TEAM SHELBY FORUM

18 inch drag radials

MYGT500

I have, but I bought a pair of the GT500 copy wheels in 17 inch. I got tired of mounting and dismounting tires all the time to go to the track, so I figured a dedicated set of wheels for DR's would be appropriate. I thing the 18" DR's have so little sidewall that they have a difficult time hooking. The 18" DR's available are 35-series.

Regarding tire diameter, the 275/40-17 is shorter than the 285/40-18 by a good bit. I don't have any lights from the ABS system showing-up.

I have, but I bought a pair of the GT500 copy wheels in 17 inch. I got tired of mounting and dismounting tires all the time to go to the track, so I figured a dedicated set of wheels for DR's would be appropriate. I thing the 18" DR's have so little sidewall that they have a difficult time hooking. The 18" DR's available are 35-series.

Regarding tire diameter, the 275/40-17 is shorter than the 285/40-18 by a good bit. I don't have any lights from the ABS system showing-up.

so are you saying your DR don't help...or do they?

Looks Like your in the limit!

275 X .40= 110 285 X .40= 114

114-5%=108.3 is the shortest tire you could have run. You have a differance of only 3%=110.58

You'll be fine!

Tim

Tim, how can the ABS computer tell if the rears are taller? Is there an rpm monitor on the fronts to use as a frame of ref? How would it look any dif than a rear-end ratio change (besides your speedo being off)? Any insight?

-Dan

Tim, how can the ABS computer tell if the rears are taller? Is there an rpm monitor on the fronts to use as a frame of ref? How would it look any dif than a rear-end ratio change (besides your speedo being off)? Any insight?

-Dan

As I understand the ABS system you have what are essentially 4 straight cut gears just inboard of each rotor with a magnetic pick-up similar to a magnetic timing device for the engine. The computer continuously compares the frequency of each wheel to each other. If a difference occurs, the computer detects this as skid and will modulate the brakes under braking to try to keep all the wheels rotating at the same rpm i.e, to prevent skidding.

As I understand the ABS system you have what are essentially 4 straight cut gears just inboard of each rotor with a magnetic pick-up similar to a magnetic timing device for the engine. The computer continuously compares the frequency of each wheel to each other. If a difference occurs, the computer detects this as skid and will modulate the brakes under braking to try to keep all the wheels rotating at the same rpm i.e, to prevent skidding.

Thank you! Nice Job, You are correct! You beat me to it!LOL That would have taken me a whole day to type One finger at a time! LOL

Tim

Thank you! Nice Job, You are correct! You beat me to it!LOL That would have taken me a whole day to type One finger at a time! LOL

Tim

Ooops, sorry.. and thanks... I know how ABS works, but didn't understand how it would detect taller tires -- unless if could compare to the fronts (which I thought aren't monitired). I though your original post was saying that if the tires are more than 5% taller, ABS will sense it and light the dash light. :shrug:

-Dan

Ooops, sorry.. and thanks... I know how ABS works, but didn't understand how it would detect taller tires -- unless if could compare to the fronts (which I thought aren't monitired). I though your original post was saying that if the tires are more than 5% taller, ABS will sense it and light the dash light. :shrug:

-Dan

LOL! I found out about it the hard way when I bought my 01 Cobra. I went outside of the 5% and got stuck with 2 tires I could not use. I didn't want that to happen to anybody else. So I always warn people!

Tim :beerchug:

Archived