TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear brake pads cracked...anyone else??

vapor08GT500

Today it was slow at the shop, so I pulled my 08 Vapor on my rack to inspect brakes as they were groaning from the rear. I have been waiting 3 weeks for the clutch/trans TSB, so figured I'd put on the rack to see what I could find wring with the brakes. Long story short, the rear brake pads in 2800 miles are cracked through the center?? Anyone else had this issue?? My Torch Red 07 GT500 had 74K miles when I sold it (I drove it it ALOT as you can tell!!) and I still had the original rear pads with no problems. These 08 has been a disaster since day 1 (read my last post) I wish I never sold my 07!!! So far since I bought this car in June (March 11th 08 build date) I have had the folowing problems in no particular order:

Factory Heat exchanger leaking from weld so I replaced with an AFCO at 200 miles

Power steering leak from hose, bought and replaced myself at my shop as I didn't want to take to dealer at 200 miles

Rear end howl upon decelleration at any speed from 45 mph up from day one. Took to dealer at 400 miles, they told me to let it break in more (07 never did it) at 1900 miles they replace ring and pinion and supposidy rebuilt limited slip...still whines!!! Told dealer I wanted new rear end....today I pulled rear end cover off to repaint cover as paint was peeling and fluid had metal and friction material in it terribly!!!

Clutch chatter and failure of both Grabber's tests since new

Brake groan from rear since new worse after 1500 miles cracked brake pads in rear

parking brake button rattles, dash rattles...my 07 had NONE...this one is like a 300K mile New York Taxi!!

line rubbing on crank dampner and scored belt...fixed myself

Throw out bearing loud when idleing in nuetral

Don't you all think this is excessive?? I have an Evolution stage 4 kit, upper and lower rear arms, Steeda front and rear slotted brake kit, Alcoa Shelby wheels, SAI carbon fiber front splitter and Trufiber hood all waiting to go on this one, but I'm seriously getting frustrated and having second thoughts!! Car is stock now excpet for the Afco HE and has not been raced or to the track yet...

This is the worst of any Shelby, Cobra, Saleen, Roush, Viper, or Z06 I have ever owned..and I have owned Alot in my business!! This car has spent more time at the dealer than being driven by me!! Feedback from anyone???

WOW!!!

2007-No problems.

74K Miles?

Holy :censored:

Do you sleep? :hysterical:

:shift: :car: :peelout:

:hysterical:

Does the 2008 fall into the lemon law catagory?

not alot...I am a car dealer and loved my 07 so I driove it alot as you can tell!!! It was a great car with few issues, the 08 is a disaster and won't qualify for the lemon law until it returns to the dealer 3X for the same problem...not sure what direction I want to go with it as of yet...

If it were me I'd try to put a few thousand miles on the car before installing the aftermarket stuff. Calif. has pretty good lemon laws but it you've got performance mods it will give them a way out of a buyback.

Yes, I know...that's whay until these things get fixed I am holding off with the mods...I f I keep having to retrun to the dealer I am going to start the lemon law process...

Is there a chance that your parking brake cables are adjusted too tightly? I had that problem on my 2007.

don't believe so...car would roll fine when parking brake not on and rear wheels trun fine when parking brake off and on lift...

i just had my brakes checked and lubed during the 15k mile service. front and rear both looked great. tech said at least 75% remaining. i know i'm not using them like i should :hysterical: but i am not babying them either.

vapor, good luck with the brake pads and all of the other issues. really sounds kinda flukey and a potential lemon situation. it might be a pain in the ass, but you should seriously consider approaching this with fomoco.

i just had my brakes checked and lubed during the 15k mile service. front and rear both looked great. tech said at least 75% remaining. i know i'm not using them like i should :hysterical: but i am not babying them either.

vapor, good luck with the brake pads and all of the other issues. really sounds kinda flukey and a potential lemon situation. it might be a pain in the ass, but you should seriously consider approaching this with fomoco.

Glad to hear yours are still good...I got 52K out of the fronts and still had original rears at 74K when I sold my 07. Going back to dealer when all tsb parts come in...hope it all gets fixed so I can get on with my mods...

Wow!! 74k miles.

What does that calculate to in fuel costs? :spend:

Good question...I never really though about it...just always used 91 in CA and the highest octane available when out of state...even with 74K miles the 07 ran perfect and made 560 at the rear...all I ever really did to it was routine maintaninceand repainted the front bumper and hood...I don't know of anyone else out there that drove their Gt500 as much as I drove my 07!!

You track your car at all? I cracked a set of pads on the Terlingua on my 3rd lap on the track. Seems I cracked my second set of pads with my first session on them as well. I won't know until I jack it up and pull the wheels off. These are all my rear pads. Quantum informed me (with the first set) that it was heat cracked and replaced them with a more "performance" pad.

You track your car at all? I cracked a set of pads on the Terlingua on my 3rd lap on the track. Seems I cracked my second set of pads with my first session on them as well. I won't know until I jack it up and pull the wheels off. These are all my rear pads. Quantum informed me (with the first set) that it was heat cracked and replaced them with a more "performance" pad.

No, just a street car...what pads did you end up buying for replacements??

Archived