TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAI Paxton, SAI Whipple or SAI KB, a poll

SAI Paxton, SAI Whipple or SAI KB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you go with?

• SAI Paxton
    • SAI Whipple
    • SAI Kenne Bell

Paxton for the Shelby/Paxton historical significance. I don't think it's an option yet for the 2008 models although Paxton keeps advertising with the 2008 GT-C in the magazines.

edit - also + 2 for the Paxton

1) keep the Ford Racing stock strut tower brace

2) keep the driving lights and brake duct\lower grill "must have" option (read the KB will not allow for allow for this)

I like the Paxton. This is why......

1. The KB location of the air filter, the fact the stock strut tower brace won't work, and you cant use the brake duct/fog kit.

If it was not for these things, my choice would be the KB. (Plus that KB sounds bad ass)

2. The history with Shelby/Paxton is a reason to purchase the Paxton just for because.

I have not even considered the Whipple. Had one on my Lightning and want to try something else. The whipple is a great S/C and sounds cool, I just want different.

Paxton for the Shelby/Paxton historical significance. I don't think it's an option yet for the 2008 models although Paxton keeps advertising with the 2008 GT-C in the magazines.

2) keep the driving lights and brake duct\lower grill "must have" option (read the KB will not allow for allow for this)

Ditto.

post-4213-1223482172_thumb.jpg

post-4213-1223482172_thumb.jpg

I like the Paxton. This is why......

1. The KB location of the air filter, the fact the stock strut tower brace won't work, and you cant use the brake duct/fog kit.

If it was not for these things, my choice would be the KB. (Plus that KB sounds bad ass)

2. The history with Shelby/Paxton is a reason to purchase the Paxton just for because.

I have not even considered the Whipple. Had one on my Lightning and want to try something else. The whipple is a great S/C and sounds cool, I just want different.

KB

1. The air filter on a 2007 is differnt than the 08, the ducts and lights will work

2. The air is 40 degrees or something like that cooler under the bumper than under the hood

3. The V-6 brace works just fine, you can have it painted to match

4. http://kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt.../gt05-06_3v.htm

KB

1. The air filter on a 2007 is differnt than the 08, the ducts and lights will work

2. The air is 40 degrees or something like that cooler under the bumper than under the hood

in that case Rick, I want and vote for the Kenne Bell.

SAI will do mine at some point, it is definately on the LIST!

I'm not a huge fan of the location of the KB intake. I know all the good but it doesn't look great, still I probably would have gone with it if it was available through SAI when I ordered my Whipple. I like KB better as a corp and the SC puts out better numbers than the Whipple.

The historic part of the Paxton is a big selling point but I wasn't excited about the whole front of the motor being taken up by the setup. Also, if you toss or schread a belt on the Paxton your screwed. You have to remove or loosen the whole setup to install a new belt.

My Whipple looks good, runs good, sounds good and is on lots of Mustangs. I'm happy with my choice.

Basically any of them are great and there are lots of other solutions available. Look at the bunch of turbos that are out. Nice as can be. Many choices all of them have their good and bad. Just make a choice and buy one. Have it installed by someone you trust and enjoy. It's better than it has ever been for the aftermarket.

Don

Concur. Plus I thnk it has the best appearance. Just personal preference.

KB

pottydr, Can you please post pics of your air filter setup? I agree the filter is in a better location for cooler air, but is also more likely to suck up H20 into it also. I have personnally had this happen, and its not fun at all. Had a friend do this just last week in his built 2004 Mach 1 with a procharger. Did KB change the intercooler for the 08 cars? How does it differ from the 07? The intercooler, I thought, was the issue with the brake/fogs. please correct me if Im wrong, at this moment I can get the KB installed instead. I would just have to come up with a few more duckets.

-Chris

I forgot about the intercooler, my mistake, I didnt pay attenion because my lights are in the grill, the air cleaner is tucked up high under the bumper, If it ever rained here that might be a problem, but it does not rain here and as low as my car is, I think it would come in the doors before it reached the aircleaner, when I get home I will look under the car and check it out, Rick

I find it funny that these are the only three options anyone considers because although it's not shelby sponsored on most other forums the saleen sc is what most people go with and push... best low end torque good power band assuming you don't want to go hardcore and easy install as well as you can still use braces without a problem in many cases. I really want to go with a shelby sponsored sc but I'm leaning towards the saleen. Although I don't have a SGT but instead a shelby hodgepodge of sgt/cs8/gt500 loving. I wanted a very specific look that only a merge of all three could provide so I built it myself. However this would be the first non shelby mod that I would do... Just wonder if anyone else has considered this route.

I find it funny that these are the only three options anyone considers because although it's not shelby sponsored on most other forums the saleen sc is what most people go with and push... best low end torque good power band assuming you don't want to go hardcore and easy install as well as you can still use braces without a problem in many cases. I really want to go with a shelby sponsored sc but I'm leaning towards the saleen. Although I don't have a SGT but instead a shelby hodgepodge of sgt/cs8/gt500 loving. I wanted a very specific look that only a merge of all three could provide so I built it myself. However this would be the first non shelby mod that I would do... Just wonder if anyone else has considered this route.

I have seen photos of one or two SGT's with Roush superchargers. One was submerged in a lake and later engulfed in flames (according to the strange story posted here a while back). I don't know if the two were the same car or not.

Sounds like you have a nice ride that you have built up. I personally wish the SGT convertible had a ducktail spoiler to look more like the 1968 Shelby convertibles. In order for the SGT's to be updated in the registry as a GT/SC, the supercharger has to be the above brands and installed by SAI or Shelby Authorized Mod Shop like Tasca or Quantam.

Shelby or not, it's your car, if supercharging your car with a Saleen is what you want, go for it!

I've been wondering if the new ram air intake version of Saleen's SC would fit under the Shelby hood scoop; now that would be a COOL setup :)

I will go with a Paxton on my SGT mainly for the Shelby historical value. I have a Roush blower on my 06 GT and it is quick off the line and really throws you back in the seat. Having a centrifugal in the Shelby and a roots style in the GT will give me the best of both worlds.

Moabman (on this site) has the Saleen SC on his MGT and loves it! Runs Jim D'Amore/JDM Engineering's (masters of the 3V in Freehold, NJ) set-up including their tweaks/reprogramming to the automatic to handle the big low-mid torque. He loves the whole set-up.

I obviously went with the Whipple. It has a clean install, looks great and operates the same. Paxton, Vortech etc are ok but too much piping etc with an intercooler. Too busy in there. The Whipple has a bad ass sound as well barking out the exhaust when you get on it and not WOT either. No annoying whine at all at idle or anywhere I can hear. I've liked Shelby since I first saw them in the 60s, but if they were every thing we always wanted in a car then why are we modding them at all with any of the S/C kits no matter who they are or who installs them. I do it to personalize it to my liking an no one else. That's why Shelby, Steeda, Roush, Saleen all are out there to assist in making the basic Mustang a bad ass car. I just don't get wrapped up in the history aspect of it all and if I was concerned about a collector value I would have left the car be as it did not roll out of the factory with any S/C on it and was not on the window sticker as a S/C car. Most of the cars in the 60s were not S/C cars either. Just my 2c. :happy feet: :lurk:

Reading all the various inputs I think I prefer the Paxton. Too easy to get sucked in to the keep up with the Jones's want list based on everyones comments. S/C is not in my immediate future due to our nations current economic situation.

Reason to do it is to put a little more hp with the way it handles. Added billet Lower control arms today that I got at the 2008 Dearborn Event and see some improvement. Like to have it more of a sleeper so when some one want to play with me, they will be shocked.

Price is important

Keeping the brace

Want the driving lights with a black loer grille insert.

Archived