TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Barrett Jackson prices in L.V. likely to fall?

sudden

I am really curious to see the B.J. acton next week with the economy the way it is. I wonder how the Shelbys will hold up? I dont think there is a whole lot of credit money out there for people to by these cars like the last few years. I am bettin there will be a few deals out there to get. I could be wrong. SUDDEN.

I'll be at Barrett Jackson and am also curious as what will happen. I had been thinking on putting one of my cars in the auction but decided against it mainly because of the economy and also with the Vegas auction not having a track record yet.

I highly doubt there will be any "steals" though. Sure some cars may sell for a few thousand less than say a two years ago but its not like you're going to be able to buy a $100k car for say $20k

It should be interesting though.

Steve

I know the guy that sold the Italien 63 Tunderbird concept car this past January. He has tried to "break" into that elite group of classic/special interest car buyers and has had a hard time. Having said that, those guys play in a stratosphere so far out there I'm not too sure they understand the term "down turn", they just have a few million less, no big deal. To them the auction is just a game they use their play money for.

I do think there will be bargins there, crowds will be smaller, the regular Joe will have as good a chance as any to get a deal, but how are the consignments running? Haven't read much to this point to know how they are doing.

I'm going to go the other direction here. It's Vegas. Big money, big drinking, big exposure, massive egos bidding in front of cameras. No deals here.

Should be a good show.

+1

Nothing worse for the muscle car market than BJ. If you want to invest thats one thing but for people who love old iron this was the worst thing to ever happen to the market. Sorry JMO

I believe the prices will go down. The downward trend was already obvious in Scottsdale, where the overall sales figures were down from 2007 (first year-over-year decrease in awhile).

Not all buyers fall into the "high rollers" category. Sure there are guys such as Ron Pratt who can buy cars for $500,000 and above and may be largely unaffected by the current economic climate. However, most cars offered at Barrett-Jackson fall into the more "affordable" category ($150K or less) and are purchased by buyers for which the current economic climate may be much more significant. Personnally, would not sell a car at no reserve at this auction.

I think the economy will reduce prices from the highs, but these are all pretty special vehicles, either very rare or well restored examples of period cars. They won't have the highs of a few years ago, but I don't think you'll see the bottom drop out either. The benchmarks will be what the Mopars go for. Two years ago (in Phoenix) they were all time highs. Last year they were down. We'll see what happens this year.

I was going to go but never heard anything from either BJ or TS about getting in to take pictures of the Barrett Jackson Shelby auction on the stage so we decided to go to the Gateway museum last weekend instead.

Maybe I'll go to Scottsdale in January (but going to CS86 won't work - weather isn't good for going over the Divide and I won't go without taking my car - that's the fun part.)

I'm heading out there with the wife next week. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the prices. I've been teasing the wife that we'll be driving home. I'm thinking the deals may come on the early days before the weekend and the big crowds. Packing my check book just in case.

I know the guy that sold the Italien 63 Tunderbird concept car this past January. He has tried to "break" into that elite group of classic/special interest car buyers and has had a hard time. Having said that, those guys play in a stratosphere so far out there I'm not too sure they understand the term "down turn", they just have a few million less, no big deal. To them the auction is just a game they use their play money for.

I do think there will be bargins there, crowds will be smaller, the regular Joe will have as good a chance as any to get a deal, but how are the consignments running? Haven't read much to this point to know how they are doing.

I went to the BJ website to look at the consignment list and on the home page it says that all consignments are sold out. I also just yesterday received an email from BJ informing me that rooms and weekend packages were just reduced, maybe they are worried that attendance will be light. this may be a good year to buy.

Anyone watch? I saw most of Saturday night and prices were down and I thought the crowds were smaller too. Hard to tell with respect to the crowds, first time there. The white "F" Bird that sold for $140K was pretty good but the 70 Boss 302 for only $60K was a great buy!

I didn't see any 07 GT500s up there. Did I miss it? If so, can someone list the prices they went at?

I attended all three days of the auction and yes there were some good buys mixed in there but only if the sale goes thru.

There is still lots of speculation that many BJ cars are bought back by their owners. So far I'm having difficulty getting a straight answer from the people at Barrett Jackson on what their official position is on this practice.

And yes lots of empty seats both in the bidder and spectator sections.

Steve

I wonder what Ron Pratt is going to bring home with him. Since the meltdown of the housing market, I am not sure what he is looking on buying or if he is going to try and unload some of his goods.

Don't count on it. I have been told he sold his company a year or two ago when the market was hot. The number he got for it was a huge one. He has his own private museum of cars. I would not look for him to be unloading anything anytime soon. He will most likely be buying if prices are indeed down. I saw him buy a few cars at the auction on Speed.

Archived