or advise our customer about it. Do yourself a favor and ask about FRPP parts the next ime you are looking for something. If you get that "Deer in the Headlights" look from the parts guy ask him if his Manager knows what you are talking about. Don't just assume that the guy is trying to rip you off.

OK, Carry On :blink:

This isn't geard towards you gardona... its just a rant since you brought up parts guys, but what irks me about parts guys is that they always think they know more than they guy asking for the part. Sure, many times I'm sure they do. But they always come at you right out of the box thinking they know everything.

Same thing with the tire sales men. I'll ask for a tire size and brand, and model and the first thing out of their mouth is "what kind of car is this going on?" and I'm think none of you f@#*ing business... it doesn't matter what kind of car its going on because for one its not the factory diameter or width so looking up my car is not gonna help and two, maybe i'm building a giant go cart or a tire coffee table or perhaps I need it for a bon fire. I know what size tire I need. Just look up the god d@^# tire and tell me do you have that size and if so how much is it!!!?

Archived