TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Invisable Bra

diamondback

This looks interesting for pebble protection. Any one done this before?

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html

On this site somewhere, someone had done something to this effect and I won't speak on his behalf, other than it was + positive.

I went onward and Ventureshielded my race bike which is by far many times harder to install than a long flat surface. If you follow the instructions on their video, you can't go wrong.

Patience...patience...patience and cleanliness is everything. Superior material and I did put the material to an extreme pressure stress test and COULD NOT break it. You'll see this application on highend exotic sports cars etc. with a hefty price. I was quoted at $750 at a Mercedes speciality shop in Cleveland and elected to do it myself, again on my supersport bike which was a challenging experience. Now ready for the Shelby with full confidence. The material is everything and I can only speak for myself, ventureshield was it for me.

Airborne

I had this work done over a year ago and I have forgoten that it is even on the car. You have to clean the exposed edges sometimes, and that is why you want as many edges wrapped as possible. That prevents the dirt from getting on the edge and it coming loose.

Like I said...I forgot it's even on. I love not getting rock chips on my 500.

HoodPins049.jpg

What about cleaning your car or polishing it. Will it scratch the protectant over time or will it fog?

You clean and wax it like the rest of the car. You have to use the wax on it too so the UV rays don't fade your paint un evenly. The stuff is gaurenteed for life not to yellow or fog. I'm not having any problems and it has been on for about a year and 3 months.

If an edge gets dirty, you use rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip to clean it.

Did you do this yourself? If so was it difficult? If not how much to install?

I had "Clear Bra of Oregon" do it.

It was expensive because I did not want the standard kit. The standard kit does not go up to the heat extractors. It stops 4-5 inches short of that and leaves the buldge of the hood open for a rock to hit it. The standard kits does not wrap the edges either. You saw all the work I had done in the video. Alot of extras.

It set me back $900 bucks.

It was expensive because I did not want the standard kit. The standard kit does not go up to the heat extractors. It stops 4-5 inches short of that and leaves the buldge of the hood open for a rock to hit it. The standard kits does not wrap the edges either. You saw all the work I had done in the video. Alot of extras.

Thanks much good to know.

are you getting one for the rest of the family too?

No bra for wifey. :happy feet:

That would hurt getting it off daily. :hysterical:

I had the clear bra put on my car as well. So far no chips either. It is a great investment. You have to weight the options of a repaint of your front end against the price of the protection. For me it was a no brainer. The installer on mine cut it between the stripes so water and dirt doesn't get behind it due to uneven surfaces and it all layes flat. At most angles, you can't even tell it is on the car. You care for it the same as the paint on your car. It even shines like the rest of the car. If I had to do it again, I would still buy it. One of the best investments I have made.

Had one installed on mine petty much as soon as it arrived - went with the 3m version - judging by my front license plate frame, it hs earned its keep, the plate frame is beat to hell, numerous rock chips, dents, etc, nothing on the rest of the front end, looks like new at 10,000 miles - was expensive but I view it as another form of insurance

Also had it added to the rocker panels inside each door and the top of the rear bumper for protection when loading and unloading the trunk

It was Grabber's past comments (approx. 6 months ago) plus his video that peaked my interest enough to tackle the job. It really isn't that hard to do IF YOU HAVE PATIENCE and the time to commit. With some body mechanical skills and a great deal of cleanliness you can easily do the job. Check out http://www.invisiblepatterns.com. To save you some surfing time jump to this site for the GT500 cuts, http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/pattern_search.asp#Results. The kit will issue FedEX in a plastic (non-static) map tube along with a 3.5 DVD disc, a squeege, and the pattern proof much like one you would get after developing photos at Click Photo. Make sure you match the cut pattern to you car to ensure the right Year, Make and Model. You'll have to buy two squirt bottle, Johnson's baby shampoo and 91% or better rubbing alcohol. An adjustable heat gun (Wagner multi-heat range) wouldn't hurt but not an absolute. I ended up buying one to speed up the work on another Supersport Bike. Bottomline, you...can...do it and it's not rocket science. If your interested, call (800) 343-1076 and ask for Katie Gaureau, Venture Tape Corp., 30 Commerce Rd, Rockland, MA 02370. The material isn't as expensive as you might think but the work (hourly) IS what you're paying for. This properly applied poly film looks like the paint itself, if you heatgun the stripe seams along the edge you can blend the gap and it will take like butter on a biscuit. I've waxed, polished, and removed countless bugs and no damage. The only down side to this product, not mentioned anywhere is.....DO NOT APPLY alcohol on the surface or it will haze and you'll regret it. The alcohol/water mix is only for the contact to paint surface. NOT THE EXTERIOR. If you do screw this up, all it not lost, you can remove the haze with a hell of alot of elbow grease and a big tube of Scratch X.

Airborne

I went with 3M and am dissappointed. I have a gap all along the edges of the stripes and now have some dirt underneath about 1cm up from the edge of the film. I took my car back and the installer would not do anyting about it. They told me there is nothing any installer could do to make this stick that close to the stripe. Too bad they didn't decide to tell me this BEFORE I had it installed! I mentioned that some on this forum have had it installed with the film cut along the stripe, but he told me it ts an extra seam that would eventually start to peel back. Make sure you confirm with your installer what the best options are! In regards to the 3M film, it seems to have quite a bit of "orange peel" in it, and also I was washing some bug guts off of the hood (with a micro fiber wash mit) and there are now scratches in the film right on top of the black stripe. I am going to have the hood and fenders redone with Venture shield, as it seems like a higher quality film (better shine and no orange peel).

To anyone in Calgary, don't use 3M Trimline, as they do not stand behind their product or their service.

I'm debating on putting the venture shield also. I want them to do the front end, hood, fenders, and about a 1/3 up the doors and rear 1/4 panels to help protect form road kick up. but my biggest concern is if for some reason I need to get it replaced. The shield covers the stripes and I was told that if you try to take it off, it will probably ruin your stripes. what's every ones take on that? I was thinking about having them do around the stripes. I also thought about having them do the entire hood to hide the edges. I think the rest could be hid in the seams.

Also I feel Venture Shield was the best. Does anyone know of anything better?

I went with 3M and am dissappointed. I have a gap all along the edges of the stripes and now have some dirt underneath about 1cm up from the edge of the film. I took my car back and the installer would not do anyting about it. They told me there is nothing any installer could do to make this stick that close to the stripe. Too bad they didn't decide to tell me this BEFORE I had it installed! I mentioned that some on this forum have had it installed with the film cut along the stripe, but he told me it ts an extra seam that would eventually start to peel back. Make sure you confirm with your installer what the best options are! In regards to the 3M film, it seems to have quite a bit of "orange peel" in it, and also I was washing some bug guts off of the hood (with a micro fiber wash mit) and there are now scratches in the film right on top of the black stripe. I am going to have the hood and fenders redone with Venture shield, as it seems like a higher quality film (better shine and no orange peel).

To anyone in Calgary, don't use 3M Trimline, as they do not stand behind their product or their service.

I have a short slit in my ventureshield at the stripe to prevent dirt from getting under the gap. It's working great. 1 year and 3 months old. No problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived