TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Job 2 Mods to the GT500

mrfarmdog

I just got off the phone with SVT and they said Job 2 starts 12/5 and will include upgrades to the suspension including upgraded shocks and suspension tuning. Also a navigation system will be available as an option as well.

I also confirmed the shaker 1000 off hold and have changed the order on my vert!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. Does that mean you'll be getting the job 2 suspension? That would be great!

They way I interpret it is that anything that is pulled after 12/5 gets the upgraded suspension. Perhaps this was designed to help the wheel hop issue...

I just got off the phone with SVT and they said Job 2 starts 12/5 and will include upgrades to the suspension including upgraded shocks and suspension tuning. Also a navigation system will be available as an option as well.

I also confirmed the shaker 1000 off hold and have changed the order on my vert!!!

Why are they changing option packages mid stream & not waiting until MY08?

Did they say they would recall the Job1 cars for the suspension upgrades?

I need to know my car is slated to be built next week & I'm willing to wait if this is all true!

All I know is what I posted. Don't know anything about recalls either. Just passing know tidbits.

The way it was phrased to me was that they were making the suspension "more robust". No more details other that shocks and tuning. Now that is absolutely all that I know :hysterical:

Ford (and most manufacturers) make running changes throughout each model year. Doesn't mean that the "old" parts were bad or defective, just that an improvement has been made. Reminds me of my 1989 Mustang 5.0L LX Sport that I bought brand new in the spring of '89. Early '89's came with low back seats and an 85 mph speedometer. 1989.5 LX's got the GT interior with high back seats and a 140 mph speedometer. Then even later 1989's (starting in April) got the 25th anniversary badge on the dash. Small refinements throughout the year that likely made buyers of early 1989's a little peeved.

mrfarmdog,

very interesting. i spoke with ralph arning at ford svt just last week. i did ask him about job 2. he indicated to me that the only change was the navigation system option. maybe something changed since i talked to him? was it ralph arning that you spoke to?

This is going to be a very hot thread. :lurk:

rufdraft,

no doubt. if these changes are going occur mid year, i can't imagine ford not retrofitting the earlier deliveries with the suspension changes. you would basically have about 4,000 gt500's with different (maybe even inferior suspensions). there would be some serious pushback on this for those of us with early deliveries. sounds like the waiting game is on as this develops.

I would hope Ford would recall & upgrade the cars that are already built.

If they don`t I think there will be a few upset people

I want some of what you're having! :woohoo:

I most certainly can't speak for everyone, but as far as I'm concerned, Ford owes me nothing but warranty service. I bought an early car with the assumption that they'd have some tweaks mid-year or at the very least on year 2 of production. They had a lot of mules on the road and did a lot of tests/focus groups, but now they have a few thousand on the road and can get real world feedback. I'd be disappointed if they DIDN'T make the tweaks.

I do wish they made the power passenger seat and heaters (both) available in the first gen cars, but so be it. Perhaps they'll make the nav a swap out unit (no, not free).

As for the suspension, I personally think it's amazing. I had a professional driver friend of mine take the car for a spin and they were really surprised at the performance. My first drive in it was nearly 500 miles and it was fantastic.

So, maybe you're right....maybe some people will be pissed off at the fact that Ford was working to improve the car, but I doubt it. Just like those that paid above MSRP....we all know the "fee" for being one of the first.

:shift:

bj

vnmous

I agree if it is an option that is being introduced but if it is a mechanical change i.e suspension I would be little upset as this car has been tested for months on end, Not to mention it has only been in production for 4mos. Coupled with the fact we all paid top dollar whether it was m.s.r.p or more.

I most certainly can't speak for everyone, but as far as I'm concerned, Ford owes me nothing but warranty service. I bought an early car with the assumption that they'd have some tweaks mid-year or at the very least on year 2 of production. They had a lot of mules on the road and did a lot of tests/focus groups, but now they have a few thousand on the road and can get real world feedback. I'd be disappointed if they DIDN'T make the tweaks.

I do wish they made the power passenger seat and heaters (both) available in the first gen cars, but so be it. Perhaps they'll make the nav a swap out unit (no, not free).

As for the suspension, I personally think it's amazing. I had a professional driver friend of mine take the car for a spin and they were really surprised at the performance. My first drive in it was nearly 500 miles and it was fantastic.

So, maybe you're right....maybe some people will be pissed off at the fact that Ford was working to improve the car, but I doubt it. Just like those that paid above MSRP....we all know the "fee" for being one of the first.

bj

I'm with you Vnmous1. I'm happy to have been driving for the last 2 months. :woohoo:

bj

VNMOUS1,

i am definitely happy to see that ford is continuing to improve the gt500. although i am nowhere near ready to say that i am "experienced" at driving this car (1300 miles), i do agree that the handling is outstanding and far superior to any car i have previously driven. in my mind the car is everything i hoped it would be and then some. from my perspective, power pass seats and seat heaters are a nice feature but IF (and that is speculation at this point) they are making changes/improvements mid year to the suspension, that is another matter to me. it just sounds like a potential recall to me based on the importance of the change and how ford has marketed this car. if they do make this change and don't recall the "early birds", that is fine with me. i knew this going into it and accept it. as you said, that is part of the fee/gamble of early ownership. i will still be extremely happy with my car no matter what happens.

I would think Ford would recall early Shelby's if there's a safety or mechanical reliability issue. Otherwise (just my 2c), if it's only a matter of tweaks - no. This holds true for probably many cars. I wouldn't be happy, for example, if Ford came out with a GT engine option right now - but I'd get over it.

bj

+1

Ford doesn't owe me a thing. Recalls are for safety problems, not for retrofitting cars with the latest upgrades and enhancements.

I have no major complaints with this car. If there is a substantial upgrade to the suspension, then the parts will be available, and I might put them on. Probably not, though. The combination of parts on my car is the way it came, and I love it the way it is. I'm one of those rare people on this site who likes his cars stock though....

I would think Ford would recall early Shelby's if there's a safety or mechanical reliability issue. Otherwise (just my 2c), if it's only a matter of tweaks - no. This holds true for probably many cars. I wouldn't be happy, for example, if Ford came out with a GT engine option right now - but I'd get over it.

Ruf,

Exactly! If it's a little better/stronger/etc, that's what's expected....whether it's 4 months, 4 years or 4 days. Unless it's safety or mechanical, you get what you paid for.

bj

Funny huh? They've been developing the car for years, the first couple/few thousand come out and....oops, we should've used these parts instead..... :doh::doh::doh:

Either way makes no nevermind to me as I got to enjoy and get used to the car and have already started my "winter mod" list based on what's been done so far.....and yes control arms are on the list

Funny huh? They've been developing the car for years, the first couple/few thousand come out and....oops, we should've used these parts instead..... :doh::doh::doh:

Either way makes no nevermind to me as I got to enjoy and get used to the car and have already started my "winter mod" list based on what's been done so far.....and yes control arms are on the list

When I was making auto parts the ONLY time we had to do an (running ) engineering change mid stream was due to customer complaints, flaws found by dealers or if it was a reliability issue. One time it was due to interior warping of the plastic due to HIGH heat in Arizona when the windows were rolled up for long periods of time w/o air turned on. (yes, a parked car)

The suspension updates indicates to me that their may be too much twisting in the chassis & causing the Shaker 1000 brackets to break in the convertibles & the only fix was to stiffen the suspension up on both the coupe & vert to off set customer concerns because it was done to both cars & to top it off they decided to offer a Navigation system to throw us & the Magazine reporters off the scent of bad parts so they don't get bad PR on the Golden Egg car.

I just got word @ 8:41 pm that the naviagation system is a go for JOB2, but that's it for the GT500. This comes from a VERY VERY VERY Reliable source....TRUST ME!

Now I just need to find out how much more it will cost & to have it install after I get my car built next week :doh:

navigation, shcmavigation.

I could care less about an option like that. How 'bout doing things to speed up production instead of slowing it down. Flood the market, bring the price down. I want my damn car.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Oct 11 2006, 04:16 PM) 49230[/snapback]

Ford (and most manufacturers) make running changes throughout each model year. Doesn't mean that the "old" parts were bad or defective, just that an improvement has been made. Reminds me of my 1989 Mustang 5.0L LX Sport that I bought brand new in the spring of '89. Early '89's came with low back seats and an 85 mph speedometer. 1989.5 LX's got the GT interior with high back seats and a 140 mph speedometer. Then even later 1989's (starting in April) got the 25th anniversary badge on the dash. Small refinements throughout the year that likely made buyers of early 1989's a little peeved.

+1. At our company we call these "batched" changes. Why wait until '08 to make a fix that you can make today? Sometimes they aren't necessarily "fixes" or enhancements, but cost reductions...so some of the changes may be things you DON'T want. Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

I managed an assembly line where a "batch" included a change to move from a black o-ring to a red one. The chemical makeup was exactly the same. The reason for the change was that there were two o-rings that were nearly the same size, and this change made it more "foolproof" to put the wrong one in the wrong place. :sos:

Dave

they decided to offer a Navigation system to throw us & the Magazine reporters off the scent of bad parts so they don't get bad PR on the Golden Egg car.

Sounds like you went to the RUFSTANG school of automotive journalism. Golden egg car...that's funny. :hysterical:

Dave

navigation, shcmavigation.

I could care less about an option like that. How 'bout doing things to speed up production instead of slowing it down. Flood the market, bring the price down. I want my damn car.

This car is so fast that the only thing a nav system will do is save your brakes...you'll only pass your destination by 1/4 mile rather than 5 miles. "Beep beep...you have just passed your destination of .....International House of Pancakes."

Dave

Edith - warm up my enema, will ya? :finger:

Enema? Isn't that a person you don't like?

Oh...wait...that's an enemy...nevermind. :fan:

Dave

...what's that about my school of journalism?.....

Explication? Or face the Harrier....

Why would it matter when improvements take place? We buy everything based on "its as good as it is now."

Journalism? I don't write for AP anymore...

Archived