TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT LOWER BILLET GRILL INSERT

..........billet grill insert for his car,to match the factory one

who is using one and where did you get it???

Shelby performance parts offers two different billet grill's. One is silver and matches the stock billet upper grille that our cars were delivered with. It changes the looks of the front end of the car and a lot of people like it. They offer an identical lower grill that is black. The black billet grill hides and protects the silver radiator fins and provides a more finished appearance than the big open hole in the stock Shelby GT. The black billet grille does not change the looks of the car and most people won't even notice it if they're not looking for it. My car has the black billet grill which I prefer. There are numerous pictures of Shelby GTs with both types of billet lower grills on this forum. Have your buddy examine the photos, pick one out, and give Shelby performance parts or call. While he's at it, if the car you sold him is a 2007, he might want to check out the 2008 upper grille mounting bracket which cleans up the appearance of the upper grille quite a bit and looks much nicer.

Chip

post-12804-1223668846_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1223668846_thumb.jpg

I went with the matching grille from SPP but bought it from a Shelby dealer here in FL,Tampa Bay Shelby.

I know that they were on back order for sometime, it makes the front end look complete...and it does protect the lower part of the radiator from the love bugs :hysterical:

I too hate the idea of drilling but it is a must to install the grille. Finish off by inserting rivets. I agree, pretty simple mod with great result and more oohs and wows....

DSC03252.jpg

Thanks for the PIC chip. Looks great, however, isn't this also the one that you have to drill in order to install?

I like the looks, however, don't like the idea of drilling!

Your only drilling thru plastic and its all hidden behind the snap-in side pieces. Not hard to install.

Please elaborate... :headscratch:

During the 2007 model year the billet grill on the Shelby GT was installed by cutting the chrome Mustang out of the standard plastic Mustang GT grill and then attaching the billet grill assembly to the face of the standard Mustang grill that now has a hole in the middle of it. When you get up close you can look through your billet grill and see the plastic standard Mustang GT grill with a big hole in the middle sitting behind it. During the 2008 model year Shelby used a grill housing to mount the billet grill without leaving the stock grill in place. The billet grill looks much cleaner sitting in that opening without the stock plastic grill sitting behind it. Here is the part number from Shelby performance parts. Unfortunately it does not show a picture of the housing itself but instead shows a picture of the billet grill. The best way to see the difference is to look at the front of the 2008 Shelby GT and see how much cleaner it looks.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...%20Housing.aspx

Chip

During the 2007 model year the billet grill on the Shelby GT was installed by cutting the chrome Mustang out of the standard plastic Mustang GT grill and then attaching the billet grill assembly to the face of the standard Mustang grill that now has a hole in the middle of it. When you get up close you can look through your billet grill and see the plastic standard Mustang GT grill with a big hole in the middle sitting behind it. During the 2008 model year Shelby used a grill housing to mount the billet grill without leaving the stock grill in place. The billet grill looks much cleaner sitting in that opening without the stock plastic grill sitting behind it. Here is the part number from Shelby performance parts. Unfortunately it does not show a picture of the housing itself but instead shows a picture of the billet grill. The best way to see the difference is to look at the front of the 2008 Shelby GT and see how much cleaner it looks.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...%20Housing.aspx

Chip

That piece should be provided for free to 07 SGT owners to get rid of the "butchered" look... Yea right... :doh:

That piece should be provided for free to 07 SGT owners to get rid of the "butchered" look... Yea right... :doh:

This is what the SGT billet grill is attached to on the 07 SGT. On the 08 the entire Mustang GT grill is removed and the billet grill is attached to a bracket that just goes around the outer edge. I removed this from my car and installed the 08 bracket.

Chip

post-12804-1223709313_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1223709313_thumb.jpg

Archived