TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock GT500 Alarm

Venix

Is it possible to adjust the sensitivity of the alarm that came with the GT500? Mine goes off if someone drives past it, rains sprinkles on it, or the wind blows the wrong way.

It can be locked up in my garage and it will go off so to avoid making the neighbours cranky, I can never turn it on.

It should not be that sensitive. I tested mine, a coupe and with windows down, I set the alarm then extended my arm in and it went off when I reached for the console between the seats. Also on a trip I stopped to get gas, the wife asleep I set it and I went into the store and she woke and opened the door and got a BIG surprise! Take it to the dealer.

I JUST TESTED MY CARS ALARM WHICH IS A CONVERTIBLE. REACHED MY ARM IN THRU THE OPEN

WINDOW FOR THE CENTER CONSOLE AND THEN " BAM " THE ALARM WAS ROCKING. SEEMS LIKE YOU

NEED TO ADJUST YOUR PROXIMITY SENSOR ; IT IS SET TO SENSITIVE ; AMANDA.

Is it possible to adjust the sensitivity of the alarm that came with the GT500? Mine goes off if someone drives past it, rains sprinkles on it, or the wind blows the wrong way.

It can be locked up in my garage and it will go off so to avoid making the neighbours cranky, I can never turn it on.

The alarm should definately NOT be that sensitive; that would be very annoying. Take it to your dealer to get fixed. Let us know what was done to fix it, as I have read several different posts of this happening.

BTW, it takes 20 seconds for the alarm to arm itself after you lock the car.

The alarm should definately NOT be that sensitive; that would be very annoying. Take it to your dealer to get fixed. Let us know what was done to fix it, as I have read several different posts of this happening.

BTW, it takes 20 seconds for the alarm to arm itself after you lock the car.

I have got a question on the security system that came with the car and the ford authorized system that the dealer installs. Does the stock alarm merely ensure that if the car is towed the horn goes off and the dealer installed alarm will go off if the car is either impacted or the windows are broken? In other words, do you really need the ford authorized, dealer installed alarm as well as the security system that came with the car?

Good luck with taking it to the dealer Amanda, just a 10-12 week boat trip each way should do it.

I haven't heard of this issue and I do not know of anyway to adjust the sensitivity, but I am wondering if the guys from Mustang Motorsport maybe any help. They may have experienced this before, or at least may be very familiar with the systems, having done so many conversions.

If not send me a message and I will try to chase it down through a dealer over here to see if I can get you some help.

I will be in sunshiny Oz on Sunday for a very brief visit of one week. I am actually excited to get home.

I have got a question on the security system that came with the car and the ford authorized system that the dealer installs. Does the stock alarm merely ensure that if the car is towed the horn goes off and the dealer installed alarm will go off if the car is either impacted or the windows are broken? In other words, do you really need the ford authorized, dealer installed alarm as well as the security system that came with the car?

I believe the active alarm system that is standard on the GT500 and the Ford alarm system that the dealer may try to sell you are one-and-the-same. Both have the same features. The finance guy tried really hard to sell me their alarm system while I was trying to convince him that the 500 already comes with one.

The stock alarm system will sense the following:

1. Door, hood, trunk opening.

2. Incline sensor - jack the car and alarm will sound.

3. Motion sensor to detect inside movement.

Don't consider buying the Ford integrated alarm system for your GT500, you already have it.

Look in the Mustang part of your owner's manual for details on the alarm system.

I believe the active alarm system that is standard on the GT500 and the Ford alarm system that the dealer may try to sell you are one-and-the-same. Both have the same features. The finance guy tried really hard to sell me their alarm system while I was trying to convince him that the 500 already comes with one.

The stock alarm system will sense the following:

1. Door, hood, trunk opening.

2. Incline sensor - jack the car and alarm will sound.

3. Motion sensor to detect inside movement.

Don't consider buying the Ford integrated alarm system for your GT500, you already have it.

Look in the Mustang part of your owner's manual for details on the alarm system.

Thanks, 6-Speed. I appreciate your response and will look at the manual.

However, there has to be some difference between the stock alarm and the integrated one. Perhaps the impact sensor as when someone breaks a window or bumps against the car? The ford integrated alarm on my 03 cobra would sound a "chirp" if I merely snapped the wiper against the windshield on the most extreme sensitive setting. But, I do notice that the stock alarm on the GT500 will go off if the front doors are opened. However, it doesn't when either the trunk is opened or when I stick my arm in the open window and move it around.

However, there has to be some difference between the stock alarm and the integrated one. Perhaps the impact sensor as when someone breaks a window or bumps against the car? The ford integrated alarm on my 03 cobra would sound a "chirp" if I merely snapped the wiper against the windshield on the most extreme sensitive setting. But, I do notice that the stock alarm on the GT500 will go off if the front doors are opened. However, it doesn't when either the trunk is opened or when I stick my arm in the open window and move it around.

I believe I still have the brochure for the Ford alarm system, I'll check tonight to see if there are any differences.

rpretzel posted that the alarm is de-activated when you open the trunk with the key FOB. I think it will sound the alarm if someone prys open your trunk lid or pops the hood.

As for the motion sensors, they are in that assembly above the rear-view mirror where the map lights are; you'll see two holes. The alarm requires 20 seconds to arm itself after you lock the doors with the FOB. So wait 20 seconds and then stick your arm in the window.

That's not how mine works. confused.gif When I press the trunk latch button, the alarm is disabled.

The way it works is if you unlatch the trunk, the motion sensors and incline sensors are disabled, however, the doors and hood are still monitored by the alarm.

I checked the brochure and the Ford Vehicle Security system monitors the doors, trunk and hood just like the stock active alarm system, but it does not have the cabin motion sensors and incline sensor. Instead it offers what they call a 2-stage IT-s (Interior Theft Sensor) impact sensor that chirps the horn for light impacts and a 30-second alarm will sound when the vehicle receives more damaging impact. It also appears to kill the starter when armed; that's what the Securilock passive system does on the GT500. There's no need for the Ford system when you already have the stock alarm system. I added a Lojack with early warning.

I checked the brochure and the Ford Vehicle Security system moniotrs the doors, trunk and hood just like the stock active alarm system, but it does not have the cabin motion sensors and incline sensor. Instead it offers what they call a 2-stage IT-s (Interior Theft Sensor) impact sensor that chirps the horn for light impacts and a 30-second alarm will sound when the vehicle receives more damaging impact. It also appears to kill the started when armed; that's what the Securilock passive system does on the GT500. There's no need for the Ford system when you already have the stock alarm system. I added a Lojack with early warning.

I called Ford SVT and confirmed that all 09 GT500s come with the anti-theft as standard. It's part of order code 14A or 820A. It is a "no cost option", meaning that if not ordered, it won't necessarily mean a downward adjustment of price. Now, my car was the 820A. But, the window sticker only listed the securilock passive. So, thinking that I needed an active alarm, you guessed it, I got the Ford authorized alarm (at dealer cost). So, now I am a little miffed. I called 1-800- Ford Key to find out if the two systems are compatibile. They told me yes. It is just another layer of protection. First, it does have the starter lock out, plus shock sensors (bumps or window smashes), and you can have the door locks lock when the ignition is started (I believe ford only has this with automatics). You need to contact them directly or call the dealer for how to program this. Lastly, the blinking light lets you know what area of the car was tampered with and whether the alarm sounded.

So, while I wouldn't have bought the authorized alarm knowing I already had the stock alarm, for the money I paid, it will give me piece of mind when people walk to close and bump into the car and get warned off (if I keep the adjustment to medium, shouldn't have to worry about it being too senstive).

All in all it's moot now, but the last system I had in my 03 cobra lasted until I traded it w/o any problems at all. So, for those who have both, whether knowingly or not, it is not a problem. I may consider the Lojack to lower my insurance just a bit. And I did set it off by waving my arm inside. My problem before was, as noted above, the trunk was open when I did it the first time (I gotta read the manual before I try things out. I am the same with electronics and video games).

Thanks for all your comments.

So, while I wouldn't have bought the authorized alarm knowing I already had the stock alarm, for the money I paid, it will give me piece of mind when people walk to close and bump into the car and get warned off (if I keep the adjustment to medium, shouldn't have to worry about it being too senstive).

So how do you adjust the sensitivity of the Ford IT-s alarm; is there a separate module installed somewhere that has an adjustment knob? I am wondering whether the folks that are encountering sensitivity issues with their alarm actually have the Ford IT-s system as well as the stock system. I guess the way to tell is whether it chirps at you twice when it goes off inadvertently.

When the alarm goes off inadvertently, does it only chirp the horn twice or does it chirp the horn continuously?

So how do you adjust the sensitivity of the Ford IT-s alarm; is there a separate module installed somewhere that has an adjustment knob? I am wondering whether the folks that are encountering sensitivity issues with their alarm actually have the Ford IT-s system as well as the stock system. I guess the way to tell is whether it chirps at you twice when it goes off inadvertently.

The IT manual has a step by step procedure for the authorized alarm that allows for the adjustment of sensitivity. It also refers you to a 1-800-Ford-Key number for other adjustments such as the auto lock feature that doesn't come with the car. Also, if the car comes with the small blinking LED light on the dash as well as the blinking light in the gage cluster, then you have both. As far as I know, the two systems are separate. I am not sure if you can order both from the factory, the IT may just be dealer installed.

Archived