TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help Identfy? 775HP GT500 I saw today!

Craig_C

Ok, sorry for the long post here, being my first here and all, but I thought the story was a bit neccesary:

I was just at a local cruise night tonight (in Derby, CT) and I noticed a GT500 pull in, so of course I went over immediately to investigate. Owner got out, and I just kind of said "hi" and the usual small talk about the car, then he walked away....I'm wishing I looked a little closer at the car before he walked away!! On the OUTSIDE this looked like every other GT500 I've seen, it was blue with 2 white stripes, nothing out of the ordinary I would say...with the exception of the hood, which resembled the KR hood. Badging on the side just said GT500....however...under the hood was a little different story! The first thing that caught my eye was quite a bit of carbon fiber, yet it appeared to be all stock - didn't notice ANY aftermarket looking parts, right down to air filter appeared like it came this way! Nearly every single piece visable said either "SVT", "Ford Racing", "Shelby", or "Cobra" on it.

NOW the thing that REALLY set me off: I noticed fairly quickly a small badge on the drivers side directly behind the air filter, which had Carroll Shelby at the top, then horsepower and torque ratings listed.

IT SAID 775 HORSEPOWER AND 661 FT/LB TORQUE!! :drop:

?????

Valve covers clearly said "Hand built by Ford SVT/Carroll Shelby" and below had two signatures stamped in - 1 by builder, 2nd (I think) was like QA/QC person.

I was thinking Super Snake, but if it was, it was a sleeper, because it didn't look like ANY of the pictures of Super Snake's that I've seen. It was basically in stock GT500 trim. Inside seemed normal for a GT500, although with a Hurst shifter with a white ball top.

I tried to find the driver again, but there were a LOT of people there and he was lost in the crowd very quickly, and although I kept an eye out for him, about an 2 hours later I looked over and saw the car pulling out!! I was NOT happy that I'd missed him!

Does anyone have any idea what this was? Specially built unit, or one of a few re-done like super snake's, or....???

Ok, sorry for the long post here, being my first here and all, but I thought the story was a bit neccesary:

I was just at a local cruise night tonight (in Derby, CT) and I noticed a GT500 pull in, so of course I went over immediately to investigate. Owner got out, and I just kind of said "hi" and the usual small talk about the car, then he walked away....I'm wishing I looked a little closer at the car before he walked away!! On the OUTSIDE this looked like every other GT500 I've seen, it was blue with 2 white stripes, nothing out of the ordinary I would say...with the exception of the hood, which resembled the KR hood. Badging on the side just said GT500....however...under the hood was a little different story! The first thing that caught my eye was quite a bit of carbon fiber, yet it appeared to be all stock - didn't notice ANY aftermarket looking parts, right down to air filter appeared like it came this way! Nearly every single piece visable said either "SVT", "Ford Racing", "Shelby", or "Cobra" on it.

NOW the thing that REALLY set me off: I noticed fairly quickly a small badge on the drivers side directly behind the air filter, which had Carroll Shelby at the top, then horsepower and torque ratings listed.

IT SAID 775 HORSEPOWER AND 661 FT/LB TORQUE!! :drop:

?????

Valve covers clearly said "Hand built by Ford SVT/Carroll Shelby" and below had two signatures stamped in - 1 by builder, 2nd (I think) was like QA/QC person.

I was thinking Super Snake, but if it was, it was a sleeper, because it didn't look like ANY of the pictures of Super Snake's that I've seen. It was basically in stock GT500 trim. Inside seemed normal for a GT500, although with a Hurst shifter with a white ball top.

I tried to find the driver again, but there were a LOT of people there and he was lost in the crowd very quickly, and although I kept an eye out for him, about an 2 hours later I looked over and saw the car pulling out!! I was NOT happy that I'd missed him!

Does anyone have any idea what this was? Specially built unit, or one of a few re-done like super snake's, or....???

SVTBIRD91 George????

sounds like his ride

SVTBIRD91 George????

sounds like his ride

That would by my guess. There is a link here on the Mafia site so likely he'll see it and chime in.....maybe we can get some under hood pics :)

He is running the TVS SC - not sure what all else he has on there - Stainless works long tubes and a coil over susp. Kit I think but not sure if he has the lower pulley on it or not right now. The HP would be his engine power as i think he's sitting in the mid to upper 600's for rwhp. His car has a kick arse radar/laser shifting system and a lot of other goodies on it. If only it were black it would be perfect!

That's George's car. The (unmentioned) brake ducts in the lower grille would be the dead give away.

I have most of the same mods on mine. The ones I don't have make up the 25 hp difference.

George's car is very nicely done. It doesn't scream at you. It whispers, so long as you know what to listen for.

Well the pictures did it, and the license plate just reminded me. I remember thinking at the time that his plate said it all! So, the answer is a huge YES - it was George's car!

So SVTBIRD91 is George, and that was his baby that I saw...Thanks Guys!

Custom made - that explains it - I was thinking that might've been the case but but it was fairly hard to tell. The car is done VERY wel,l and is absolutely beautiful!

I think what "Orf" said about it is dead on, because it's a sleeper (well, as much as a GT500 can be a sleeper) but there are subtle hints at what's inside! :)

I want to give a very big THANK-YOU to everyone on here for helping me figure this out!! It was killing me! I'm still kicking myself for not talking to him about it more in detail at the time, but at least now I know who's car it was...now I can go look him up and to ask him more about it!

Well the pictures did it, and the license plate just reminded me. I remember thinking at the time that his plate said it all! So, the answer is a huge YES - it was George's car!

Custom made - that explains it - I was thinking that might've been the case but but it was fairly hard to tell. The car is done VERY wel,l and is absolutely beautiful!

I think what "Orf" said about it is dead on, because it's a sleeper (well, as much as a GT500 can be a sleeper) but there are subtle hints at what's inside! :)

I want to give a very big THANK-YOU to everyone on here for helping me figure this out!! It was killing me! I'm still kicking myself for not talking to him about it more in detail at the time, but at least now I know who's car it was...now I can go look him up and to ask him more about it!

George is a very knowledgeable guy, and hangs out a lot over at that stang mafia site.

Hi Craig sorry I missed you I was walking around with my son checking out all the great cars there last night. That was the last "official" Sunday night show of the summer at "Heavenly Donuts " in Derby. Did you have a car there too ?

George...

Archived