TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another GT500 Dies

Venix

I was impressed with how the cockpit stayed together through the rollover. Despite being completely out of control, the car did what is was supposed to in protecting its occupants.

I cannot help but to notice it seems we are seeing more GT500s getting totaled as of late....I know it's gotta be tough on the these owners to see their car after the accident. It's amazing how stable these cars can seem at one moment, then one can break loose in just a milisecond.

Safe driving everyone! :peelout:

:idea: Maybe if people crash enough of them, the value of our cars will go up in the future. :party2:

And with every one that crashes, our insurance rates go up for the car too...

That was scary to watch, I feel bad for the guy. Insurance stops once you take the car onto the track, it is only good on the road. Hopefully he had an additional policy for the track.

Does insurance cover that if yyou are racing?

Only if you are insured for racing or the insurance company doesn't know the truth about the accident.

his insurance paid, and another fellow bought the wreck and rebuilt it.

Yep, that's Tahoe GT, he's the auto shop teacher at my old high school in Walnut Creek, CA. The track is Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA, turn 5a clockwise is where he rolled it. I've been over that hill 100+ times myself, he went up the hill too fast, went weightless, missed the apex, over corrected and the rear-end went out on him; as he started to go off-track his rear drivers side wheel caught the slightly off-camber dirt and over he went.

His '07 was an early one too, he titled his car on August 18, 2006, five days before I titled mine. He came out of it OK, mostly just a brused ego, but what a shame for such a nice guy...

Slow motion video of the crash

DSC_6751.JPG

Yep, that's Tahoe GT, he's the auto shop teacher at my old high school in Walnut Creek, CA. The track is Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA, turn 5a clockwise is where he rolled it. I've been over that hill 100+ times myself, he went up the hill too fast, went weightless, missed the apex, over corrected and the rear-end went out on him; as he started to go off-track his rear drivers side wheel caught the slightly off-camber dirt and over he went.

His '07 was an early one too, he titled his car on August 18, 2006, five days before I titled mine. He came out of it OK, mostly just a brused ego, but what a shame for such a nice guy...

DSC_6751.JPG

I thot I reconized that hill/corner. We've taken our 240Z V8 to that track a number of times for the schools. It took me a while to get that corner dialed in. You have to take it slow a number of times and pick a spot on the track just as you go up the hill (I know it's hard for men to be able to go a little slower :doh: ) once I knew where I wanted to be it was easy. We have a GT500 also and I would be completely horrified if something happened to that car, insurance or no insurance.

Aggie

DSC_6751.JPG

yea, and I was biting my tongue at some of the rudeness in this thread. He always was an exceptionally good guy on this site and others, and I hated to see this happen to him. I always got the impression that owning this car was a stretch for him, so it was tough to see how it turned out, although he did ultimately get the insurance payment. He was also very straightforward about analyzing what happened to him, and did not try to make any excuses.

As a retired race car driver, most of us who did (or do) serious motorsports have a philosophy:

If you can't afford to wad it in a ball and walk away - you don't race it, period. HPDE's are slightly better, but expecting your insurance to cover is a stretch. It depends on your state, policy, etc - plus how good a convincer you are.

I personally am willing to run with the odds. The insurance company makes lots of money and hires lots of people using your premiums that you never get back. Think about it. Same goes for house, car, everything.

Should have started with a local SCCA club (local or regional) and worked his way up. I mowed down alot of cones, pulled back plenty of rubber and did a few too many wheel alignments not to mention brake pad changes before attempting to hit the charger into the 100+ range on a fairly nice track. Regardless of what if, I thank the videographer for sharing this very sobering experience with us all. Like Clint Eastwood said, "a man gots to know his limitations...." My best advise I received on the track was just that, advise from the top runners. Watch your braking, gets some Kumho V710 if you want to win, use your engine (gas) around the turns, get ready to spend some money because this is an expensive sport. When I said "I do"...that was it.

I would have definitely left the handicap tag off the rearview mirror though. :doh:

Airborne

Archived