TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Axel Whine / Groan in 2005 - 2009 Mustangs

Grabber

When you say wine, you mean...? At low speeds I can hear a squeak like sound, almost like a wagon wheel. Is this similar in anyway?

I don't have this problem on my car but from what I have read the noise would be continuess. Not a chirping noise.

• 1 year later...

I don't have this problem on my car but from what I have read the noise would be continuess. Not a chirping noise.

Those pretty little hunks of cast iron reside in a box in my garage somewhere. I have no noise without them. A bit of a poor fix, IMHO.

Wow, this was a pretty old thread. :)

Removing those weights was the first mod I did to each of my Mustangs. I'm not one for knowingly adding unsprung weight.

It my be an old thread....but look at this PDF file and you will see that Ford is using this fix on the 2010 models too.

tsb 09-20-04 Axel Whine.pdf

tsb 09-20-04 Axel Whine.pdf

No connection with mine. I swapped in an entire 3.73 assembly and elected to go without the additional cast iron.

Runs as quiet as the 3.31 assembly did with the weights.

Yes, but it was for the GT's.

08-5-10

8.8 LIMITED SLIP AXLE MOAN/GROAN NOISE DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS

Here it is:

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/s197_TSBs/08-05-10.pdf

Ah, I didn't even notice that they were refering to the GT when I brought my car in for the whole "moan-groan-during-tight-turn" thing. The tech just handed me the TSB and a bottle of friction modifier and said this should take care of it. I didn't put it in yet 'cause I'm replacing with a .373 Motorsports rear end.

I wonder if there is any connection between those who experienced excessive gear whine after swapping to 3.73s and those who removed the axle dampers?

Maybe removal of those dampers should be my next move. I've got the 3.73's and plenty of whine to go with them.

Archived