TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR ( WHAT DOES A TUNER DO)

Hello,

I am kinda new to the modifing of non carb/ old school motors, what can be done to increase performance without cracking open the motor and adding parts.

I have been reading about those tuners>?, I have a 2009 GT500KR coming and I want to tweak it a bit, any advise on what and which brand I should go with.

Thank you very much

Not sure where you're located. The best way to get the ultimate from a tune is to run your car on a dyno.

The operator will monitor the HP/torque and air fuel curves. They adjust the timing and fuel mixture to make as much HP as possible. You can buy some "canned tunes" based on what engine tuners program a large sample of similar vehicles with and is probably 90% correct. When you buy a tune they provide you with a flasher that connects to your car and you upload a tune to your ECM. You then retain the tuner device.

So far, my real experience is with Brenspeed and a Mustang GT. The car acts totally different (more performance) after being flashed with his tune. The master of GT500's is Justin at VMP.

Not sure where you're located. The best way to get the ultimate from a tune is to run your car on a dyno.

The operator will monitor the HP/torque and air fuel curves. They adjust the timing and fuel mixture to make as much HP as possible. You can buy some "canned tunes" based on what engine tuners program a large sample of similar vehicles with and is probably 90% correct. When you buy a tune they provide you with a flasher that connects to your car and you upload a tune to your ECM. You then retain the tuner device.

So far, my real experience is with Brenspeed and a Mustang GT. The car acts totally different (more performance) after being flashed with his tune. The master of GT500's is Justin at VMP.

or Jon Lund in PA

I have an SCT, but I think they pretty much all operate the same.

• Your car comes with a tune already programmed into it's computer.
  • What the tuner actually does is stores engine operating parameters (the program or tune).
  • To change your tune, you plug in the tuner, it downloads and stores your existing stock tune, and takes one of the tunes stored on the tuner and uploads (programs) the car's computer.
  • To put it back the way it was, you plug the tuner in the car, it downloads and stores the cusomized tune from the car, and uploads the original stock tune.

You can create a custom tune on a dyno as described above, made specifically for your car. Also, shops like Lethal and Evolution have done hundreds of dyno runs, and have custom tunes that you can buy off-the-shelf for your car's configuration, including gas octane rating.

I bought the SCT from Evolution with an off-the-shelf "custom" tune (you get a package deal), and the car runs great. I recommend getting tunes for two octane grades, 'cause you never know what you're going to be able to buy.

I'm not knocking anybody else at all, I only have experience with Evo.

The tuners also read and clear error codes, if you ever need to do that, and the higher end tuners can be left on the car and record engine parameters over the full operating range.

[edit] By the way, I just ran over to Terlingua and back. Seat of the pants, the car is a LOT quicker than stock (with just the tune and CAI), and pulls much harder. On previous long haul trips running about 85 mph, I got about 20 mpg. After the CAI/Tune, I got 22 mpg highway.

The other economy difference I saw was that with stock I got peak mileage at close to 85 mph. With the CAI/Tune, I got peak economy (just over 24 mpg) at 70 mph. That was interesting. Stock, I got worse mileage at 70 mph than at 85, so it seems the car is behaving more like you would expect with the custom tune.

To determine the economy, I ran two gallons out of the car with cruise control set, then changed speed setting and did it again. It takes a long drive and patience. I ran a half-gallon at 65 - it's all I could stand, and the mileage was MUCH worse - it really drops off in both cases.

Anyway, that's my car - your mileage may vary. Ha-ha.

Archived